Not open for further replies.

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
For all of you micro coil guys and gals-
This may be old news, but I just got some 3mm "hollow" ekowool wick in the mail today and it was a bit thick for the genesis I planned on using it with. Cut a length to see if I could knock down the diameter a tad, and found these in the center:

image.jpg

Seems like these would be good for anyone using silica with micro coils?

Xobeloot

The Dirty Monkey
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Grafenwöhr, Germany
This may be old news, but I just got some 3mm "hollow" ekowool wick in the mail today and it was a bit thick for the genesis I planned on using it with. Cut a length to see if I could knock down the diameter a tad, and found these in the center:

View attachment 233500

It takes 3 of those to properly wick a 1/16" micro :p

Stack 3, bend a piece of wire around the middle, feed the wire so the strands fold in half and manhandle through the coil.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

lctrc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2010
VA
I need to stop clicking this thread. Don't have an RDA. Sold my only RBA. Awaiting my next RBA (Kayfun Lite). But - I've got 28g, 30g, 32g, 0.8 ribbon, 1/16" bit, 1mm ekowool, Super-X-approved cotton, and even some 2mm Twik ekowool (cotton core) all waiting. I'm probably going to end up making a couple dozen micro- and mini- coils in the first week just to find out what combination(s) I like...

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California

View attachment 233500

There are two versions of Ecowool 3 mm, one with threads in the middle and one without. Same with some other sizes of Ecowool also.

lunchbox0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2011
nm
I would like to start by thanking super_x_drifter, statistic, pdib, and the many others that posting information in this thread. With your help i have experienced my best vape to date using a micro coil. Currently using a igo-w with a single 1/16" 28g 12 wraps ~1.5Ohm and it is great! I also have a KTS+ with a A6 mini dual coil 30g 1/16" 10 wrap(maybe 11) @ .7Ohm that is a ridiculous thick vapor producer.

For those looking for a easy way to twist wire without a drill, Harbor freight has these http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-safety-wire-twisting-pliers-45340.html

They clamp on the wire and lock in place, making it easy to twist with. I prefer to use these over my drill for twisting wire.

I haven't logged on in over a year but had to say thanks, now I'm going back to hiding before someone gives me the "you need a reo" talk.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Yeah, didn't want to poo-poo the train of thought. silica doesn't work so good. Save the coil and stuff some shredded Q-tip in there!

edit: although that does look smaller in diameter than doc Supe's prescribed 1/16". Sterile cotton from a cotton ball or q-tip will keep up; but you might get better flavor from a slightly bigger diameter coil.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
The thread is getting long: so, brief summary. Wrap onto a 1/16" drill bit or 16 gauge needle. Wraps touching, crunch 'em. Long legs work great here, get that coil at least half-way to the rim of the deck (many go right to the rim). Air flow is important on these. Play with what you like. air going under increases TH and sharpness of flavor (acidity). Air going over the top has gentler flavor, but muted. Right in the mid-coil is popular.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Gave it a quick shot on the IGO- 30g wrapped a bunch of times around something of some diameter (I didn't even plan on it- just happened) 1.4ohm
Got 4 strands through and it dries the silica pretty much instantly. I may have to read through this thread for some more info...
View attachment 233519

That diameter looks tiny, too small for silica. I've had great luck with German silica at a bigger diameter, not sure the exact size but it's about this big..

uploadfromtaptalk1374382770844.jpg

You'll also want to have longer legs so the coil is next to the air-hole.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
To be honest, this is probably my second time ever in this thread so shame on me for the suggestion of silica- I probably would have known better had I been more in touch with you crazy micro kids LOL....
The thought to post here just occurred to me when I saw how tiny the threads were.
Thanks for the tips! I will give some cotton a shot and see what happens! Always fun to try something new!

EagleTa2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Earlier in this thread I asked about a micro coil wrapped with ribbon wire, but nobody answered...

I can only assume that it hadn't been done, so....
IMG_20130720_232656.jpg

It wasn't easy... the hardest part was mounting it... it really wanted to spread out. Then when heating and squishing it got a bit out of shape. I reinserted a needle and tweaked it back in as best as possible.

Vaping it now... some good vapor, but taste is a little metallic. Either that or I just made some really wrong flavors. I don't think that's it. I don't expect this coil will be installed long.

Oh yeah...its .8 or .9 ohms... I have a cruddy cheapo multi meter.

Comments welcomed

Geo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread