The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Mixing By Weight: Basics 101

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Capt.shay, May 13, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. FranC

FranC TWR Co-Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Thank you. I'll get some 4oz and 8oz next time I can.

• Like Like x 2
  2. DHolly

DHolly Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2014
    Kennesaw, GA. USA
    Thank you for your time and the great details in this post.
    I’ve been mixing with this scale for years, wish I’d read this way back then!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  3. yo han

yo han Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2008
    the Dutch mountains
    Funny
    I posted a similar thread and blog entry in 2013 and only got a handful of replies since hardly anyone was interested. Looks like people have finally grown enough brain cells to value this method :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Well the carbon dioxide in cigarettes can be hard on the brain, or so I hear. Maybe we've all wised up.

Although, let me be clear, I don't actually find this method valuable. I use nic base and volume to be quite honest. I have also found the necessity to be accurate to the Nth degree not necessarily that important *to me.* Things that are necessarily "Accurate to the Nth degree" tend to include things like medications (although I guess the FDA does NOT think so, I mean generics can be pus or minus 20% that is a 40% degree of variance people! If you find a generic that works, get your pharmacy to special order it for you, they will. Okay that is my PSA for the day.)

I wonder if once vape pods go "generic" they will be allowed to have a "plus or minus" variance of 20%. With the Juul pods, I guess that could be a problem.

Sorry, I'm not sticking to weight. Yeah, it was okay. I didn't find it quicker than nic base plus flavors but eh.

Anna

5. yo han

yo han Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2008
    the Dutch mountains
    Oh it's not really about accuracy (at least not to me it is). It's the convenience of putting down bottle on a scale and just throwing in ingredients without the need of extra measuring tools and without having to do cleaning between the different ingredients and afterwards.
    I can make a recipe even if I'm in the car or on the train because there's no need to rinse anything. It's accurate, it's quick and it's clean.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Strangebrew2

Strangebrew2 Full Member

Supporting member
    Apr 20, 2019
    Is there any info as to what percent of e-cig users DIY mix?
    I'll check the "Polls" section...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Letitia

Letitia Citrus Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Not as many as one would hope, mixing isn't common in the wild.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I would be Surprised if the Total was more than 10 ~ 15%.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    That's probably what the numbers are here. Hopefully I'm wrong, don't visit the shops anymore so don't talk to many vapers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    You won't find DIY in vape shops like buying up overpriced equipment anyway? Isn't 90 percent or so of their sales in eliquids?

But yes, I am thinking not that many. It can be a steep learning curve AND (I sometimes feel) a PITA after a mammoth mixing session but you know the deeming thread was convincing and I read most of it early on.

Anna

11. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    That would be interesting information to know. I haven't seen polls that reveal a percentage. As easy as it is, you'd think the numbers to be significant. $100 spent on scales, PG, VG, Nic, and flavors goes a long way vs spending it on vendor juice. I get that vendors need customers, but the current climate suggests that we all switch to DIY if we plan to continue vaping. Government seems set on doing away with anything but tobacco flavors.

• Like Like x 2
  12. greenmachine17

greenmachine17 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 12, 2015
    Street Level U.S.A.
    And yet , the stix that killed so many people,slowly,is still allowed in every store shelf

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Well in my state tobacco must be behind the counter, under glass, or in a locked cabinet.

14. greenmachine17

greenmachine17 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 12, 2015
    Street Level U.S.A.
    ALL STATES.behind counter. Ur Taking it too literal..you get the idea

15. Strangebrew2

Strangebrew2 Full Member

Supporting member
    Apr 20, 2019
    For them that don't know the cost savings of DIY.
    30 ml. = $ 0.70

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Quick1

Quick1 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    USA
    I would be surprised if the DIY e-liquid total was even 1%.
    I'd guess way less than 5% have ever rebuilt an atomizer.
    My college aged kids buy from some store and get those pod things. Never been on an e-cig forum.
    I think the numbers who buy replacement juice and hardware online is significant. Maybe much more than 50%?

I'm not sure how you would get a valid poll. Naturally the numbers would be skewed way high if you poll on an e-cig forum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1