Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
"In research that turns on its head previous thinking about links between schizophrenia and smoking, scientists say they have found that cigarettes may be a causal factor in the development of psychosis."

and

""While it's always hard to determine the direction of causality, our findings indicate that smoking should be taken seriously as a possible risk factor for developing psychosis," James MacCabe, a psychosis expert who co-led the research at King's College London's Institute of Psychiatry, told reporters."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/09/healthcare-smoking-schizophrenia-idUSL8N0ZP1TI20150709

Link broken, because I don't trust that any press release, or the articles I've seen on it, are reporting accurately on the research, which I haven't seen.

"News" ought to be about what IS or what IS NOT.
It happens so frequently nowadays that news reports waste our time reporting on "may be".
Whenever that happens I have to assume it's really a sponsored/lobbied propaganda piece.

azb8496

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
VA, USA
"News" ought to be about what IS or what IS NOT.

And it used to be back when we lived in a sane country. The subjective adjectives and assumptions like [insert anyone's name or position] "feels", " thinks", "says", etc. used to only exist in editorials.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
We have news commentary now not just the news. It has all gotten based in sensationalism. I call it enquireristic news.

I never paid any intention to that lyric before. Now I love the song. (It's not the first time great music has somehow gotten by me.)

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
I didn't read the thread so sorry if this is already been said...
people with mental problems (schizo, depression, adhd...) tend to smoke more, as an unconscious self medication.

I have ADD and really noticed once I lowered my nic and decided to go up, and recently went to see my doctor and he told me to keep vaping and don't lower it. he even told me if I could up it up a bit

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
yeah
I didn't read the thread so sorry if this is already been said...
people with mental problems (schizo, depression, adhd...) tend to smoke more, as an unconscious self medication.

I have ADD and really noticed once I lowered my nic and decided to go up, and recently went to see my doctor and he told me to keep vaping and don't lower it. he even told me if I could up it up a bit
yeah I recently went back up to 12mg nic to help with anxiety issues. I still keep 6 mg made up for my before bedtime vaping. yellow dot on the tanks with high nic.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Depression is actually a very insidious coping mechanism; if one is deeply angry and/or anxious but has never been free to express that anger or expose that anxiety, depression allows one to carry on, even if in a very reduced capacity.
That's a very interesting comment from an intellectual standpoint.
Although probably not so "interesting" to those who live there.

As someone who was always outgoing, unafraid, never shy, and much larger then the average human...
I've never really suppressed much of anything in my life.

Except maybe the fact that I don't much like my wife's vegetable lasagna.
:laugh:

But depressed I don't think I will ever be.
It's not too bad to be me.
:)

Also, I've found both nicotine and Buspar to be very helpful for anxiety.
I do often get quite anxious when dealing with all that surrounds me, like horrible drivers.

But then, I am not always afforded the opportunity to express myself to them directly.
So yeah, the nicotine and Buspar.

Reactions: Lessifer

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I've been on nodding terms with OCD, though it never became truly debilitating; more of a tendency than a true pathology...
I believe this thread will certainly interest you...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/do-you-have-obsessive-compulsive-tendencies.33583/

I am a bit OCD myself, but not a lot.
Nobody I know would really say I am, but I see it in my daily activities.

I like to keep control of what surrounds me.
Because chaos is much harder for me to deal with.

My slight tendencies towards OCD are why I have been so good at saving money.
And why my life is mostly clutter-free at any given time.

But we can't control everything, or even half the things.
Which is again why nicotine and Buspar have been so helpful to me.

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
Shouldn't they observe more schizophrenia in older smokers? The longer someone smokes, the more nicotine they would be exposed to. Conversely, does schizophrenia go away once one quits smoking? I haven't read the study, but it seems really stupid to me. I thought schizophrenia diagnosis peeked around puberty when hopefully very little smoking had even occurred in the patients?

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I believe this thread will certainly interest you...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/do-you-have-obsessive-compulsive-tendencies.33583/

I am a bit OCD myself, but not a lot.
Nobody I know would really say I am, but I see it in my daily activities.

I like to keep control of what surrounds me.
Because chaos is much harder for me to deal with.

My slight tendencies towards OCD are why I have been so good at saving money.
And why my life is mostly clutter-free at any given time.

But we can't control everything, or even half the things.
Which is again why nicotine and Buspar have been so helpful to me.

I have lifelong major OCD. I see a lot of mine as perfectionism or related, like, for instance, anxieties that attempt to achieve a state of 100% reassurance of no danger. My OCD makes communicating via text very tedious, and rarely worth it. I'm keeping it under control a bit taking part in ecf, better than past experiences, but not well enough, yet. I also have Tourette's and ADD.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
My OCD makes communicating via text very tedious, and rarely worth it. I'm keeping it under control a bit taking part in ecf, better than past experiences, but not well enough, yet. I also have Tourette's and ADD.
All things that may very well be helped by nicotine.
Not that Big Pharma wants you to know that, but the studies are certainly out there.

I can't remember.
Are you looking to reduce your nicotine usage through vaping?

Because, honestly, maybe you shouldn't.
But I'm no doctor.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I have lifelong major OCD. I see a lot of mine as perfectionism or related, like, for instance, anxieties that attempt to achieve a state of 100% reassurance of no danger.
My anxieties mostly center around trying to prevent idiots from having an impact on my life.

It's helpful to realize I can't stop it though.
After all, that's what idiots do best.

And there's just too damn many of them!

Last edited:

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
All things that may very well be helped by nicotine.
Not that Big Pharma wants you to know that, but the studies are certainly out there.

I can't remember.
Are you looking to reduce your nicotine usage through vaping?

Because, honestly, maybe you shouldn't.
But I'm no doctor.

I switched to vaping to reduce harm. I think I'd like to quit vaping at some point, but with some alternative for nicotine. No intention of quitting nicotine in the future, though I'm not ruling it out, either.

The evidence for nicotine for Tourettes is weak, and the research is either abandoned, or not getting anywhere, I think. Nothing since 2001. Nicotine seems like it's helpful for my ADD, but I'd have to have a nicotine-free clone of myself to compare to, in order to be more sure.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
My anxieties mostly center around trying to prevent idiots from having an impact on my life.

It's helpful to realize I can't stop it though.
After all, that's what idiots do best.
Vaping grant me the serenity to accept that which I cannot control, the courage to change what which I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I'm not a religious man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread