Not open for further replies.

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    You could certainly go that route. However, I prefer a twist-top cap for my bases, when measuring by weight. The twist top (I feel) gives me greater control over dispensing. By only partially opening the cap, I can restrict flow, and give myself a slower, more controlled pour.

When you get your bottles (whichever ones you choose), and before you fill them with your real ingredients, I would strongly encourage you to practice pouring/weighing with water. Water will be thinner than your other ingredients, and therefore, more difficult to pour/control. When you can control/stop a pour (using water) on specific targeted weights, you are ready to start using real ingredients.

These are the bottles I use:
    View attachment 796793
    (from Nicotine River)

Something to think about when choosing sizes:
    The weight/volume of the ingredient affects the pouring speed. A full/nearly full large bottle is going to want to pour faster, than a smaller bottle, or a nearly empty bottle. Just because, the weight of all the extra liquid is trying to push its way out, when the bottle is inverted.

I have found a couple of ways to help control this:
    -- Smaller bottles naturally have less liquid force/pressure, to compensate for. Consider using a smaller bottle and re-fill more frequently. It is all about finding a balance between convenience and control.
    And, in the case of nicotine-containing ingredients (nicotine concentrate, or diluted nicotine base), remember to consider: the possible effect of oxidation, caused by long exposure to excessive headspace/air.

For my usage; I find a 2-4oz. bottle gives me a 3-ish month quantity... enough to not have to refill every mixing session, but not so much that the nic oxidation hurts the quality of my recipes.

Because PG, and VG, are much less affected by air exposure; I find 8-16oz bottles are fine.

-- Only open the twist cap a small amount. Open just enough to allow the liquid to come out... slowly. The thicker/more viscous the liquid, the more open the tip can be.

-- Tilt the bottle slowly. By tilting the bottle, only enough to let the liquid reach the tip of the bottle, you can minimize the pressure the liquid exerts on itself.

-- Use the back pressure/vacuum/suction, that naturally occurs when pouring, to work in your favor. When you squeeze out a liquid, and then stop squeezing; the plastic wants to return to its original shape, and suck air into the bottle (stopping the flow of liquid). By first squeezing a bit of air out of the bottle (while still upright), and then beginning to pour; you can use the squeeze-release/suctioning action, to give yourself greater control.
    :)
    Thank you. I'll get some 4oz and 8oz next time I can.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Well the carbon dioxide in cigarettes can be hard on the brain, or so I hear. Maybe we've all wised up.

Although, let me be clear, I don't actually find this method valuable. I use nic base and volume to be quite honest. I have also found the necessity to be accurate to the Nth degree not necessarily that important *to me.* Things that are necessarily "Accurate to the Nth degree" tend to include things like medications (although I guess the FDA does NOT think so, I mean generics can be pus or minus 20% that is a 40% degree of variance people! If you find a generic that works, get your pharmacy to special order it for you, they will. Okay that is my PSA for the day.)

I wonder if once vape pods go "generic" they will be allowed to have a "plus or minus" variance of 20%. With the juul pods, I guess that could be a problem.

Sorry, I'm not sticking to weight. Yeah, it was okay. I didn't find it quicker than nic base plus flavors but eh.

Anna

yo han

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2008
    the Dutch mountains
    Oh it's not really about accuracy (at least not to me it is). It's the convenience of putting down bottle on a scale and just throwing in ingredients without the need of extra measuring tools and without having to do cleaning between the different ingredients and afterwards.
    I can make a recipe even if I'm in the car or on the train because there's no need to rinse anything. It's accurate, it's quick and it's clean.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    You won't find DIY in vape shops like buying up overpriced equipment anyway? Isn't 90 percent or so of their sales in eliquids?

But yes, I am thinking not that many. It can be a steep learning curve AND (I sometimes feel) a PITA after a mammoth mixing session but you know the deeming thread was convincing and I read most of it early on.

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Is there any info as to what percent of e-cig users DIY mix?
    I'll check the "Polls" section...

That would be interesting information to know. I haven't seen polls that reveal a percentage. As easy as it is, you'd think the numbers to be significant. $100 spent on scales, PG, VG, Nic, and flavors goes a long way vs spending it on vendor juice. I get that vendors need customers, but the current climate suggests that we all switch to DIY if we plan to continue vaping. Government seems set on doing away with anything but tobacco flavors.

greenmachine17

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 12, 2015
    Street Level U.S.A.
    That would be interesting information to know. I haven't seen polls that reveal a percentage. As easy as it is, you'd think the numbers to be significant. $100 spent on scales, PG, VG, Nic, and flavors goes a long way vs spending it on vendor juice. I get that vendors need customers, but the current climate suggests that we all switch to DIY if we plan to continue vaping. Government seems set on doing away with anything but tobacco flavors.
    And yet , the stix that killed so many people,slowly,is still allowed in every store shelf

Quick1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 11, 2010
    USA
    I would be Surprised if the Total was more than 10 ~ 15%.
    I would be surprised if the DIY e-liquid total was even 1%.
    I'd guess way less than 5% have ever rebuilt an atomizer.
    My college aged kids buy from some store and get those pod things. Never been on an e-cig forum.
    I think the numbers who buy replacement juice and hardware online is significant. Maybe much more than 50%?

I'm not sure how you would get a valid poll. Naturally the numbers would be skewed way high if you poll on an e-cig forum.

Nov 7, 2019
    • Deleted by classwife

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 29, 2015

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Thank you for posting the important information in this thread. I've known I needed to learn to DIY for a long time, but I was a little overwhelmed by it. I bought one of the scales you recommended, and I am wondering if the weights in the link below would be a good idea for me to buy too.

8 pcs calibration weight set 10g 20g 50g 100g 200g 500g - 1000g 1Kg total weight 814763022403 | eBay

Having a Set of Calibration Weights is a very good call for anyone who uses a Scale. Just make sure that whatever Weight(s) your scale needs to be Calibrated can be made from the Set you buy.

BTW anyvolume is a Very Good e-Bay seller.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Thank you for posting the important information in this thread. I've known I needed to learn to DIY for a long time, but I was a little overwhelmed by it. I bought one of the scales you recommended, and I am wondering if the weights in the link below would be a good idea for me to buy too.

8 pcs calibration weight set 10g 20g 50g 100g 200g 500g - 1000g 1Kg total weight 814763022403 | eBay
    Which scale did you order? Some include the weights in the package like my LB-501 did.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread