"Negative Reactions Mystify Electronic Cigarette Owners" - Please read!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketvapor

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
Rockledge, FL
A little bit off on a tangent, but:

I live in Florida, and there was an item on this morning's news that cigarette sales were down 25% from this time last year. This after their $1 a pack tax increase a few months ago. The staties are waving their arms in the air and going "whoo-hoo!".

In the article, the reporter stated that they believed smokers were now flocking to Georgia for their smokes, since, presumably, the taxes are lower there.

Are you kidding me? I live near Orlando, and I'm damn sure not driving 5 hours for cigarettes! My guess is that most folks are 1) quitting (we'll see how that works out in 6 months; 2) buying from the reservations; 3) switching to the dirt-cheapest generics they can find; or 4) going to e cigs.

I do believe that option 4 is right now the minority, but I don't think that will be the case in another 6 or 12 months. I know many smokers who are sick and tired of being taxed at this rate, even if they couldn't care a whit about health issues.

I recently did the math, and so far, I've spent about $100 more on e cig supplies than I would have on tobacco (this after 2 months). I currently have enough supplies to last at least 3 months if I didn't buy another thing. If I subtract the recent FL tax, I would break even right now.

Anyone who thinks this whole issue isn't profit-driven is kidding himself.

Barbi355

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
NQ Australia
www.sixholetheory.com
Kudos for this article. Lets flog it to the masses and hope it opens some eyes to the truths, instead of all this political crap. At the end of the dayits just the govt pooping themselves cause even though vaping is a safer alternative, (do we really need 5 years of research to tell us 2 chemicals are better than 4000?!?!?), they are **** scared of losing $xxxxxxxxxxxx from all the .... log/nrt taxes etc.

Moonstruck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2009
Colorado
I'm new to e-cigs and new here to the forum. But I wanted to thank Kristin for such a wonderful article. I have "dugg" it as well.

I just got my first starter kit 5 days ago, and I'm already down to only a handful of regular cigs a day after being a 2+ pack-a-day smoker for over 30 years. I've already shown them to my nieces, my sister, and my mom, all heavy smokers. I've ordered another starter kit for my mom.

Debbie Lee

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Burbank Ca.
I feel it was a real good and I would think twice before steroetyping someone as a smoker if I read this and was a anti/smoker and saw someone vaping and I would go talk to them and question them about the difference. Then I would talk to others about the ecig and analogs. Anyways I just posted the link on FB.Thank you so much for doing this WOOHOOOOOOO

Sar

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
New York, NY
A little bit off on a tangent, but:

I live in Florida, and there was an item on this morning's news that cigarette sales were down 25% from this time last year. This after their $1 a pack tax increase a few months ago. The staties are waving their arms in the air and going "whoo-hoo!".

In the article, the reporter stated that they believed smokers were now flocking to Georgia for their smokes, since, presumably, the taxes are lower there.

Are you kidding me? I live near Orlando, and I'm damn sure not driving 5 hours for cigarettes! ...

Rocket, where I live, a pack is between $10-$12, depending on brand / no-brand etc. But a carton will cost you about $110 on average. I used to smoke about 1.5 packs a day and would take a trip (few hours) few times a year to buy supply for several months, at least 20 cartons per trip. 20 cartons in NY would cost me $2,200. Outside of NY I would get carton for $35, so for twenty cartons that would be $700. That is $1,500 savings. Taking a day-trip to save $1,500 is worth it.

In Florida the analogs are not as expensive as in NY, but if the tobacco tax revenue is shrinking, the local government will need to raise the cig taxes to make up for it and a shopping trip of several hours will be more attractive to smokers.

In case of e-cig ban, I can see myself doing that for eliquid if I have to. Perhaps taking a trip to London to get supply for a year -- if there are brick-and-mortar stores that sell eliquid. If I were to continue smoking analogs, my addiction would cost me about $6,000 a year. Even with a shopping trip to London I would be well ahead of the game with PV.

Last edited:

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
Excellent article! I sent a short email and link to 2 local newspapers as well as Fox news. I also sent links to this story and Moonport's story on ASH to the Associated Press. :)

I don't know for sure that any of this will help or that any of those contacted will care, but I feel it is worth a try. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread