The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

m401 Batteries

Discussion in 'M-401/402 "Mini" & M403 Super Mini' started by Saints, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. RBS

RBS Full Member

Apr 27, 2010

Hey Norby, lucky you

I happen to vape at least as much as I used to smoke, maybe more?(2 packs a day)

That being said, I'm charging these batteries twice a day each. It's only been a couple weeks since I got the manuals in and they are working just fine, so far. The stainless one seems to loose charge just a bit sooner than the black one, maybe half hour? Still, thay are both lasting about 3-4 hrs from a full charge.

I wanted to try the stainless because of Papa's trouble with the discoloration issue, no problem so far. I don't really like the mint green LED on mine, harder to see in the sunlight, if blinking.

My auto 402 is still going stronge!(looking for some wood to knock on)

Brady, sorry your having so much trouble, are you using auto batt's only?

2. PapaJoe8

PapaJoe8 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 10, 2010
    Texas DFW Area
    Brady, that IS bad luck! I was hoping the new ones you ordered would do better! I am still sayin that maybe Smoore is having some QC issues? My 2 batts I was having some probs w/ , black manual and SS auto, have started doing better. It seamed that the more they got charged, the better they acted.

RSB, glad your SS is showing no discolor. The manual that died was the worst discolored. I think it must have shorted out somehow? I have two autos and just looked but.. no discolor to speak of. I also have 2 more manuals and both are discolored but... knock on wood, are still working. It will be interesting to see how your SS manual does.

My black auto from Mothers Day is still working fine. Go figure.
    Joe

3. Brady

Brady Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 22, 2009
    MN

I will 2nd that to Norby

No, I have autos and manuals. the manuals are fine with the exception of 1 which is irritating me..

4. PapaJoe8

Jun 10, 2010
    Texas DFW Area
    To bad there is not a way to look at this stuff and tell who makes it. Like a secret marking of some kind.

I know some experienced vapors, or is that vapers?, who will not use anything that has a proprietary batt like what we use on the 401s. They think they are a rip off. They want batts like the mods use.

Brady, maybe it's time for you to try a mod? I am experimenting w/ a dse905 but am yet to get the flavor of the 40xs. Great vapor though. It uses a 14500. I want to try a mod w/ a smaller batt though.
    Joe

5. Norby

Norby Full Member ECF Veteran

Apr 30, 2009
    Emporia, Kansas
    Hey - that would be a cool idea: a M-40x battery mod. Do a standard 3.7V box mod but for a M4 atty. I think I've read (somewhere on here) that an M4 atty works pretty good at 3.7V.

I'd try it, but I've already got new toys to try out. I did order a 510 - M401 adapter to try my M4 attys on my new eGo. Maybe after that.

Edit: I was incorrect - I read the M4 atty works good on an eGo, but that 3.7v might be too much for an M4.

6. PapaJoe8

Jun 10, 2010
    Texas DFW Area
    Yep Norby, 3.7 might be to much for a M401 atty. I have also heard that 4x atty might work good an an Ego type batt.

It's the 4x batts that we are having probs with. We just need a way around them if they are not going to work right. Ego/Riva type might work? But now we will need another charger and adapters for our 4x attys.

It would be easier if the 4x batts would just work like they used to.
    Joe

7. RBS

RBS Full Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Well, my last original auto 402 battery gave up the ghost yesterday, 3 months to the day as matter of fact, down to the 2 manuals now.

The manual batteries are doing fine so far and I just noticed a slight discoloration on my stainless one, opposit of the button at the thread end. Three weeks in on the manuals now, hope they last at least another month.

I did order an Ego to try, should make a good backup:laugh:

8. PapaJoe8

Jun 10, 2010
    Texas DFW Area
    RBS, so are you going to try your Ego w/ an adapter on your 40x attys? Please report if you do.

Not there is the 60x from Smoore. Supposed to have great flavor like the 40xs. Kinda hard to get right now though and some folks are having probs w/ the attys.
    Joe

9. Brady

Brady Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 22, 2009
    MN
    I am hearing from a couple suppliers that they are considering deleting "smoore" from their inventory because of the returns and problems..
    I wont say who just yet as its not confirmed

10. PapaJoe8

Jun 10, 2010
    Texas DFW Area
    Brady, good to see you! Did you get my PMs? Yep, that was my suspicion that Smoore was having some QC issues. Have you read around the forum that the ego/tornado works good w/ 40xs? That might be the way to go? Assuming the attys stay good. The suppliers need to make Smoore make good on the probs and straighten up their act! Brady, I would think that, even though it is a hassel, the suppliers would do everything they could to make you happy. A free trip to Europe would be nice. :~)

My auto 2 batts that were acting funny have straightened up their thinking and are acting sanely. Go figure.*&^#@ These things DO have a mind of their own. That leaves my only prob to be a SS manual that died after 2 weeks.

I have had some attys die but that is to be expected.

My 40xs are still my go to vape. My recently acquired dse905 cant compare in the flavor game. It's not so bad though and the batt lasts all day. I have 901 carts and kr808 cartos to use w/ it. I do hear that 3.7v is tooo high for 401 attys though.I think there must be something that gives great flavor at 3.7 but I just have not found it yet.

My next step is the ego/riva I think? But then there are the Smoore 60xs? I think I will hang on for awhle and see.
    Joe

11. PapaJoe8

Jun 10, 2010
    Texas DFW Area
    Oh, and after a few weeks I think I have the Highping plug mod down right. What a great vape and flavor it makes and... lasts a loong time on a 401 XL cart.
    Joe

12. RBS

RBS Full Member

Apr 27, 2010
    PapaJoe,

Not to continue the wayward direction of this thread, but if your looking for better flavor try that Ego, made my flavors come alive!

Got a feeling my 401 manuals are gonna last, while I abuse my new Ego:)

13. PapaJoe8

Jun 10, 2010
    Texas DFW Area
    What's that song about tha wayword wind?

RBS, are you using the Ego w/ 510 attys? Or, have you tried it w/ the 401 attys? If 401 batts are not going to work right then maybe an Ego w/ 401 attys might be the answer for 401 users?

Ok, no one else having probs w/ 40x batteries?
    Joe

14. RBS

RBS Full Member

Apr 27, 2010
    We're getting away from the 4xx battery issue sorta, but I'm using stock 510 atties on the Ego.

I believe there is another thread on the subject of 4xx atties on the Ego battery.

Not trying to be rude....just trying to stay on the subject of this thread.

It's too bad that the 4xx bats seem to be so unreliable, they do make a good entry level unit, yet the novelty has worn off of this user.

15. PapaJoe8

Jun 10, 2010
    Texas DFW Area
    RBS, if Smoore is not going to correct the QC issue they may be having, then yes, many of us will need to find ways to deal w/ the battery issue. I have not had so bad a luck as out of 9 batts, being used by two of us, only one died early. The others acted strange but have kept going and are most times doing OK. Some of the first batts I got are still working fine after months of use.

Still on topic I think is to consider a way use other types of batts w/ our great flavor 40x attys. Many of us may move on to bigger and better stuff. Although many long time vapors, who have all kinds of other equipment, still use their 40xs.

I have acquired a DSE905 and am using 901 attys and 808 cartos w/ it. I like it but... still use my 40xs.

RSB, how does the flavor of your Ego w/ 510 attys match up w/ your 40xs?

And, I am wondering what kind of batt mod might work best w/ our 40x attys? The answer to this could free us from our dependence on 40x batts.
    Joe

16. RBS

RBS Full Member

Apr 27, 2010
    I haven't purchased an adapter from the 510 to M4 yet. As I understand, there is a small voltage difference between the the 510 and the M4, the 510 being a tad higher. That may cause the M4 atty to burn out sooner?

I agree that if there is a QC problem with the M4 bats, then we may need to be looking for an alternative way to get the use from our M4 series parts.

17. PapaJoe8

Jun 10, 2010
    Texas DFW Area
    RBS, I said that wrong, sorry. I meant... how does the flavor of your Ego, w/ 510 attys, match up w/ the flavor of your 40x e-cigs. I have heard some say they still use their 40xs along w/ their higher power stuff. I have my 905, w/ 901 atty, going but still have 2 of the 40xs on my desk. I kinda like havin 3 flavors to switch around on. And... I still want my 40xs sometimes.
    Joe

18. Taelon

Taelon Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 20, 2008
    DE-Germany
    Takeback. Have been used to USB-Passthrough, has got little higher voltage.

2 M401 + 1 M403 batteries are fine with rare usage since order from HG in 12/09.

19. Andy401

Andy401 Full Member

Aug 5, 2010
    UK Midlands
    Hi folks,

I have had no problems with EVO batteries, they are expensive but seem to do me well, I get about 6 hours from one charge, vape mod/heavy usage, it varies. The cut off is annoying, very annoying, but I got used to it.
    Come to think of it, I have an EVO battery that has lasted me over a year!!!!!! It still works as it did on day one..........probably jinxed that now, wonder if that is a record for a 401 battery lol

I like the auto's, just don't last as long...and they will not charge consistently on my pcc, the auto's charge like a dream and I love the PCC, but manuals are hit and miss as to wether they charge or not. I think there has been a thread on this, seems a problem with the PCC that is cropping up with a lot of users.

20. Taelon

Taelon Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 20, 2008
    DE-Germany
    No, Takeback, not fine at all, low voltage, low vapor, rather unusable :(

I haven't noticed the low quality/quality loss cause I'm using the M401 USB Battery mainly.

Can someone confirm the todays M401 batteries from HG are usable with good vapor before I buy new ones?

I think I should better buy new DSE901 batteries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.