Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
vaping grant me the serenity to accept that which I cannot control, the courage to change what which I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I'm not a religious man.
I am a religious man, but I'll go ahead and like your post anyway.
Serenity is a great goal to achieve, and one of the hardest.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I switched to vaping to reduce harm. I think I'd like to quit vaping at some point, but with some alternative for nicotine. No intention of quitting nicotine in the future, though I'm not ruling it out, either.

The evidence for nicotine for Tourettes is weak, and the research is either abandoned, or not getting anywhere, I think. Nothing since 2001. Nicotine seems like it's helpful for my ADD, but I'd have to have a nicotine-free clone of myself to compare to, in order to be more sure.

I really don't know much about Tourettes, but I can tell you for at least for me, nicotine helps my moderate ADD. I've gone through periods when I was smoking that I paused (trying to quit) for 6 months to 3 years, and in each case, my concentration suffered measurably. When I went back to smoking after the last quit attempt (3 years long), my boss at the time even commented on my marked improvement in productivity.

Everyone is different, but it's worth asking your doctor if nicotine (without smoking) might help with your ADD symptoms.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I really don't know much about Tourettes, but I can tell you for at least for me, nicotine helps my moderate ADD. I've gone through periods when I was smoking that I paused (trying to quit) for 6 months to 3 years, and in each case, my concentration suffered measurably. When I went back to smoking after the last quit attempt (3 years long), my boss at the time even commented on my marked improvement in productivity.

Everyone is different, but it's worth asking your doctor if nicotine (without smoking) might help with your ADD symptoms.
I am convinced that coffee helps for me. I experience caffeine as a much stronger drug than nicotine. Then again, it could be other goodies in coffee combining with the caffeine.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
That's a very interesting comment from an intellectual standpoint.
Although probably not so "interesting" to those who live there.

As someone who was always outgoing, unafraid, never shy, and much larger then the average human...
I've never really suppressed much of anything in my life.

Except maybe the fact that I don't much like my wife's vegetable lasagna.
:laugh:

But depressed I don't think I will ever be.
It's not too bad to be me.
:)

Also, I've found both nicotine and Buspar to be very helpful for anxiety.
I do often get quite anxious when dealing with all that surrounds me, like horrible drivers.

But then, I am not always afforded the opportunity to express myself to them directly.
So yeah, the nicotine and Buspar.

When one is raised by those who do not allow any expression of anger, without punishment, and who treat one's anxiety disorder as a mere "attempt to get attention"... one learns depression (and substance abuse) as a way of self-preservation, and it can take decades and 12+ yrs of sobriety to be able to find and recognize the truth of one's own life. If one is also then fortunate enough to have a supportive spouse and good medical/psychiatrical care, one might also have the opportunity to resolve it once and for all.

Andria

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I am convinced that coffee helps for me. I experience caffeine as a much stronger drug than nicotine. Then again, it could be other goodies in coffee combining with the caffeine.

I need my 2 cups of coffee in the morning or else I'm useless. When I was younger, I could drink caffeine all day long without issue, but now if I drink more than my coffee in the morning and maybe 16 oz of soda, I get jittery and my concentration degrades.

Reactions: Kent C

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I need my 2 cups of coffee in the morning or else I'm useless. When I was younger, I could drink caffeine all day long without issue, but now if I drink more than my coffee in the morning and maybe 16 oz of soda, I get jittery and my concentration degrades.

I still drink my share of coffee, but I believe it is less - or less 'important' - than when I was smoking. I do more Arizona Green Tea now - which also has caffeine but not at the percentage of the coffee I drink. I've never gotten the 'shakes' from coffee, although going without it will get that 'headache' on occasion.

Reactions: BuGlen

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I believe this thread will certainly interest you...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/do-you-have-obsessive-compulsive-tendencies.33583/

I am a bit OCD myself, but not a lot.
Nobody I know would really say I am, but I see it in my daily activities.

I like to keep control of what surrounds me.
Because chaos is much harder for me to deal with.

My slight tendencies towards OCD are why I have been so good at saving money.
And why my life is mostly clutter-free at any given time.

But we can't control everything, or even half the things.
Which is again why nicotine and Buspar have been so helpful to me.

It's not really a problem for me, at least, not anymore. When my PTSD reached critical mass and my depression and ability to "carry on" reached a crisis point, it was a coping mechanism, but since those issues have been resolved, it's more or less disappeared, though I have my "little ways" -- I keep up with our budget nearly with a magnifying glass, and such close attention has solved a LOT of the issues we suffered during the recent "economic meltdown" -- that, along with more work hours (return to 40 hr weeks plus regular OT) and a small raise, plus giving up those expensive coffin nails, has mended a great many of our financial difficulties, which were far more than worrying to a person with an anxiety disorder. I also managed to turn my anxiety in a positive direction, by making all the adjustments and corrections necessary to allow us to purchase our own home -- so we are no longer at the mercy of a landlord with an "underwater" mortgage.

One really nice thing about hitting "bottom"... there's really noplace to go, but UP. :thumb:

Andria

Reactions: nicnik

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I still drink my share of coffee, but I believe it is less - or less 'important' - than when I was smoking. I do more Arizona Green Tea now - which also has caffeine but not at the percentage of the coffee I drink. I've never gotten the 'shakes' from coffee, although going without it will get that 'headache' on occasion.

I'm the same way with coffee, where if I don't drink my required 2 cups in the morning, I get a headache and I'm pretty much done. I don't get the shakes from too much caffeine, but I do start grinding my teeth to the point where my jaw will start to ache. That's when I know I've gone overboard.

Reactions: Kent C

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I am a religious man, but I'll go ahead and like your post anyway.
Serenity is a great goal to achieve, and one of the hardest.

I'm not, and one of the most serene moments is when I realized I wasn't. No intent to continue on the subject, but same as you 'I'll go ahead and 'like' your post anyway :- )

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
I don't buy it. Schizophrenia research isn't new and it's been pretty well established there is a strong genetic component (like with many mental illnesses). I find it hard to believe that smoking is a cause and I doubt the research shows that. It could be that teenage smoking might affect the brain in a way that people already genetically predisposed might have a higher chance of developing the disease, but it's a simplification to say "smoking causes schizophrenia."

Yes, it has been known for years that smoking is very prevalent among schizophrenics (about 80%), but saying that smoking causes the disease is a stretch.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I don't buy it. Schizophrenia research isn't new and it's been pretty well established there is a strong genetic component (like with many mental illnesses). I find it hard to believe that smoking is a cause and I doubt the research shows that. It could be that teenage smoking might affect the brain in a way that people already genetically predisposed might have a higher chance of developing the disease, but it's a simplification to say "smoking causes schizophrenia."

Yes, it has been known for years that smoking is very prevalent among schizophrenics (about 80%), but saying that smoking causes the disease is a stretch.
The study itself acknowledges this, that there is a strong biological component to schizophrenia, they're just purporting that smoking/nicotine may act as a trigger as opposed to a self medication of symptoms. Their data analysis is questionable though.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I don't buy it. Schizophrenia research isn't new and it's been pretty well established there is a strong genetic component (like with many mental illnesses).

In the full text write-up of the study, or maybe it was in the audio interview posted on the Lancet page, they offer as evidence, that schizophrenics have a high incidence of the gentic markers associated with increased risk of smoking addiction, or maybe it was tobacco or nicotine addiction - they interchange smoking/tobacco/nicotine like they're the same.

Anyway, I don't see how that is anything but evidence against their theory. (Is "theory" the right word? Maybe "hypothesis"?)

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
This is ridiculous. I know people who have never smoked and have paranoid schizophrenia or schizo effective disorder. So why then do they have these illnesses if they are caused by smoking?

They're not saying that all schizophrenia is caused by smoking. They're guessing a slight increased risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread