Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA
Good to know thanks for the heads up bro, I guess great minds think alike because I was looking at pictures of the beast and I was almost certain I'd end up drilling her out (I end up doing that to most anyway though, I love a big cool vape). I'll most likely end up going to at least 5/64th's (I'll try it smaller and work my way up of course), but believe it or not I'm usually really happy with dual 1/8th's, hell my Tobh atty is at 4 1/8th's now lol (8x1/16th" holes).

*EDIT: Oops I didn't even notice that the o-rings limit the drill size, that's awesome now I don't have to figure out the bit size :p.

That sounds like a great way to do it thanks for the recommendation man, another thing I imagined would be hard is the sheer thickness of the thing! I absolutely love that it's so thick, but I might need to go out and get an extra bit for it.

Yeah, you can prob see where just shelling out ~20 is worth it to have it done right.

McMaster-Carr

Not to mention risking a 120+ atty.

I did look into slotting the TC and AFC. It could def be done but machinist wasn't too keen on doing a one off at homie hook up. Tbh, I could probably have forced the issue but not really my style. Perfectly happy with dual 3/32nds.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
This is My set up 22g Gplat 6 wraps on a micro screwdriver about 3/32
U6IO5BI.jpg

Now that's my kinda vape! I'm really diggin this Gplat, it's a great wire that'll let my build my ohms low, while allowing me to not have to build little baby coils, I'M NORMAL! I got my 24ga "elite" in the mail recently, and I already have some 20ga elite on the way I'm liking it so much. CAN YOU SAY, SUSUSUSUSURFACE AREA!? My favorite part about it is I can basically fill the entire chamber of my dripper with the stuff, and it's still hot enough to give me the massive clouds I long for. I made a dual parallel 10 wrap (which was nearly wall to wall in the chamber) and it STILL came out to my favorite ohm at .2. Just magical flavor, and a pleasure to build with like nichrome.

I felt stupid trying to figure out for sure what exactly it is with my metal detector lol.

BUT I'm 99% positive that it's platinum (which would make since G"plat"), with a small amount of nickel content. Both of them gave off tiny blips on my metal detector (yes this is what I do with my spare time lol), and platinum wire is commonly used industrially in mass spec heating elements. Gplat is notorious for using electricity efficiently (because it's less resistance) and I've noticed when getting close to my battery's limits it doesn't get as warm as it normally would, and it's also known to last alot longer despite being hotter (which is another reason I suspect platinum as an ingredient, it's a very tough resistance element, often used in advanced electronics (like spark plugs).

This also explains why it's 25$ for 15 feet, platinum ain't cheap. But to be honest it's more than worth it in my opinion, I really wish they'd start selling them on longer spools for a bulk discount, maybe Temco will catch on soon :p. I've been researching into other platinum heating wire, and whether they'd be safe like Gplat, because I'd love to find some 20ga, maybe some even lower resistance, or perhaps just a bigger roll of the stuff. Because 15 ft is maybe a months worth for me, although I'm using it alot more sparingly than kanthal lol.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Yeah, you can prob see where just shelling out ~20 is worth it to have it done right.

McMaster-Carr

Not to mention risking a 120+ atty.

I did look into slotting the TC and AFC. It could def be done but machinist wasn't too keen on doing a one off at homie hook up. Tbh, I could probably have forced the issue but not really my style. Perfectly happy with dual 3/32nds.

Right on, yeah simply because it's so thick too, I was seriously considering not doing it carefully with a drill. My favorite vape lounge has a really nice laserguided drill press that I'll take it to. The best part is they'll drill anything for free, coolest shop ever.

Idaholandho

Gone Fishin'
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Reading Naked
Psst, hey man, I got that fluffy herb. 10$ per brick. :p

I've been getting alot of my cotton from local farmers and hollistic shops up here in alaska (I even tried cotton wood tree cotton, which works great!), and although Shisiedo is good stuff, sometimes I'll find some unprocessed cotton that's been blessed by the wicking gods. Look for some in your area! It's unbeatable if your out of make-up pads!
Having a bit of land, hence the name, I have a mega garden and after I posted I am looking into the growing season and some information regarding growing a bit of cotton. If anything to say I did. Maybe I'll set up an indoor hydroponic system....

what? lol

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Having a bit of land, hence the name, I have a mega garden and after I posted I am looking into the growing season and some information regarding growing a bit of cotton. If anything to say I did. Maybe I'll set up an indoor hydroponic system....

what? lol

Don't forget to take some Japanese classes before growing the cotton.

player one

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
cali
No not yet man, I want to eventually though. I really like the design of it, I'm just afraid of change I guess :p. I really dig how it's made for vertical coils, especially those drip wells. I think my favorite part about that beast is the shape of it, it's so thick, and the chamber is pretty reduced too, I bet it's a flavor machine. I don't know why I keep buying normal drippers, but I think I'm finally satisfied for a long while. I have my Tobh Atty, and my Brass Monkee, and those two fit my needs perfectly.

Now all that's left is to try new things! The Origen is at the top of my list too, it's wrestling with getting into the 26650 territory, (I ordered a 26650/28mm Tobh Atty clone & I don't even have a 26650 mechanical yet! :lol:), I think I may buy a cheap 26650 mod & an origen clone with my next paycheck for sure. I really want to get a cerberus RDA too, the thing looks beautiful. Thanks for reminding me about the Origen :D. By the way, have you been able to get big vapor off of the Origen? I'm ashamed to admit, I'm most happy when a device "helps" me make huge clouds. It looks like it'd be great for vapor amount, decently big airflow too, every time I see a picture my brain keeps telling me that the juice wells are too far away from the coils. Then again, I can always build them closer to the deck, and pictures are always deceiving lol.

I really like the vertical coil setup too, your wick is just in the well and is always wet. You don't have to drip on the wicks directly anymore. You can get decent vapor from the origen but of course not as big as those with bigger air holes. But you can use it without the AFC cap so you'll have 9 air holes open :D. Also, the coils are pretty close to the deck on the V2.
68d1e7a8-0971-460c-ac1c-93aecbac2703_zps6b333a87.jpg

UKPaul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2013
UK
I really like the vertical coil setup too, your wick is just in the well and is always wet. You don't have to drip on the wicks directly anymore. You can get decent vapor from the origen but of course not as big as those with bigger air holes. But you can use it without the AFC cap so you'll have 9 air holes open :D. Also, the coils are pretty close to the deck on the V2.
68d1e7a8-0971-460c-ac1c-93aecbac2703_zps6b333a87.jpg

Nice coils P1...............and great picture of an old school F1 driver.

Idaholandho

Gone Fishin'
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Reading Naked
Idaholandho, congrats bro. That's a hellava nice piece.

By chance did you scoop up a Lux X today too?
Thanks my friend.
Ah, the X Lux I have had for a while.
wtwXC1X.jpg

It's an amazing device. Now looking forward to the X Titanium. There is only 90 of them produced for the world. No others will be made after this run. A true unicorn. People are seeking kidneys for the chance to get one.

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA
Thanks my friend.
Ah, the X Lux I have had for a while.
wtwXC1X.jpg

It's an amazing device. Now looking forward to the X Titanium. There is only 90 of them produced for the world. No others will be made after this run. A true unicorn. People are seeking kidneys for the chance to get one.

X Ti, brain explodes....

I thought I was lucky to snag a Lux today. Maybe I'll be fighting you for a spot at their summit booth then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Cucco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Bonita Springs, Florida, USA
X Ti, brain explodes....

I thought I was lucky to snag a Lux today. Maybe I'll be fighting you for a spot at their summit booth then.

Hey Mattyb.. Long time.. I am going to be in on that game. Hopefully, this old lady hasn't lost her touch! :)

I still say, your resistance spreadsheet is the best! :)

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA
Hey Mattyb.. Long time.. I am going to be in on that game. Hopefully, this old lady hasn't lost her touch! :)

I still say, your resistance spreadsheet is the best! :)

Thnxs Cucco.

Lol, yeah I guess. That steam machine thing does ribbon tho.

Good to see ya!

BIGJ541

Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
EUGENE OREGON >> GO DUCKS!!
This is My set up 22g Gplat 6 wraps on a micro screwdriver about 3/32
U6IO5BI.jpg

Now that's my kinda VAPE! I'm really diggin this Gplat, it's a great wire that'll let my build my ohms low, while allowing me to not have to build little baby coils, I'M NORMAL! I got my 24ga "elite" in the mail recently, and I already have some 20ga elite on the way I'm liking it so much. CAN YOU SAY, SUSUSUSUSURFACE AREA!? My favorite part about it is I can basically fill the entire chamber of my dripper with the stuff, and it's still hot enough to give me the massive clouds I long for. I made a dual parallel 10 wrap (which was nearly wall to wall in the chamber) and it STILL came out to my favorite ohm at .2. Just magical flavor, and a pleasure to build with like nichrome.

I felt stupid trying to figure out for sure what exactly it is with my metal detector lol.

BUT I'm 99% positive that it's platinum (which would make since G"plat"), with a small amount of nickel content. Both of them gave off tiny blips on my metal detector (yes this is what I do with my spare time lol), and platinum wire is commonly used industrially in mass spec heating elements. Gplat is notorious for using electricity efficiently (because it's less resistance) and I've noticed when getting close to my battery's limits it doesn't get as warm as it normally would, and it's also known to last alot longer despite being hotter (which is another reason I suspect platinum as an ingredient, it's a very tough resistance element, often used in advanced electronics (like spark plugs).

This also explains why it's 25$ for 15 feet, platinum ain't cheap. But to be honest it's more than worth it in my opinion, I really wish they'd start selling them on longer spools for a bulk discount, maybe Temco will catch on soon :p. I've been researching into other platinum heating wire, and whether they'd be safe like Gplat, because I'd love to find some 20ga, maybe some even lower resistance, or perhaps just a bigger roll of the stuff. Because 15 ft is maybe a months worth for me, although I'm using it alot more sparingly than kanthal lol.

I have just stared to play with the gplat wires unfortunately I ended up with their regular line and not the elite line. I still like it quite a bit and I have the elite line on the way witch from what I read it better and a cooler vape. I need to do some builds with more wraps just to play with flavor I have mostly been messing around with clouds but I over did it with a 0.06 build and im running some 24g with 7 or 8 wraps to chill out lol. I have talked to the company that makes gplat Vapinology on their Facebook page and when I messaged him he offered me a better deal if I bought 15pc and it was a better deal pm me for the price he told me or i'm sure he will say the same to you. I read on Calivapers on a thread that a guy tested it with something he used for work and gplat elite was Nickel Chromium type 3 alloy witch as far as I know is 100% safe to use. Where hotwire has copper in it witch is debatable. Witch I still have not tried but I would like to at some point I hear its a cooler vape with the vapor production and flavor still there but you never know to each their own. Have you tried the gplat regular line? or Hotwires? Cooler or hotter? I might try one of you 22g 10 wraps lol .2 is a good vape:):):)

BIGJ541

Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
EUGENE OREGON >> GO DUCKS!!
First, best avitar ever.
Nice looking build, although far out of my personal ohm comfort zone. How does it vape?

Huge clouds but a bit to hot even for me. I like to keep it above 0.15 but I was playing around with cloud comp builds I think im going to do this same build with just a few more wraps at some point.After looking at y pic I think its a 5 wrap i'm going to try like 8 or 9 next time.

Last edited:

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA

what? lol

Hey man, I'm not a silly high-schooler anymore, but they don't call it Alaskan Thunder-Duck for nothin! (replace "D" with "F" hehehe)

Last edited:

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA

Right on, I can see they are right above the puddle, that's awesome. Hmm you got me thinking now, I'll have to check it out once it arrives, But I'm seriously considering not leaving the AFC cap off, but maybe drill 1 or 2 extra hole through the actual AFC cap itself. That way I can have 2 holes the same diameter, on either side of the coil. We'll see, I've learned to test over and over before butchering now :D. I think it'd be sweet though to have 2 3/32nd on either side of the coil, all I'd have to do is drill the smallest and medium holes out, and an extra in the afc cap. aaaw yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread