Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA
Thanks man, I might take you up on that. But first, I have to find a dripper with bigger air holes. I'm looking at the 454 big block. The vape on the origen is still too hot for me even when the battery voltage is at 3.75.

Btw, if you want the contact info for the machine shop I used.. thats no problem.

PM me anytime.

Last edited:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Just rebuilt these Romanian jewels :)
rZaQaQa.jpg

One hit wonders but damn are they gloriously rich, full and vaporous hits :)

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
But I must confess, I like vaping this Odin the best. Just really like the amount and temperature of vapor it produces.

And now building duals for it is pretty easy for me.

I look forward to the bottom fed version. Ima prolly sell a chalice and pick up 2 more BF Odins.

It's my favorite vaping atty :)

X72nZIH.jpg

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
But I must confess, I like vaping this Odin the best. Just really like the amount and temperature of vapor it produces.

I look forward to the bottom fed version. Ima prolly sell a chalice and pick up 2 more BF Odins.

X72nZIH.jpg

That just looks so good! :)

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Thought of sharing this here from the rayon forum.

I'm like you but instead of the 7 wraps as reference I use length of coil. I always shoot for a 3.2mm coil which is 10 wraps 28 ga. From there if you want to make 27 gauge or less you will start removing wraps.

This is one part of the story. the other part which I don't see people mention is that going lower gauge requires more power to heat up faster. Therefore although you are reducing resistance for same number of wraps, you are lowering attack speed by using more mass. For example: sometimes you will get better performance by staying at 28 gauge and mechanical wrapped 10 times (lets say 1.2 ohms at 4 v) than 27 gauge at wrapped 10 times (let's say 0.9 ohms at 4v). Although you have more power the mass is greater.

That is why I shoot for length of coil. If I make it 3.2mm for the 27 gauge I'll end up with maybe 7 wraps and then I eliminate the horizontal different in mass but maintain the vertical mass which is responsible of the increase in flavor plus a higher wattage at the coil.

:2c:

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Can someone please once and for all explain to me why the throat hit becomes so strong when the airhole is not directed at the coil. I know it is obvious, given, that's how it is etc... but I need to know why it happens because I'm doing some experiments and designs. I used to think it is because the heat is too strong but this happens even at low wattage and while wet and with cool vapor. So i don't think it is the heat. If someone knows how to explain it to me in a simple way please do.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Can someone please once and for all explain to me why the throat hit becomes so strong when the airhole is not directed at the coil. I know it is obvious, given, that's how it is etc... but I need to know why it happens because I'm doing some experiments and designs. I used to think it is because the heat is too strong but this happens even at low wattage and while wet and with cool vapor. So i don't think it is the heat. If someone knows how to explain it to me in a simple way please do.

Dunno Al. Sorry bro. My theory is that the when the air intake is aimed at the wick your essentially feeling the sensation of warm but unvaporized juice?

Really dunno though.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
This is more an observation/guess rather than fact - when the vapor from the coil is not in the direct air flow, it mixes into the airstream a lot slower, it's more like 2nd hand "old" vapor, giving the harshness. I don't know why this makes it harsh though.
Compare that to the air flow in a clearo, which has minimal throat hit, very smooth.

Not sure if this helps...

GreatestUnKnown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Bay Area CA.
What's the number on the bottom of that DPM and how did it get so far north in CA?
I did come across your thread on CV on my Kamagong mod hunt. #0147 here, still hunting down a red 18650 mech and a PM Customs but meh I like standing out among all the AXIS and ATBs with the VV DPM for now.

IMG_20140725_195231_186.jpg

REGULATORS!

IMG_20140723_195829_832.jpg

now back to building....

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA

Airflow has a couple different effect; but, in the interest of keeping my post to the point:

Direct airflow cools down the coil (& thus the vapor).

Indirect airflow still does cool down the vapor but it starts out at a higher temperature due to the lack of airflow over the coil.

I could get into this a lot deeper but barring all thermodynamic terms, blowing air over the coil is a really effective way of cooling the system, mixing cool air with hot vapor inside the cap, not so much.

---------------------------------------------------

Hence player one's (and many others) problem w/ the stock draw on the v2 Origen. In this case even with direct airflow the chamber is reduced to the point where with the stock draw wide open the incoming air cools the coil, then mixes with the vapor as it's exiting the cap but can still be too hot for some or most.

@Norbert, lol, slotted airflow on the v3 please.

GreatestUnKnown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Bay Area CA.
Speaking of hot air and direct airflow....

I am another who does not tend to drill out airholes, and choose to build around the parameters set by the RDA and create a vape that I enjoy. The competitor in me would not be stifled though and I hope to try and win some great vape gear from the numerous cloud comps to continue my hobby and lessen the impact upon my wallet. I could not achieve that with my current gear so I jumped on a group buy for what is referred to as the Mutation X RDA. First glance it is a Tobh clone but it uses a different style AFC and obviously has much larger selection of airflow...

(Stock pic from the group buy)
10368216_510320132438045_4095305445677399265_n.jpg

and here is the first build for the night:

22awg sleeper 1/8th ID 5 wrap metered @ 0.15Ω

IMG_20140725_205919_507.jpg

Still breaking it in but it is no warmer than my Origen V2 at 0.30Ω but definetly more vapor with a lot more TH and a little less flavor but barely, the Origen makes crisp flavor while this is the same flavor just a little dull (Slurricane by Ruthless I mixed down to 3mg with a 6mg/0mg bottle)

GreatestUnKnown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Bay Area CA.
Great info and love the build. Love it.
Would you mind sharing the wick medium?

It is standard organic cotton, Rayon might go in the next time I need to wick but those are my only two mediums on hand. I need some KGD but I am happy for now. I thought that 3mg would be a decent drop in strength but Im nicd out right now...might need to grab some more 0mg from now on...for this type of build. I feel like a menopausal woman with hot flashes or something..:mad:

Idaholandho

Gone Fishin'
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Reading Naked
It is standard organic cotton, Rayon might go in the next time I need to wick but those are my only two mediums on hand. I need some KGD but I am happy for now. I thought that 3mg would be a decent drop in strength but Im nicd out right now...might need to grab some more 0mg from now on...for this type of build. I feel like a menopausal woman with hot flashes or something..:mad:
Lol. I'm finally getting to the post for Tree on Monday, hit me up with your addy and I'll drop some KGD in the mail for you.

Idaholandho

Gone Fishin'
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Reading Naked

X72nZIH.jpg
Nice brother, I sure hope it's also offered as a kit. Or mine will just see the pass off when grabbin' the REOs :(.

GreatestUnKnown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Bay Area CA.
Thank you Idaho, I will be in touch :toast:

*PIC HEAVY DISCLAIMER*
Lets start with the Odin RDA by Loki Lab, didnt recoil just replaced the wicking so I could show the "xobe driver" due to the height of the Odin's AFC I couldnt go as low as I wanted because the airflow actually goes through the coil with the cotton wrapping around it.

IMG_20140726_212946_268.jpg

aWXLzsP5RlBoaFTUfGTcsyf1WdvI__D8OOZKK98GdoA=w958-h540-no

IMG_20140726_124231_359.jpg

Well I am really loving the long coils on my VVs it makes the vape just thick, smooth, (AHEM) creamy.

Black Delrin Quasar got the rewick treatment as well here are a couple pics before it was born anew.
IMG_20140726_124334_144.jpg

IMG_20140726_130819_851.jpg
IMG_20140726_130833_847.jpg

Last one for the night is the Brass Quasar, I was just going to rewick the build I got in it from the vape shop but since it was in the 100°s today I could spend a little time inside building a new coil :laugh:

Here is the build from the shop:
IMG_20140726_124430_885.jpg

New build, dual macro 24 awg 3/32ID 11 wraps metered @ 0.52ish (this new ohm meter is awesome)
IMG_20140726_205626_583.jpg
IMG_20140726_205621_584.jpg
IMG_20140726_210227_635.jpg
IMG_20140726_211044_785.jpg

IMG_20140726_210411_734.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread