The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

New member. Looking for the best mesh RTA to buy

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by thomasterrible, Jun 6, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. thomasterrible

thomasterrible Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 24, 2018
    Yeah I just tried it again. It had to be the new juice was disgusting so that's easy. But it is not getting juice where it needs to go so I am getting a burnt taste, not as bad as a burnt coil but enough so you don't want to vape it.

So now I have to hope someone knows how to diagnose and/or fix the issue. I think it is just using up the juice I put on the cotton and mesh after installing it but after that new juice is not flowing up the wick. I don't know how to make sure the juice is getting in to the well at the bottom where the wick goes in to. I am pretty sure that is the issue. For now I will screw in a new pre-made mesh head and do some vaping to relax....

• Like Like x 1
  2. Myk

Myk Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    Less wick in the holes = more feed.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. thomasterrible

May 24, 2018
    Well it was .25 when I did not cut any off the strip it came with. But all the photos showed it being placed where the air holes were. Though I would have had a hell of a juicy wick had it been as big as the full loop. Anyway I cut enough to make the top of the mesh arc go from above the metal sides of the deck down to just above the holes in the metal sides.

I don't doubt that it takes 5ml but is that supposed to be all that is needed to fill the small gap between the glass and the metal inside? That is really a thin space and doesn't seem like it is holding 5ml. I can measure it but it seems like it isn't that much.
    I don't know if there is something I forgot to do or did wrong. But it is just not working properly.

When I pulsed the mesh (when it was full length) I started low and increased the wattage never letting it get too hot. I stopped when it got near 40 watts and a quick push of the fire button had it instantly glow orange completely evenly. So the mesh heating part of it is working. After the first nasty menthol tasting stuff I put a bit of juice and pulsed it with just the deck out and it made some smoke.

I really think I have some sort of juice delivery issue. Not really sure what to try next but I only have one more piece of Kanthal so I should probably go ahead and buy a roll if I intend to keep using this.
    Sure it was disappointing but I am not giving up yet and having a bunch of working atomizers and a couple mods next to me makes it a pretty small issue.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Myk

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    Also just in case you try, IME too much liquid in TC seems to make it try too hard and it ends up burnt tasting. So in TC it's a balance to get the right amount of feed.

I'm not sure but I don't think that would apply to VW since it's a consistent voltage applied.

• Like Like x 1
  5. thomasterrible

May 24, 2018
    You know I did read your previous post when you mentioned that. It could be a reason for the lack of juice flow. It sort of came down to having the same diameter cotton fill the space inside the mesh which is much larger than the wick holes. I tried not to pack it and I put juice on it to get it to fit in there. It was not ideal. I also tried putting in one side of the mesh then laying the wick in there and putting the other half of the mesh in the clamp after inserting the wick. I like the way it clamps but because the wick that comes out the ends has to take such a radical bend down in to an oddly shaped hole I think is as much a design flaw as anything. I would really like to get this thing working properly. Ideally so I liked it and used it. But at least so I know what it is like when it works. I like that it has the 810 tip so I am not worried about anything getting hot.
    These things can be pretty frustrating.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Myk

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    .18Ω is what I get with 1" of the SS316L. 1" is what I use and bend it into the shape of "Ω" instead of "n" so it's bulged at the sides instead of a straight arch.

• Like Like x 1
  7. thomasterrible

May 24, 2018
    I am not attempting TC mode at all. But I think it is more than likely that the wick is not working as it should. I have never used or seen one of these working in a store. That would be nice to see what a properly working one was like to know how much effort it was worth lol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. thomasterrible

May 24, 2018
    It was coincidence. I cut some wick off so it gave a lower reading. And this is my atomizers reading which is not the most accurate in the world IMO but good enough to work.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Myk

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    Last times I cut the bottom half of the wick even with the deck and just shoved it back towards the coil. I only try to put the top half of the wick into the holes. If there is any open space left in the holes I assume the bottom half fluffs out to cover them without going into the holes.

It's easier to build than any I have and what I have isn't that hard. There's obviously not much to making the coil. It's just a matter of getting all that wick to not choke the holes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Myk

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    I just tried VW. Granted it's with stainless so it's a lighter gauge. 22w is what I liked. 23.5w was getting spit back. 24.5w was burnt. A little change was a big difference.

I assume your bought mesh coils are stamped. You could probably tear a used one of those apart, use that stamped mesh and dry burn it to revive it if you want higher Ω and more mass.

• Like Like x 1
  11. madstabber

madstabber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Coming in late and didn’t read all the posts but here goes. I use 7/8” long mesh so basically the same as Myk. It ohms at .16. You need to thin out the wicking that your putting in the channel. So much so that if it was bottom airflow it would leak all over. If you take to much you can work back so hack some cotton. Also cut them short so it doesn’t touch the bottom of the channel. I found that can help a lot. It lets the juice in before it hits your wick. Hopefully that made sense. Try to make it leak because you’d be suprised how little wicking it takes to feed the mesh. Like I said I didn’t read all the posts but I hope we are talking about the Themis. I hope you get it to work because I’m loving my Themis. The mesh is super easy to work with and I get great flavor and zero leaking. I’m a huge Themis fan, good luck I hope you get her running right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. thomasterrible

May 24, 2018
    I did read the last two posts but I am at a temporary standstill. I decided to scratch off the anti-counterfeit label on the Themis box and it came back as not found. So they sold me a fake. Which then makes me wonder if the Bacon Prime wick they sold me was fake too. The juice I bought from them was a cheap orange just to have but it tasted like straight menthol or something strong and nasty but not in any way orange or cream which it was supposed the be. I got an email back on the juice saying that peoples tastes differ and steeping changes things etc. etc. and I sent them one back letting them know that I can tell the difference between something not steeped and something that is just nasty and they were offering me next to nothing for it. I offered to send it to them so they could vape it and tell me it was just their imagination and it was actually really good.
    Then is when I thought I would send a message to Digitech to ask them about the issue.
    And they won't help with a counterfeit product and of course there is no warranty. Breazy is not an authorized dealer for them either. Getting ripped off sucks. Depending on how serious they take me and what they do for me will determine my next step. I am not going to put more effort in to a fake product with wick that might also be fake.

I will get back on here when I get things worked out. I don't like getting ripped off. I will get another bag of wick from a source I know it is real as that certainly could be causing my wicking issues.

• Like Like x 1
  13. stylemessiah

stylemessiah Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2015
    Mesh in RTA's is largely for those who want to fiddle, get frustrated (you thought hotspots in a wire coil were a pain), and finally come to the realisation that it offers nothing over standard wire builds...

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. madstabber

That sucks, I’ve seen breazy on other forums helping people with complaints but I don’t know if they have people here. So just to be clear you’re saying breazy sold you the counterfeit Themis, correct?

• Like Like x 1
  15. madstabber

I wholeheartedly disagree. I think the big increase in surface area gives mesh huge potential. Building my Themis is really easy and gives me a nice flavorful vape. I haven’t had to deal with any hotspots yet so that hasn’t been an issue at all.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Myk

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    I just checked mine. My black one, the one with the problems came back as doesn't exist. My other one did exist.
    I double checked my black one and part of the scratch off didn't scratch off. Then it existed.
    Double check.

End stores don't have to be authorized, only distributors. Dealt with that and Joytech back in the day.

I couldn't disagree more. It's very simple to build as I figured it would be. The learning curve wasn't even big at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. stylemessiah

stylemessiah Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2015
    Give it time....And be sure to let me know when you get your first mesh dry hit..with a shedload of bloody cotton that can't wick efficiently due to the sheer size and density of it (might be ok in a squonker), it will happen

I've told the story elsewhere if a friend who ordered the non-mesh Themis but got sent a mesh one by mistake, luckily for him my non-mesh Themis was faulty, so he got my non-mesh Themis deck...otherwise he would have binned his mesh decked Themis. He was that unimpressed with it...got my non-mesh deck and was a happy camper

Anyone remember the name of that fancy and expensive stainless wire cable wick and mesh RTA that looked like you were stuffing socks into it because if the sheer amount if cotton needed was that came out end of last year?, no I didn't think so, because no one sane bought one, and those that did aren't raving about them only months later...so revolutionary no one can remember...those dry hit as well from memory, I'm betting for the same reason, stupid amounts of inefficiently wicking cotton...

Mesh RTA's...China has to keep people buying stuff

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Myk

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    Did you ever consider if nobody else has a problem and you had the problem many times over multiple items that the problem is you?
    I read your story elsewhere. Your buddy got your deck from the attys you said you returned because the top leaked? I'm amazed your RMA was approved sending them back a different item than they sent you.

I'm not saying I've never had burnt hits. I solved them.
    If you pulsed to get an even glow before you start, hot spots would be you either don't have enough wick to cover everywhere on the coil or you're not wicking fast enough.
    Or with TC you're flooding and the coil is trying to get too hot to burn it off because of the low mass.
    And I can tell from your comment about the volume of cotton not wicking is you really don't have a grasp of how things work. Once primed it takes a long time to get that volume of cotton dry enough to be the cause of a burnt hit.

Your leaking tops were probably you not closing it all the way. One faulty top not tight enough would be believable. Multiples over different similar brands. It's you.
    Otherwise it is simply impossible to do what you said.

Yes many reviewers getting free stuff gloss over the bad but the rest of us who pay for the stuff don't. If your leaks were an issue with manufacturing they would be an issue known about.
    Your hot spots are a build issue that you didn't want to take the time to learn how to fix.
    The burns with the Vandy mesh are wide spread and known about, why aren't they with the Themis?

• Like Like x 1
  19. thomasterrible

May 24, 2018
    Yup. It was from Breazy and I contacted Digitech and of course it is not under any warranty being counterfeit. Breazy is not an authorized dealer and they asked for the numbers but I sent them a photo with the numbers. The numbers are so tiny and on a black and white background that as I don't have a magnifying glass the only way I could read them was to take a close up and zoom in.

I also bought some juice from them. It was supposed to be an orange cream. It was disgusting, it tasted like perhaps pure menthol or some chemical but it was gross garbage nobody would have wanted a second vape of. They told me about steeping and the various things if a juice is just not to someones liking. I had to tell them that a credit of $2.20 in store credit for something that as far as I know could be toxic told me they did not believe me. I took the wick out and rinsed the RTA out with hot water and rewicked it and put known juice I had tried before on it and it was fine as far as the no gross chemical flavored juice.

They told me some manager would get back to me but they can not sell counterfeit products it is a criminal offense. They get them from a 3rd party, a shady knockoff third party.

Since I liked the mesh coils which is how this whole thing started I already had two Smok Big Baby Beasts and Breazy had some on sale for $12.99 so I bought two. They were not quite as they were supposed to be. They did not contain the same coils as either on the box or in the ad. But they were simple and good enough so I did not think much of it. The second one I got did not have any of the extra coils. It is supposed to have one installed and two in the box. Breazy ended up giving me a credit for all the issues I had been having and for me being upset that they had not charged me tax and then suddenly did and could not be specific about why.

I have just got the verification tool from Smok for their new way of testing the two Q codes to verify if it is counterfeit or not. I will see about that. I might buy it if it worked well enough and was a low enough price but being defrauded is a whole different ball game.

And there is another Federal Law that has been broken that many probably don't know about but for sure is something that would be followed up by a complaint. I will explain later.

I think that mesh is nice. I had zero issues installing it. I did not have to tweak it or do anything but a proper install to have it firing evenly without any hot spots of flaws of any kind. And that was my first try. But hey what do we have at the moment? A whole two devices in the world to chose from? If there is a market these things will start evolving in to better units. I still don't know if the Themis is good or not because it is not a legit version and I have to question the wick too as I have never used Bacon much less Bacon prime before. I do have some very high end cotton that comes very much like Bacon does as far as the rope type I could use as a known thing. Though I do want to use the Bacon as it is so forgiving and absorbs so much juice.

I can make coils and there are those that like to tinker and such.
    For me I would like a mesh RTA because it is a quick and easy and inexpensive build. And it is not the only thing I will be using. I will still keep my 5 Big Baby Beasts with the mesh coil heads in them. I might still use my Cleito. I may still use my Crown 1. Oddly enough I am pretty doubtful about using what appear to me like they are both the best engineered tanks and totally leak free and the coils seem to be the best engineered and highest quality, much better than the ones I prefer. That would be the Crown 3 and the Valaryian. They need more wattage to work well and I think that might be the issue. I am not sure but I think that my Crave Aromamizer Supreme is an interesting and cool unit and I like the juice flow on it and the one thing that bothers me is the grub screws that tighten down the coils strip the heads easily and I don't like the partition in the deck. BUT Crave still sells spare parts kits for a few bucks to solve the screw issue and they came out with a V2 deck so I could buy that and not have an issue with builds any longer.
    When I put in a little effort I could get as good or better performance off that than anything commercially coiled I had tried.
    It was just something that took up time I didn't want to spend.
    Remember when there were tanks with bottom fill? HELL NO! And I used to carry around a syringe with a large diameter needle I had dulled a bit with fine sandpaper and filled with juice to refill on the go as I was driving and testing cell sites all night sometimes 17 hour days.
    I think mesh will take off. I hope so I like it. I have not had the opportunity to give my honest opinion on the Themis yet for obvious reasons other than it seemed like if there was an issue it would be finding a way to wick it properly and once I have a non counterfeit one in hand the guys and Digitech are willing to help me on that one too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. madstabber

I’ve had it awhile and since I only use one or two mods it gets lots of use. I’ve gotten a mesh dry hit and it’s unpleasant, exactly like a dry hit with a wire coil. I don’t like any dry hits, they are all unpleasant. I’m sorry for your friend, if he had more experience he could have remedied the situation. I’ve tried some mesh factory coils as well and I’ve really liked some of them. I think mesh is here to stay and will continue to get better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.