Not open for further replies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Found another one that is really good. Juice Grinder
Does it have to be windows based? Online website e-liquid-Recipes...(google for url can't link it here) has the calculator plus allows you to enter all of your flavors. Can even do a search to find recipes for your flavors. Totally free, but the guy does take donations. He did a really good job so I say he deserves it.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@U2Desire, I have used both juice Grinder, and JuiceCalculator (that's the one @Burnie recommended). @ShowerHead is correct, in that one must "donate" a minimum amount in order to have the inventory management feature, for more than two hours.

After using both, I settled on JuiceCalculator (aka: JC), as I didn't like the inability to remove unused flavor fields in juice Grinder, and I really didn't like the "hostageware" nature of the inventory management. Additionally, JC was written by one of ECF's own (@HotRod19579), and has a great support thread here on ECF (same link).

JuiceCalculator is truly free; by which I mean all of its features and functions are fully usable right from the get-go. The author does accept donations, but there are no repetitive "nag screens" that continue to pester you every time you start it up (as I recall; it only appears once during installation). Documentation is very good; especially for freeware.

Some, who have tried both, find Juice Grinder a bit more intuitive to get started, but that was not my own experience. If you are willing to read the "Getting Started" portion of the documentation (2-3 minutes?); it seemed like a pretty straightforward process to me. It has been my only calculator for about 2 years now, and it will remain so for the foreseeable future. :)

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I will play with it (Juice Calculator) and see but it doesn't look like it measures by weight unless I missed something. I will be mixing by weight once I get started in DIY since it just seems easier especially with the thickness of VG.
Yep; it does (by weight is how I measure).

In JuiceCalculator: Tools> Options> Recipe defaults. Make sure the "Don't show grams is unchecked:
upload_2018-1-8_23-31-25.png

Then, if you want to make the Grams column stand out, you can do: Tools> Options> General, and select Grams:
upload_2018-1-8_23-35-42.png

This will mark the data in the Grams (weight) column in bold.

If you have any further questions on the calculator, just ask in the New calculator to try thread, and we won't be hijacking @Capt.shay's thread any further. :D

Must say I love this program! I think I finally got it all worked out. DIY is gonna save me about $35 a month. Now to use up my current 8 months worth of eJuice so I can start to order a little but of supplies each month. Finally I have a real hobby besides playing video games. LOL

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I just wish he'd make JuiceCalculator available for users of Apple products. That's the main reason I use the one at the site that can't be named here as its web based so I can use it on my iPad and my phone.

.....and Linux! :)

Yep! Not all of us use Windows, right?

Wine does an ok job of running JuiceCalculator.
VirtualBox absolutely does.
For my iPhone, I just print to a PDF and stick it on the phone. Only did that once, as paper is way better.
Other than that, go tell Apple to allow us adults to have vape related apps in the store.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Must say I love this program! I think I finally got it all worked out. DIY is gonna save me about $35 a month. Now to use up my current 8 months worth of eJuice so I can start to order a little but of supplies each month. Finally I have a real hobby besides playing video games. LOL

After the initial investment it's a bottle of PG or VG here and there and a new flavor once in a while. I spent $600 a year on vendor juices. Now I just replace flavor bottles as they go empty. I'm still on my first liter of nic and my second set of quart bottles of PG and VG after 2 1/2 years of DIY.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
Time to learn the way of the weigh! As soon as you become comfortable with it you will wonder how you ever used syringes. It is awesome that the mods stickied this for me. I think a lot of people still find and use it for reference. If you have any questions, were out here.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL

I considered that one but ended up going with this one that Capt.shay mentioned in his second post

500g x 0.01g High Precision Digital Scale SF-400D2 Counting wit USB Wall Adapter 855011003294 | eBay

The thing that swayed me was it seemed, from some comments, to register small changes more quickly, time shall tell.

Time to learn the way of the weigh! As soon as you become comfortable with it you will wonder how you ever used syringes. It is awesome that the mods stickied this for me. I think a lot of people still find and use it for reference. If you have any questions, were out here.

Thank you! Scale should be delivered Wednesday, I’m looking forward to giving it a go.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I considered that one but ended up going with this one that Capt.shay mentioned in his second post

500g x 0.01g High Precision Digital Scale SF-400D2 Counting wit USB Wall Adapter 855011003294 | eBay

The thing that swayed me was it seemed, from some comments, to register small changes more quickly, time shall tell.

Isn't that the one that has the auto zero function?
The American Weight 501 has served me well for years, but once you get used to any quality scale, it'll be much better than volume mixing.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Isn't that the one that has the auto zero function?
The American Weight 501 has served me well for years, but once you get used to any quality scale, it'll be much better than volume mixing.

Yes, it does. I don’t have a clue what that means or how to use it, but it does. It is very responsive, ie quick to register, and the display is great, ie BIG, and easy to read even without glasses.

It did come yesterday and I had a few minutes today so mixed up a little juice. It was just a simple 1 flavor mix and took all of about 3 minutes including clean up, I’m sold :thumb:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Yes, it does. I don’t have a clue what that means or how to use it, but it does. It is very responsive, ie quick to register, and the display is great, ie BIG, and easy to read even without glasses.

It did come yesterday and I had a few minutes today so mixed up a little juice. It was just a simple 1 flavor mix and took all of about 3 minutes including clean up, I’m sold :thumb:

I started mixing with the AWS LB-501 scale that you have and it's been dead on accurate and repeatable for a couple of years+. Mixing by weight is really easy for me. Once you have your recipe printed out it's just a matter of putting the bottle on the scale, zeroing it out, adding ingredients, and re-zeroing the scale with the tare button before the next ingredient. I use pipettes for Nic base, the bottles the flavor comes in for flavors, and clear condiment bottles for PG and VG. When I'm done there's almost nothing to wash. I just pack it all up, throw away the drop cloth from the counter, and I'm done.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I started mixing with the AWS LB-501 scale that you have and it's been dead on accurate and repeatable for a couple of years+. Mixing by weight is really easy for me. Once you have your recipe printed out it's just a matter of putting the bottle on the scale, zeroing it out, adding ingredients, and re-zeroing the scale with the tare button before the next ingredient. I use pipettes for Nic base, the bottles the flavor comes in for flavors, and clear condiment bottles for PG and VG. When I'm done there's almost nothing to wash. I just pack it all up, throw away the drop cloth from the counter, and I'm done.

I’m glad to hear that it’s been reliable for you, that gives me hope.

I’ve found it much easier mixing by weight and am kicking myself for not buying a scale sooner. I’ve become a lazy vaper, I don’t build new coils lately until the old have become almost unvapeable and the contacts on my mechs are not as bright and shiny as they used to be. Mixing by weight has allowed me to enjoy DIY again without all the clean up and hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread