NEW!! ALERT 1/25/14- GotVapes.com was cloned in the past 24 hours - If you had difficulty ordering contact us

Status
Not open for further replies.

mousitch

Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
usa
Went to site by DIRECTLY typing in gotvapes.com in address bar. Only difference was "E" in address bar after it redirected, no way to really know the difference till it was to late. I used two different cards yesterday. Both failed but they got my info. Canceled both cards this morning. When i went to contact help to create ticket it directs me to dress shop. Site is messed up badly right now. Thank goodness someone else had Aspire nautilus heads in stock. Looks like I escaped with no fraudulent charges but will have to wait on new cards. Panicked morning here.

woody55

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2011
Went to site by DIRECTLY typing in gotvapes.com in address bar. Only difference was "E" in address bar after it redirected, no way to really know the difference till it was to late. I used two different cards yesterday. Both failed but they got my info. Canceled both cards this morning. When i went to contact help to create ticket it directs me to dress shop. Site is messed up badly right now. Thank goodness someone else had Aspire nautilus heads in stock. Looks like I escaped with no fraudulent charges but will have to wait on new cards. Panicked morning here.

Mousitch, clear your cache and browsing history and that should take care of that. We had the fake site shut down by the host provider. But as I said, clearing cache and browsing history should take care of you.

mousitch

Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
usa
Mousitch, clear your cache and browsing history and that should take care of that. We had the fake site shut down by the host provider. But as I said, clearing cache and browsing history should take care of you.

Working great now after clearing cache. Scary stuff. Will use prepay cards from now on.

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Whitestone , New York USA
  • Deleted by badkolo

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Whitestone , New York USA
  • Deleted by badkolo

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
Prepay cards is not a bad strategy although a bit of a hassle. Just always make sure when answering emails, paying at any site, whatever, to check the url in the address bar, make sure you see an 'https', this mean the information is being encrypted. A hacker most of the time will not use an encyrpted 'layer'. Why? Because the information will be scrambled so what they will do is redirect you to a seperate site for 'payment' with no encryption where they have installed a script that sends them all the information you inputted.

Basically what I am saying is just use common sense and standard precautions. The nice thing about using a credit card is that the Visa/Mc/AMEX infrastructure is centered around the consumers' protection and you are never liable for unauthorized purchases....

Working great now after clearing cache. Scary stuff. Will use prepay cards from now on.

Last edited:

woody55

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2011
Good deal, when you get stuf like that in your cache and browsing history it will continually try to redirect you to what is stored in cache because it doesn't see any difference in what you type. With us being proactive it kept this from becoming a bad situation!

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
When you are getting redirected... and no one else is... indicates the problem is with your computer itself.

Woody55 already mentioned that clearing the cache can help, but that is only in certain cases. At this time... the only known issue that was found already were the search results that got tainted, the GotVapes.com website itself was unaffected and was not the source of those redirects. What does this mean then for someone experiencing it... the redirect had to happen because of somewhere you visited or something that got installed onto your computer with or without your knowledge.

So if this happens to you... you should take additional precautions. To start, Clear out all of your temp files, clear your browser cache and then restart the computer. Next run a full scan ( not just a quick one ) with the protection software you have installed after you have updated it ( ps... you should only have one active protection software ). Then scan with spyware/adware untils such as Malwarebytes Antimalware and others if you have them... no one program detects all of the millions of possible malwares...

If you don't have current and up to date protection software already installed. If you don't have protection software or it has expired... Microsoft has Security Essentials for free for WinXP up to Windows 7 computers... Windows 8 and newer has Windows Defender which is almost identical. There are other free ones as well... these are just easy to use and catch a lot of stuff. I don't recommend Norton or McAfee though... at all. These types of protection software don't target spyware and adware malware very well.. because many of these types are subjective and some people actually install them on purpose ( I don't know why but they do )... For this reason, using a good antispyware to scan with after your primary active protection software is recommended. I like the earlier version of Spybot ( v1.62 ) and Emsisoft's Emergency Kit because both are portable and can be run from a USB stick.

While it isn't a protection software or scanner... I also use CCleaner to clean up the system before and after I disinfect one. It also has a safe to run registry cleaner that isn't too aggressive like many out there. The default settings do have area's that I don't like to clean up... such as history etc... but everyone will have different wants and needs... those defaults aren't a bad place to start but do look them over before running it just in case.

timbit

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Canada
Heya all...

Quick heads up but something might be wrong with gotvapes website...

Earlier today I clicked on their page through google & was sent to the correct address with no issues...

Now I can only get into their webpage by tricking the system & forcing the system to connect through previously cached versions. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem but I know I am.

I enter gotvapes.com & I am redirected to www. e-gotvapes .com...

After clearing my machine for various malware, I am left with the conclusion that the problem in on gotvapes side.

So I tried to get in touch with them, it was not easy but I managed to reach their contact page, which listed a phone number.

I called the number multiple times but it never worked.

Upon further inspection I found the following note on the bottom of their contact page...

Telephone: (832)241-7039*

*Please be aware that we do not handle customer service at the email address above or at the telephone number above. To keep things organized and to give the best possible and most consistent service you must use our ticket system at http://www.igotvapes.com. We published this information here solely because we belong to the ECF forum and their regulations require us to publish an email address and phone number on our contact page.

I was trying to call them to warn them that something might be wrong with their site (i.e. possible hijacking) but upon inspection of their page & the results of actually calling them (I have free long distance anywhere in north America so it should of worked if the number worked)...

I am left with the inescapable conclusion that they posted a fake phone number to superficially comply with ECF regulations while choosing to disregard the spirit or intent of said regulations.

Its sad all of this has happened, I was actually thinking about placing an order with them but at this point I can`t & won`t without speaking with them in real life.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it is what it is!

Timbit

woody55

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2011
Timbit, we had someone open a fake site yesterday. It was also shutdown yesterday. There is no problem with our site and has not been one with it. If you are being redirected you need to clear all cache, delete browsing history and all temp files. They were using google to redirect that is why it i necessary to clear everything.

nathkiira

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2012
TN, USA
Timbit, we had someone open a fake site yesterday. It was also shutdown yesterday. There is no problem with our site and has not been one with it. If you are being redirected you need to clear all cache, delete browsing history and all temp files. They were using google to redirect that is why it i necessary to clear everything.

and if they were using google to re-direct, the auto complete in chrome's address bar would do the same unfortunately....

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
Hi appreciate the info but to clarify, we do have a number listed and it is NOT fake. We just warn people that the proper avenue for customer service tickets is at igotvapes.com. There we can better handle and track any issues!

Yes, ECF does require that info on our contact us page but they leave it up to us how we want to handle CS issues. We have found that igotvapes.com and opening up a ticket is the best, fastest and most efficient solution especially as we have Max Wood, CS Superstar almost there on a 24 hour basis. Of course Max also sleep and eats but he is known to check things at all hours of the day!

We do appreciate however that you tried to contact us the fastest way you thought possible! It is much appreciated but remember our igotvapes.com site is very very responsive due to the fact we keep Max locked up in his basement chained to his computer desk. His grandkids are definitely allowed to visit and I periodically send him a box of beef jerky which is better than the Cheetos that Chris used to throw down to BR.....

By the way, when you do call that number it will pick up and kindly direct you to http://www.igotvapes.com for any customer service issues

Heya all...

Quick heads up but something might be wrong with gotvapes website...

Earlier today I clicked on their page through google & was sent to the correct address with no issues...

Now I can only get into their webpage by tricking the system & forcing the system to connect through previously cached versions. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem but I know I am.

I enter gotvapes.com & I am redirected to www. e-gotvapes .com...

After clearing my machine for various malware, I am left with the conclusion that the problem in on gotvapes side.

So I tried to get in touch with them, it was not easy but I managed to reach their contact page, which listed a phone number.

I called the number multiple times but it never worked.

Upon further inspection I found the following note on the bottom of their contact page...

Telephone: (832)241-7039*

*Please be aware that we do not handle customer service at the email address above or at the telephone number above. To keep things organized and to give the best possible and most consistent service you must use our ticket system at GotVapes Help Center and Knowledge Base. We published this information here solely because we belong to the ECF forum and their regulations require us to publish an email address and phone number on our contact page.

I was trying to call them to warn them that something might be wrong with their site (i.e. possible hijacking) but upon inspection of their page & the results of actually calling them (I have free long distance anywhere in north America so it should of worked if the number worked)...

I am left with the inescapable conclusion that they posted a fake phone number to superficially comply with ECF regulations while choosing to disregard the spirit or intent of said regulations.

Its sad all of this has happened, I was actually thinking about placing an order with them but at this point I can`t & won`t without speaking with them in real life.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it is what it is!

Timbit

Last edited:

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
Just one more thing about using our Help Desk site: if we did not use this we would have to hire a person to sit by a phone in front of a computer (to check details of your issue) on a daily shift and then it would only be so many hours a day - and it would have to be an experienced vaper. With the Help Desk system Max, who has great vaping experience and know-how, especially on GotVapes products, graciously monitors tickets at all hours basically, as many of you have probably found out by getting responses sometimes at 2am, 3am, etc. This is helpful as some customers have to change an order before it is shipped. Max informs me by skype or email right away so I can catch it before we close out shipping for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread