The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

MadVapes Weekly Contest - November 17 through November 21

Discussion in 'MadVapes' started by Crowedude654, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. tick22

tick22 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 18, 2014
    Vanceboro, NC
    Yes I have started to learn the art of building coils and wicking. been about 2 months and have conquered the veritas, kayfuns, Plum Veil, magma, Tobh as well as some easier beginner RDAs... Hardest to master was the Veritas, darn dual vert or horz coils with that top nut. Still have trouble with the Omega but we all do with the sunken post holes below that ridge.

2. Heden Aklowd

Heden Aklowd Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Ferntucky, NV
    Yes I rebuild for better flavor.
    I use hemp fiber for the higher burn temp.
    I was rebuilding Protank 2s & RTAs, but now I'm into dripping.
    [​IMG]

3. SLane

SLane Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 3, 2012
    North Carolina
    I've bought 2 Cartomizer and Atomizer Ohm Meter, sample sizes of organic cotton wick, silica wick and bamboo wick. I've also bought sample sizes of 32ga Kanthal A1 wire, Nichrome 80 Wire 32GA and Nichrome 80 Wire 34GA. I've bought the little tiny screwdriver. I have tons of old protank replacement heads and vivi nova replacement heads. I've done the research and watched the vids and I think I have everything I need. Now I just need some time to sit down and give it all a try and also to find out what wire and wick the dh and I like best.

So no, I don't rebuild. Yet. :)

P.S. For you rebuilders, Is there anything I'm missing before I start?

4. Fattlestar

Fattlestar Ultra Member Verified Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I don't rebuild. Mostly because I am intimidated by it, and don't believe that I'll be able to manage it without exploding batteries and other nasty things. I'm also not happy with the idea of investing in more stuff right after getting started vaping - the basics put a huge dent in my wallet.

5. Majestic

Majestic Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    N.E. Wisconsin
    Currently I do not rebuild. Maybe I will try it some day, but for now manufactured attys will have to do.

6. GreenLeaf

GreenLeaf Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jun 11, 2013
    Texas, USA
    I rebuild clearomizers on occasion.

7. kathi17

kathi17 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 30, 2013
    Stonington, ME, USA

Not an entry

Yeah, you'll kick yourself. :) I'm lazy too, and would much rather just open a box. I really don't enjoy coiling and wicking, but it's so much better that I do it anyway. The one time since I started rebuilding that I tried a prebuilt was on vacation a month or so ago. I used that tank for less than half a day, and then went back to my rebuildable toppers. There's just no comparison, even for someone like me, who doesn't enjoy rebuilding.

8. kathi17

kathi17 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 30, 2013
    Stonington, ME, USA
    Not an entry

Are you rebuilding things like Kangers? I just wondered, because you are using 32 and 34 ga wire. Those will be much more difficult than larger wire if you have an RDA. If you have a good starter RDA like a Nimbus or Igo L, you would be better off starting with 28 ga if you have a fairly powerful APV, or 30 ga if you are using something like an MVP or Spinner. (30 ga heats up faster than 28).

If you are rebuilding Kangers or the like, those are much more difficult to rebuild than most of the RBAs.

9. GPC2012

GPC2012 ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 12, 2014
    Reedley Ca
    My answer has to be yes and no. I rewick, but I am no able to rebuild technically because of the arthritis in my hands. I am able to set up the wick for my caterpillar dripper. I wish I could but the intricate movements just cause too much pain in my knuckles and hands.

10. Noble Gas

Noble Gas Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2014
    California
    Why yes, I rebuild. At first, I got into it mainly because of financial limitations. Buying new packs of coil heads for my Protanks and clearos was too expensive, so I got an RDA and some Kanthal. After acquiring some skill at it through practice, I came to really enjoy it. Also, the flavor and vapor production of rebuildables was, for me, far superior and much more satisfying than any other gear I had, as well as being considerably more affordable and reliable. I love that there are many ways to vape and always encourage others to try them all; but for me, a Kayfun or a dripper on top of a mechanical mod is the perfect vape.

As always, thanks to Mike and Mad Vapes for another great contest! Best of luck to everyone!

11. wvducklady

wvducklady Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 23, 2013
    US
    Yes, I rebuild! When I first started vaping I purchased so many disposable tanks until i found out about tanks that you could just replace the coils......and then I purchased tons of replacement coils for a while. lol While researching one day I disvovered that I could rebuild my coils myself! I was so excited when I rebuilt my first coil!
    So, I rebuild because it is cheaper, my rebuilt coils last longer, and I do not have to worry about running out of coils!

Thanks Madvapes! Good luck everyone :)

12. ZipperPhil

ZipperPhil Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 4, 2014
    United States
    not yet but i need to start

13. Jshawnbleacher

Jshawnbleacher Full Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Lancaster, PA. USA
    No I do not at this time. I just started e-cigarette to stop smoking. I am using an innokin clk 1280 at this time and am starting to look at other option including building my own. I have been a technician for low voltage systems for 25 years so understand the concept so will give it a try as soon as I get comfortable on no analogs.

Thank you
    Shawn

14. kc05

kc05 Full Member

Sep 22, 2014
    United States
    No, I do not rebuild. I'm not opposed to it tho, maybe I will learn how to after finals end this semester and I have more time. :)

15. KC1BLE

KC1BLE Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 10, 2014
    Concord
    I have rebuilt my first, started on my evod, made my own coil with 32g Kanthal, it was much easier than I thought it would be. I will definitely be doing more.

16. DavidOck

DavidOck ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Yes,I do rebuild. Started that with Kanger style single bottom coils, and saw an improvement in the vape quality. And while some of those types of toppers are sitll in my rotation, after getting my first Kayfun, and the ability to coil it any way I want, they don't see as much use.

17. muffaburn

muffaburn Full Member

Jun 19, 2009
    ATL
    Yes I rebuild. Just started getting into dripping so I have no choice but to do so and also for the cost saving and satisfaction of DIY.

18. WifeyCO

WifeyCO Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 26, 2014
    Mile Hi City
    I have rebuild 2 coils for Protank2s. I just recently got all the stuff needed, but I feel awkward doing it. I will give it another try when I have some down time and can ease into it. I have a few very sweet people that have offered to help me and I will someday.

19. Wraith504

Wraith504 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 25, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Yes i rebuild. I am a mechanic. I have always liked working with my hands. Gives me something to do, a sense of accomplishment when the build is finished.

20. ProjektMayhem

ProjektMayhem Super Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Mooresville, NC, USA
    Man that's a loaded question. I like being able to tweak my vape to just how I like it. At first I didn't really want to get into rebuilding because I was a little bit intimidated by all of the information about safety, batteries, battery safety, coiling, wicking, airflow, and all that stuff. But I learned a lot and finally bought myself a Nimbus with stock air holes from Madvapes and it sucked lol. So I got a real RDA, a Tobh from Madvapes and finally got a good build in there and vaped on it for the first time and I got such amazing flavor from it compared to the clearos I dealt with in the past. Ever since that day it's been building all the time. That's why I rebuild. For more flavor, more vapor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.