Mixing By Weight: Basics 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I got super lazy and strated making pre mix, where I just add my mix to pg, vg, nic. 200 MLS of premix saves alot of time especially when you have a recipe that's got alot of ingredients.

Same here. I always have a row of bottles mixed with flavor, but I vape unflavored more than flavored. I have some over-flavored bottles that I use as add mixes for unflavored. I just add a small squirt of a flavored juice and fill the tank with unflavored. The longer I vape the more my taste buds need to recover. Less is more when you reach that point.

Yesterday I mixed up four 100ml bottles of 3mg/ml unflavored mix. Unflavored covers most of my vape day.

Last edited:

Vapping Drone Pilot

Oct 12, 2018
NOTES

I mix for several family members and a couple of friends so I mix at least 10-15 bottles a week and I find this the simplest and fastest way to make juice. Also, remember that a single drop weighs .03-.04g. If you off by a couple of hundredths, don't sweat it. That is less than one drop and that is the smallest we can dispense. I hope the above post is helpful to some of you. Bellow are a few random thoughts and information from my experience. Of course, YMMV

Scales:
Pictured above is the Amazon.com: American Weigh Scales LB-501 Digital Kitchen Scale: Kitchen & Dining scale and it works fine but I will not buy it again. I will be spending a few more dollars and go back to this scale 500g x 0.01g High Precision Digital Scale SF-400D2 Counting w/ USB Wall Adapter . It is much faster making it easier to be accurate and it has a larger read out and does not auto shut off in battery mode. Cheaper scales are available but you do get what you pay for to some degree. Make sure it goes to .00 and I would recommend at least a 500g capacity.

Weights:
  • Weight of PG: 1.038 grams per ml
  • Weight of VG: 1.26 grams per ml
  • Weight of Pure Nicotine: 1.01 grams per ml

• Weight of 100mg in PG: 1.035 grams per ml

• Weight of 60mg in PG: 1.03632 grams per ml

• Weight of 50mg in PG: 1.0366 grams per ml

• Weight of 48mg in PG: 1.036656 grams per ml

• Weight of 36mg in PG: 1.036992 grams per ml

• Weight of 24mg in PG: 1.037328 grams per ml

• Weight of 100mg in VG: 1.235 grams per ml

• Weight of 60mg in VG: 1.245 grams per ml

• Weight of 50mg in VG: 1.2475 grams per ml

• Weight of 48mg in VG: 1.248 grams per ml

• Weight of 36mg in VG: 1.251 grams per ml

• Weight of 24mg in VG: 1.254 grams per ml

Nicotine:
I have used Nic. from several different vendors and most are quite adequate but they can vary by taste and throat hit. Currently I am using Nic. from Vapers Tech. A great thread on different nicotine's is Nicotine Comparisons. It is long but read back several pages then jump in to the thread. Nicotine, properly frozen, will last several years.

Flavor:
I primarily use flavors from Perfumer's Apprentice, Flavor West and e-aromashop-INAWERA GROUP along with several select flavors from different makers. Each maker has it's strong points and certain stand out flavors. Bull City Vapor - Best Prices on DIY e-liquid Supplies and Wizard Labs are good source for small amounts but you can often save money by buying directly from the manufacturer. In the future (post deemings) we should still be able to buy flavors as they are in food manufacture and it doesn't appear they can ban them (but Wizard and Bull City may not be around)

Bottles:
E-bay and Amazon can fill most of your container needs. Glass Bottle Outlet is also an excellent source.

Labels:
You can create custom labels using Avery address labels.

Read Danny45's blogs
Read BillsMajicVapor's blogs
Check out the TFA thread

Happy mixing!
Hi

Vapping Drone Pilot

Oct 12, 2018
Hi,
I’m new here and I like seeing other people who mix by weight.
I noticed 3 blogs you listed on your post. Was wondering if those blogs are in this forum?
Also any tips on suppliers you use to buy your bottles etc? I found a couple so far but a lot are over priced. So any help would be greatly.
Now when you write back I’ll have to figure out where I find my messages.
Thank You

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016
    Hi,
    I noticed 3 blogs you listed on your post. Was wondering if those blogs are in this forum?
    Also any tips on suppliers you use to buy your bottles etc? I found a couple so far but a lot are over priced. So any help would be greatly.
    Thank You
    I get most of my bottles from eBay or fasttech, shipping time for fasttech may be long tough.

tokarev

ECF Veteran
    Jan 25, 2009
    Tennessee, USA

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 10, 2013
    W. Ma. U.S.A.
    Hi,
    Thank You

Hi VD and welcome to the forum. As listed above, GBO does a great job for bottles. I usually buy by the case so the prices are quite good there. They have ALL kinds of bottles. I think the blogs are accessible via profile. I think they are mostly device specific. Welcome to the way of the weigh!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Hi,
    Thank You

Bottles sound expensive, but you buy them once and use them over and over for years. Glass Bottle Outlet is popular, but Boston Rounds are sold elsewhere. There are a few posts uptopic. Check out the prices and choose a vendor. If you can get free shipping from Amazon, that may be the best deal. Some glass suppliers charge more for shipping than I think is necessary. If you have Amazon Prime and the item is eligible it's a free 2 day ship.

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID

B2L

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    I’ve always bought from GBO, their prices are the best I’ve found but the shipping can be brutal. However, they used to occasionally run a free shipping special which is a great time to stock up. Not sure if they still do but if you set up an account and get on their email list they will notify you.

Reactions: smacuser

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I’ve always bought from GBO, their prices are the best I’ve found but the shipping can be brutal. However, they used to occasionally run a free shipping special which is a great time to stock up. Not sure if they still do but if you set up an account and get on their email list they will notify you.
    I wonder if @Vapping Drone Pilot is still waiting for a response to his questions o_O.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    My wife found a new use for my LB-501 scale. Postage! It's accurate at those light weights. Just tare and drop the letter on the scale. Saves having to go to the post office to find out the postage on heavier envelopes. The alternative is to put more postage than you think to prevent an under postage return to your mail box.

Last edited:

Vapping Drone Pilot

Oct 12, 2018
    With things being the way they are with the FDA, a whole lot more people are turning to DIY. I have been mixing for a few years now and started out using syringes and measured cylinders. Along the path I came across people who were mixing by weight. The idea appealed to me and I have been a proponent ever since. I find mixing by weight easier, more consistent and quicker than mixing by volume. Bellow I will show you how I mix by weight and I hope it helps some of my fellow vapors out during these bleak deeming times.

You will need:

Nicotine From places like Nude Nicotine, Vapors Tech, or Hartland vapes to name a few.
    VG, PG From Places like Bulk Apothecary, or wizard labs to name a couple
    Flavorings From places like Bull City for small amounts or directly from the manufacturer.

Here, on the right, you can see that the VG, PG and Nic. are in squeeze bottles (available on Amazon among other places). I have the bottles clearly marked and they are also different sizes to avoid any confusion.
    olkAKI5.jpg

On the left are the two flavors I will be using for this recipe (Flavor West Yellow Cake and TFA Marshmallow) and on these bottles I have Yorker caps that I ordered from Flavor West. For flavor bottles that wont accept Yorker caps, I use disposable pipits to transfer the liquid (I purchased 500 on E-bay for very little money, I still have about 400 of them a couple of years later)

Since I don't have WiFi in my mixing room, I use a program called Liquix (available at the app store) on a pad as my calculator. This and most current calculators offer a weight bassed option built in. Here is a picture of the screen of my pad that shows what we will need to make today's recipe called "Twinki" 60ml, 30PG,70VG 2mg/l. As you can see, we will need 7.49grams of Yellow Cake (12%), 2.50grams (4%) of Marshmallow, 1.25grams of 100mg/l nic., 7.49grams of PG and 52.92grams of VG.
    gnrQGPy.jpg

We begin by placing the 60ml bottle on the scale and press "tare" to zero the scale. We will then drop 7.49g. of Yellow Cake in to the bottle:
    tlQtwTI.jpg

We then again Tare the scale and add the next ingredient 2.50g. of Marshmallow:
    cI04zjc.jpg

Then 1.25g of Nic.:
    JJOaQlE.jpg

And 7.49g. of Pg:
    OX4pAXt.jpg

At this point, we can simply top the bottle off with VG to complete our mix as we are using a bottle that is the same size as the batch size or you can measure out the 52.92 grams of VG.
    G55dQwr.jpg

And your done! That's it. Nothing to wash or rinse. It is about as simple and easy as you can get when mixing juice. I highly encourage you to give it a try. It is a rare case indeed where someone who has given this method an honest try and gone back to syringes. I wish I had used this method from the beginning and if your just starting out, I would highly recommend skipping the syringes all together.

Happy Mixing!
    John
    Hi John,
    First Thank You for easy detailed tutorial on how to DIY mixing by weight.
    I was wonder about when you purchase your PG/VG with the nicotine already added how do I calculate it then? I didn’t want to deal with handling straight nicotine so I pay a little bit more for my PG/VG.

I bought everything from beakers to a magnetic stirring bar. I have yet to even taken everything out of the shipping boxes because I’m so confused what Flavoring to buy. I don’t want to purchase 4 different marshmallow,ripe strawberry etc until I make enough mistakes using the wrong brand or the wrong strawberry. My wife wants to kill me for having 30 Mods and case of DIY mixing supplies and it’s been boxed up for 4 months just because I look at Flavoring and there’s TFA,Flavor West,Capella and all has the same flavors.
    One person says buy from here and another tells me know you don’t want that buy it from here!
    Now do you see why I’m so hesitant in making my on eliquid. If I buy a banana,ripe strawy from every company I would go broke and be divorced.

I did see a post on here but I can’t find it now where a member recommended like the Top 20 flavors you should have on hand and a recommendation where to purchase it from and even broke everything buy cost etc. It was very detailed and it must of taking a lot of time to put together such detailed information but I’ve searched and searched but can’t find it now.

It’s members like you who take the time to share your knowledge with all the people new to DIY and we learn from your mistakes when you first started.And for that I can never Thank You enough!

Also as a beginner what size Flavoring size bottle would you recommend purchasing? I think there are some flavors that a lot of recipes may call for more often so that flavor I would buy maybe a 30ml like marshmallow and other like kiwi for example you would buy a small amount.

So Thank You in advance for any help you can give me and I appreciate this detailed information on mixing by weight which is the way I plan on mixing if I ever buy Flavoring.
    Jim

Reactions: Blitzdonlife

Vapping Drone Pilot

Oct 12, 2018
    My wife found a new use for my LB-501 scale. Postage! It's accurate at those light weights. Just tare and drop the letter on the scale. Saves having to go to the post office to find out the postage on heavier envelopes. The alternative is to put more postage than you think to prevent an under postage return to your mail box.

Reactions: stols001

Vapping Drone Pilot

Oct 12, 2018
    That is a good idea! My question is does she use a service to know how much like a 4x4x4 box that ways 3.5 pounds shipping to California let’s say.
    I do a lot of eBay and hate shipping because it’s back and fourth the the post office. I’ve thought about looking into how you ship from home but didn’t know which company to trust. I know each box has to be measured and you have to know the weight. Does it give you the prices on different shipping and tracking numbers?
    Thank You for any help!
    Jim

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread