Status
Not open for further replies.

FAAmecanic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
Crestview, FL
Hey all..

Really getting the hang of micro-coils. I did run into a strange issue today...

I recently got DARKZERO's jig tool (what a GREAT tool!)... so I eagerly got out my 28 ga Kanthal and wound a 11 wrap coil around the 1/16" mandrel. It metered out at 3.3 Ohms....ughh. So I did another and used only 8 wraps... 2.5 ohms... hummm.

My last coil I had I wound it around a drill bit that was a little bigger than 1/16" with something like 9 wraps and it metered out at 1.7 ohms...

So my question... being as the jig allowed me to make a 1/16" dia coil so easily... what would be increasing my ohms? I would think 28 ga with 8 wraps should be LOWER than my drill bit wound coil being as more wire is used in a smaller coil.

Is my thinking off here. Not that I mind the 2.5 ohm coil as its vaping like a champ... but would like to get back down below 2 ohms.

scrappy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Seattle
No problem buddy. I like making my wicks like this because I can repeat it easily, so when I have to figure out why a new coil doesn't work well I know for sure it's not my wick. That just leaves coil position as the culprit. Speaking of which, I get the best performance when the coil is a little higher instead of centered to the airhole.

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
Hey all..

I recently got DARKZERO's jig tool (what a GREAT tool!)... so I eagerly got out my 28 ga Kanthal and wound a 11 wrap coil around the 1/16" mandrel. It metered out at 3.3 Ohms....ughh. So I did another and used only 8 wraps... 2.5 ohms... hummm.

My last coil I had I wound it around a drill bit that was a little bigger than 1/16" with something like 9 wraps and it metered out at 1.7 ohms...

So my question... being as the jig allowed me to make a 1/16" dia coil so easily... what would be increasing my ohms? I would think 28 ga with 8 wraps should be LOWER than my drill bit wound coil being as more wire is used in a smaller coil.

Is my thinking off here. Not that I mind the 2.5 ohm coil as its vaping like a champ... but would like to get back down below 2 ohms.

Yeah those numbers are not right for that diameter, number of wraps, & wire guage. Something is wrong. Abnormally high resistance is usually a good indication on a bad connection, coil wires, atty to mod connection. What mod are you using, a Provari? I never owned a Provari, does a low battery give false readings?

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Hey all..

With 28ga Kanthal the resistance should be a lot lower, around 1 ohm. When I measure a newly wrapped coil, especially a tight one, the resistance shown is high until I fire it so it glows even the first time. Have you tried checking the resistance after firing up the coil?

FAAmecanic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
Crestview, FL
Yeah those numbers are not right for that diameter, number of wraps, & wire guage. Something is wrong. Abnormally high resistance is usually a good indication on a bad connection, coil wires, atty to mod connection. What mod are you using, a Provari? I never owned a Provari, does a low battery give false readings?

Ya thats what I thought as well...connection issue. I have had problems with my IGO-W catching the wire but not making a good connection when I use the thru holes.

I think I will wrap another tomorrow and use the TOP of the posts to get a better connection.

With you jig..I dont mind making coils now :)

I am using a provari with a fresh battery. I also metered it out on my multimeter and it agreed with the provari.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo

Oh yeah, this reminds me of the first thing I suggest to check when resistance is off.. that the screws on the posts are screwed down well.

FAAmecanic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
Crestview, FL
With 28ga Kanthal the resistance should be a lot lower, around 1 ohm. When I measure a newly wrapped coil, especially a tight one, the resistance shown is high until I fire it so it glows even the first time. Have you tried checking the resistance after firing up the coil?

Yep... I glowed the coil with a torch first. Installed, then fire it red 2 or 3 times and tweak the coils to ensure a tight coil. then I check my connections to make sure they arent loose.

Im thinking one of the leads isnt making a solid connection.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Yep... I glowed the coil with a torch first. Installed, then fire it red 2 or 3 times and tweak the coils to ensure a tight coil. then I check my connections to make sure they arent loose.

Yep, connection issue probably then.

scrappy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Seattle

Give this a try. Pull the wick/s out, stick the rod back in the coil, give it a little pull, then see if you can tighten the screw down a little more.

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC

Didn't you say you tested the coil on a multimeter? If so, and it read the same ohms, it's not a connection issue, something is dead wrong with your coil, if not, then test it and see what it reads on the multimeter

Whiplash205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Cleveland, Ga, USA
Thanks so much Scrappy...I will give it a shot! I think I am having issues with the thickness of my wicks.

I am rebuilding Kanger protanks and Igo~W's. I am so looking forward to my first REO!

Sent from "The Natural State" via Tapatalk & a Galaxy Note 3

I have better results using the cotton yarn on protank builds. The peaches and cream is 4 wrapped strands. I just pull off 2 strands for the wick, and another 2 on top as a flavor wick.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Kyle&Ann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2013
Van Buren, Arkansas
I have better results using the cotton yarn on protank builds. The peaches and cream is 4 wrapped strands. I just pull off 2 strands for the wick, and another 2 on top as a flavor wick.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Thanks for this information. Are you using this yarn ( 2 strands) with a micro coil?

iz2sick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Burbs of Detroit
Sup guys,

Had another failure of a build. My track record on the Reo is bad so far lol. I built a 9wrap nano Tinman Dragon Coil. The vapor shot out like a freaking champ on the test fire. Then I lined up my airhole in the path of the vapor and took a pull. Throat burn city! I mean, it didn't actually burn my throat or anything, but it felt like a massive throat hit and it was 0 nic juice. No flavor at all, just burnt flavor lol.

I should have known because when I dry burned the coil, it glowed instantly at the moment of fire. No heat up time whatsoever lol. I tried putting it on a cotton cloud instead and still same result. So nano Tinman wraps are a major no-go.

Back to the drawing board!

Xobeloot

The Dirty Monkey
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Grafenwöhr, Germany
Back to my roots

datybu4a.jpg

Sent from the zoo using Tapatypo 2

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
Sup guys,

Had another failure of a build. My track record on the Reo is bad so far lol. I built a 9wrap nano Tinman Dragon Coil. The vapor shot out like a freaking champ on the test fire. Then I lined up my airhole in the path of the vapor and took a pull. Throat burn city! I mean, it didn't actually burn my throat or anything, but it felt like a massive throat hit and it was 0 nic juice. No flavor at all, just burnt flavor lol.

I should have known because when I dry burned the coil, it glowed instantly at the moment of fire. No heat up time whatsoever lol. I tried putting it on a cotton cloud instead and still same result. So nano Tinman wraps are a major no-go.

That means some of your wraps are glowing when they shouldnt. This is why i dont like the dragon build - the risk of hot legs is high.

How about just sticking to the basics? Im running a 2x6 parallel wrap with a Dibby crack. Awesome.

crazyarms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Thousand Oaks, CA
Sup guys,

tried the same thing but micro coil tinman and not nano. Worked quite well for me. Ran a dual coil at .8 or so ohms and it worked hit nicely. threaded a bit of cotton through the coils and it fired right up. Seemed like slightly less vapor production than standard micros and the flavor seemed a bit strange like it was off slightly but still good. The tin man will definitely be something im gonnn have to experiment with again soon.

i always end up going back to the standard micro coils though, nothing quite seems to compare to a dual micro vape!

FAAmecanic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
Crestview, FL

LOL...OK found part of my reason. I thought I bought 28 ga Kanthal. Welll the outside package says 28 ga, but the label on the spool says 32 ga.

So I wrapped another coil (6 wraps) with the 32 ga, and metered JUST the coil with my multi-meter and its 1.9 - 2.0 Ohms. So everything was fine.... operator error. thanks for the replys all....love this forum and the folks in it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread