MadVapes Weekly Contest - November 17 through November 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
I've started rebuilding this past week. I purchased a Kayfun clone and a Dark Horse clone to get my feet wet with building my own coils. I primarily did this due to cost, but I also am finding that I'm not liking the flavor of my juice in my Kanger and Aspire tanks. The non-rebuildable coils are simply too expensive. I bought my first mech mod and I must say the vapor is much more tasty with a cotton wick!

vap3d70

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2012
hudson valley ny
I rebuild... like others, I started off trying to save a few bucks here and there just rewicking kangers, but that was always a royal pita and they wasnt worth the effort most of the time, even with money being as tight as it was.
My first attempts at building actual coils came with an aga t2 and all I can say is thank god my svd was smart enough to recognize my lack of coiling skills and shut itself down. However the few times I would get it right, it was AMAZING... Eventually I slowly started getting better at it, and as luck would have it, I won an EHpro valkyrie from our good friends at MadVapes! I was excited as could be, but as soon as I went to build my first coil on it, I had a sudden burst of fear and anxiety knowing I wouldnt have the safety net my svd provided. And so it sat there on my desk for a few weeks, just taunting me until I just HAD to use it. I finally built a single (like 3 ohm) coil on it (metered it 100x) and thought not too shabby. After a week of that and watching a lot of videos, I put on my big boy coils and built my first dual coil that measured in at I believe .8 ohm... I was scared as hell! The lowest I ever used prior was 1.5... I held it out at arms length, closed my eyes and pushed the button. When I heard the sizzle, I almost crapped myself, and when I opened my eyes, I couldnt believe the fog coming out of it. I must have repeated this until I had burned through almost 10 ml of juice before I finally took a hit off it. That was probably one of the best vapes I ever had in my life!!!
I was still too scared to have it be my daily driver and went back to my svd for a while and ocasionally used the valk with a single coil...
As fate would have it, I dropped my aga and shattered it. Until I could get a replacement tank for it, my only choice for dual coil joy was to use the valkyrie.
The difference this time was that by now my coils were much more consistent... and as a result, I never did get a replacement glass for the aga, and I dont even remember the last time I used my svd other than using it to check the voltage on my batteries.

Sorry for the big wall of text and thanks for another great contest!

2DresQ36

Oct 12, 2014
Charlotte, NC, USA
No, I don't rebuild. I'm new and have only been vaping for two months. To be honest, the only reason that I don't is that I don't really know how other that watching youtube. I still haven't taken the dive to make these purchases. As I learn more and my comfort level increases, I don't doubt that I will take a leap of faith into rebuilding.

super dave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2012
1 Mile High
Do you rebuild? Why or why not?

Yes and I've just started really getting into my own builds, well I have rebuilt some small coil heads before with 30 & 32ga kanthal coil wire and silica wick and now I have a true RBA and have been winding some different gauges of kanthal coil wire along with cotton wick! The main reason's I'm doing this is 1, I can rebuild old burnt out coil heads...2, I can adjust the coil resistance and per power can fine tune the atty for better vapor flavor & 3, I like to be able to take apart, build & maintain my own devices, along with being able to experiment with the many types of builds that can be done! :vapor: :)

Thanks for the MadVapes Weekly Contest and excellent prizes! :thumbs:

djironic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2014
Denver
Great contest! Very nice equipment. :)

I own both RBAs and RDAs and rebuild them all, when I have time. The flavor is a different world with a rebuilt atty, and the vapor production is usually much better than even the best clearos (I have a Nautilus and a Aerotech Mega to compare). Generally wrap with 28 gauge (straight and twisted) or 30 gauge (parallel). The twisted and parallel seem to give the best flavor. I wick exclusively with CelluCotton rayon (though I've been interested in trying Japanese cotton).

When I don't have time (I have a toddler, so that is more often than not, unfortunately), I keep some spare heads around to slap in one of my clearos to get me through until I can get something built. Nautilus usually works well enough to keep me from getting frustrated, lol...

Phoenix07013

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2012
clarkston, mi, USA
Yes-ish. currently I'm perfectly happy using a Nautilus, however, I like the tinkering aspect of building coils. I recently purchased an Orchid V4, which I love, and I have a few genny style rbas that I've made into auto-drips from a video I found here. Initially I thought I liked rebuild ambles from a price perspective, but realistically I like to be able to control what kind of cool I get.

DEAc23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2014
Washington
Do you rebuild? Why or why not?

I have rebuilt a couple of Protank 2 coils, but I didn't like them at all. I think it was the wicking material I used (Ekowool with a Silica core), so I haven't rebuilt any more. I've been meaning to order some Silica wick like what comes in the stock PT2 coils, I just never got around to it.

Now I'm planning to buy a Kayfun style RTA (probably an EHPro KFL+ v2 or an Eleaf Lemo), and possibly an Igo-L RDA. Of course I will also be getting a bunch of 28/30 gauge Kanthal, Silica wicking material (I'm a little reluctant about using cotton), and probably a DMM/Ω meter. So very soon I will be getting much more involved in rebuilding :)

phager

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2010
Monongahela, PA
For a while I was rebuilding using a dripper, but when I saw how much money I was spending on e-liquid I decided to go back to a tank.

Not An Entry ,

DIYing was my way around that little problem, and since I reduce my nic level when dripping, that makes it all the cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread