The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

mini pipe, which battery?

Discussion in 'Mini Pipe' started by ted26, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Vince1

Vince1 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 6, 2009
    Down South, USA.
    Smog, you are indeed the man! That makes perfect sense to me.
    Also my pipe started doing something different now. With the new battery its - puff- then 3 fast flashes followed by 3 slow flashes.
    The low output current would explain why very little voltage was lost when I connected it to the 12v light bulb.

2. Vince1

Feb 6, 2009
    Down South, USA.
    Crap, Now I have 4 new batteries and no use for them!

3. surbitonPete

surbitonPete Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2009
    North Yorkshire UK
    aha yes ...must have crossed post there........smog makes perfect sense.........that's the solution......haha I wonder what you can do with those batteries......

4. trog100

trog100 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 23, 2008
    UK
    that sounds like the answer.. high capacity at a very very low output.. made for beacons and sensor things that have to be left unattended for ages but also with a very low current draw..

not the kind of batteries i am familiar with..

lithium ion are the type needed for the lady pipes..

trog

5. Vince1

Feb 6, 2009
    Down South, USA.
    Found a place to get the right ones, but you have to buy 1000 of them. Lighthound has them for $5 but they are out of stock.

6. surbitonPete

Jan 25, 2009
    North Yorkshire UK
    um I don't think you will need a 1000 batteries vince:)

7. trog100

May 23, 2008
    UK
    i think the lady pipes makers have picked an obscure size for commercial reasons.. they dont want folks buying DX ones at 5 dollars for a pack of four perhaps..

trog

8. Vince1

Feb 6, 2009
    Down South, USA.
  9. surbitonPete

Jan 25, 2009
    North Yorkshire UK
    Well it's the first time I have heard of someone buying the batteries first and then finding something to fit the batteries....lmao........ but torches are always handy

10. Vince1

Feb 6, 2009
    Down South, USA.
    That light will be my first modded pipe. Take the bulb out and add the atomizer. Remove the clicker from the button and presto! Super-cig! It's a single aa cell light even though it looks bigger in the pic.

11. Vince1

Feb 6, 2009
    Down South, USA.
    i think the lady pipes makers have picked an obscure size for commercial reasons.. they dont want folks buying DX ones at 5 dollars for a pack of four perhaps..

Actually they are $5 each. also the ones I'm stuck with cost me $4.50 each. But I can make someone a DEAL if they want them! hahaha

12. trog100

May 23, 2008
    UK
    if a person has the skill using a suitable flashlight body as a battery holder is the way to go.. it aint quite as easy as taking the "bulb" out and the "clickly" out of the switch thow... he he

but if u break an e cig down to its basic components its simply a battery holder.. a switch.. and some means of attaching the atomizer..

thats all a lady pipe is.. its all an SD is... something that takes an AA sized 14500 battery (fourth from the left) is a nice starting point..

some suitable off the shelf lithium cells to think about.. they go from 300 mah on the left to 5000 mah on the right.. find you own battery holder.. torch bodies are the obvious thing to go for..

[​IMG]

trog

ps.. the lady pipe size is the third from the left.. the little thing in the middle is a 901 battery cell.. the thing we call the battery (little tube) isnt.. its simply the battery holder..

ps 2... those orange ones in the middle are the original ruyan e pipe size..

ps 3.. the pic is part of my off the shelf lithium ion battery collection..

13. Vince1

Feb 6, 2009
    Down South, USA.
    Did I mention that I was a machinist and tool and die maker for 15+ years before taking a desk job? Anyway, I may be able to make the mod without to much trouble, Hehehe.
    I still have a small lathe in my shop and making a replacement head for the light will be no problem. I tend to dumb things down a bit in my posts to make for ease of translation.
    But since time is money, I have to wonder about some of the mods I have seen that must have countless man-hours invested in them, and end up with a pipe worth $500 plus if you paid someone to make it. I think people don't consider this. If I can't be done with one in 3 hours it becomes cheaper to just buy one.

14. trog100

May 23, 2008
    UK
    as u say time is money.. some liking making things for fun.. i used to do.. cant be arsed now got too lazy.. but producing a prototype of anything takes a fair while..

when a modder says it can be made for $20 dollars worth of parts he kinda conveniently forgets the many hours he spent making and planning it..... he he..

we made our own a few months back for one simply reason.. there was nothing that could be bought..

trog

15. Vince1

Feb 6, 2009
    Down South, USA.
    Yes, I guess spending a little more time on a personal item is warranted. But in doing so you have something no one else does.

I bet your personal one is very nice.

16. trog100

May 23, 2008
    UK
    it a battered and well used version of the ones we sell.. three months plus use and still gong strong.. he he..

we do say replace atomizers every couple of weeks tho..the device itself is now pretty bullet proof..

trog

17. ted26

ted26 Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 6, 2008
    uk england
    well i tried fitting those slightly larger batteries and they are too long but can be made to fit width ways ! so useless really :D

Keep searching !

18. smokindeuce

smokindeuce Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    UK
    That's a shame Ted - I've got some coming to me to test as well - can I just confirm which batteries you tried?

I've actually been badgering the manufacturers to look into this, but they can't seem to source the ones I mentioned to them. In the end, I had to order some for myself to test and I'm really hoping that they're different to the ones you just tested....:rolleyes:

19. EDO

EDO Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2009
    Hey...Does any one know what happened to Phyll's batteries? He had ordered the slightly larger batteries....I believe they were 15266 500mah (I hope I am correct with the battery size).

20. phillydes

phillydes Full Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Well I finally received the 15266 (CR2) batteries from Hong Kong and they will not fit. Just a tad bit (maybe .5 to 1mm) too wide. I used a Dremel to ream out the inside diameter of the battery compartment and got them to fit inside the bowl, but they are just a tad bit too long also. You can't get the battery compartment cap to fit when the battery is all of the way bottomed out in the bowl. I guess the Lady Pipe manufacture has made it so we have to use the batteries that come with the pipe. Oh well, at least it only cost me $17.75 to find out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.