mini pipe, which battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Down South, USA.
Do not try the SAFT non-rechargeable ones, they will not work. They check at 3.6 v but for some reason will not work. When you put them in you get the three flashes as normal but when you draw you get 3 more flashes every time and no function. I think the pipe may have a built it amperage detector and the SAFT batteries are rated at 1200 mah. and the ones for the pipe are like 250-300 mah.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Do not try the SAFT non-rechargeable ones, they will not work. They check at 3.6 v but for some reason will not work. When you put them in you get the three flashes as normal but when you draw you get 3 more flashes every time and no function. I think the pipe may have a built it amperage detector and the SAFT batteries are rated at 1200 mah. and the ones for the pipe are like 250-300 mah.
That seems odd...I would be interested in an explanation from one of our electronics guru's.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
That seems odd...I would be interested in an explanation from one of our electronics guru's.

i cant think of one.. there might be a voltage detector.. but there is no such thing as a mah detector..

the saft batteries do not seem to be the right type.. rechargeable lithium ion cells of the lady pipe size are not 1200 mah.. such things do not exist... they are at the most around 300 to 400 mah capacity..

could the saft ones mentioned be 1.2 volt metal hydride cells.. if so they will not work.. the pipe will think it has flat batteries.. ???

someone needs to put a voltmeter on these things..

trog

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
i cant think of one.. there might be a voltage detector.. but there is no such thing as a mah detector..

the saft batteries do not seem to be the right type.. rechargeable lithium ion cells of the lady pipe size are not 1200 mah.. such things do not exist... they are at the most around 300 to 400 mah capacity..

could the saft ones mentioned be 1.2 volt metal hydride cells.. if so they will not work.. the pipe will think it has flat batteries.. ???

someone needs to put a voltmeter on these things..

trog

Ahh....Too low a voltage would make sense.

Vince1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Down South, USA.
Last edited:

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Multi-meter reads 3.6 v on the batteries but the will not work. I can't explain it. If you go to order the SAFT non-rechargable they list as 1200mah. i'm not saying they really are, thats just what they advertise as.

2) 3.6V BATTERY 1/2AA SAFT LS 14250 GE ADT ITI ALARM - eBay (item 220335389073 end time Mar-27-09 00:52:15 PDT)

It's possible 3.6 v is the point at which the mini pipe electronics say a battery requires recharging....the rechargeable batteries work best if they are not allowed to drain too much power before recharging....as far as I know the 1200 mah should just have meant that it should have lasted a long time before it run out of power.

Oh I hadn't seen the bit you said about it only flashing the three times and not the 6

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
odd... in theory any 3.6 volts supply should power the pipe i would have thought....

has anybody actually put a volt meter on freshly charged lady pipe battery ..

a 3.6/7 volts ones read 4.2 volts fresh off charge...

the 3 volt ones read about 3.5 volts fresh off charge..

the rated voltage for these thing is basically wrong.. they are .5 volts higher than the so called rating.. the voltage drops off as the battery runs down..

the lady pipe might run off the so called more common 3 volt (3.5 fresh off charge) batteries.. i dont have one to look at so i dont know.. but a claimed capacity of 1200 mah is about three times what that size cell should be..

now they appear not to work makes the mystery deeper..

trog

smog

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2009
England
I think this is your reason
Lithium thionyl chloride Batteries have a high internal resistance
so can only output low currents ,upto about 100mA I think .they
have a very long shelf life though and very low self discharge rate .This
is why they are used for low current,back up power supplies.etc
they can't supply enough current to run a e-pipe though.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
You are correct Trog. 4.19v fresh off the charger. I think the manual says the low volt cut-off is around 2.2v

Lots of places make the 1200mah claim-http://www.megabatteries.com/item_details.asp?id=14511&cat_id=89

But I don't think this applies to actual amps?

It sure is a mystery because I am pretty sure your batteries 'should' power the pipe even if they aren't rechargeable. With !200mah...they should just last for quite a long time before they run out......the only thing that would make any sense to me for why they don't work is if the pipe is set for a recharge at 3.6 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread