Status
Not open for further replies.

PugLady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2012
Arnold Maryland
This is only my opinion, of course, but to me:

If a teenager decides s/he wants to inhale some "smoke", exhale some "smoke" and uses nicotine-0mg. e-juice...I think it would be much healthier for him/her to vape...rather than smoke...

On the other hand...

If a teenager decides s/he wants to inhale some "smoke", exhale some "smoke" and get a hit of nicotine...I (still) think it would be much healthier for him/her to vape...rather than smoke...

:2c:

I didn't say I had an opinion on them smoking one way or another. My response was to someone saying that there aren't many or enough never-smokers vaping to deem a study on the effects if vaping on never-smokers. Again, I gave NO opinion on how I feel about teens vaping nic, 0-nic or vaping at all in general. My post was only to validate that more n more never-smokers or likely short term smokers are now picking up vaping as its gaining more trend popularity all the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Friday information dump.

Measurements of electronic cigarette-generated particles for the evaluation of lung cancer risk of active and passive users
Measurements of electronic cigarette-generated particles for the evaluation of lung cancer risk of active and passive users - ScienceDirect

Overall meh as there's no identification of the e cig type but overall better than cigarettes and one fun factoid. 3D printers release more ultra fine particles into a room than the e cig tested. Doubt there will be a ban the 3D printers to save the children movement. Still it does provide a reasonable basis to conclude ultra fine particles won't be doing us in, at least based on current accepted levels of exposure as the amount found is well below that.

The New Dangers of Electronic Cigarettes

The New Dangers of Electronic Cigarettes - ScienceDirect

Behind a pay wall but trying to make an argument for higher asthma rates among teens who vape. As the article in unavailable and there is only the abstract to go by, hard to dispute or agree. There was also some ethnic background stuff that may have played an issue in that.

And from our very own Dr. F
Do flavouring compounds contribute to aldehyde emissions in e-cigarettes?
Do flavouring compounds contribute to aldehyde emissions in e-cigarettes?

Seems flavorings don't increase aldehydes in vapor.

Not a bad week for vaping.

Last edited:

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
He was arguing against the levels claimed by a specific study iirc
Yeah I know, but he has done a lot of that in the past imo. The big ole diketones saga he started was one for the ages.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I can't read it rn, is it legit?

Dunno?

But I'm sure those Pharmaceutical Companies were Happy with the Statistical Evaluation of the Results.

FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE: Dr Benowitz is a consultant to several pharmaceutical companies that market medications to aid smoking cessation and has served as a paid expert witness in litigation against tobacco companies. Drs Ramo and Rubinstein have consulted for Carrot Inc, which makes a tobacco cessation device; and Dr Delucchi has indicated he has no financial relationships relevant to this article to disclose.

FUNDING: Funded by National Institutes of Health (NIH) grants R21DA040718, P50 CA180890, P30 DA012393, S10 RR026437, and TRDRP 24XT-0007. Funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST: Dr Benowitz is a consultant to several pharmaceutical companies that market medications to aid smoking cessation and has served as a paid expert witness in litigation against tobacco companies. Drs Ramo and Rubinstein have consulted for Carrot Inc, which makes a tobacco cessation device; and Dr Delucchi has indicated he has no potential conflicts of interest to disclose.

https://us.vocuspr.com/Newsroom/Vie...chmentID=3b026982-97a7-4e43-8713-fef7106071c7

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
BTW - Check out the Data in this Table with regards to Acrolein...

Biomarkers_1.png

Check out the Median Acrolein amounts for the e-Cigarette Users verses the Control Group.

OK... But now look at the Interquartile Range for the e-Cigarette Users verses the Control Group. Notice how much Larger the IQR is for the Control Group?

Also look at the Range for e-Cigarette Users verses the Control Group.

I can see why the Median Value of Acrolein for e-Cigarette Users might seem Relatively High. Because there are Values far to the Right of the Median that is Pulling the Median to the Right.

CE4 Users?

LOL

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
BTW2 - Check Out the Differences in the Acrolein Ranges between e-Cigarette Users and Dual Users.

And how the Dual Users Range has a Lower Maximum Value than the Control Group has.

Does this Prove, Statically, that Dual Use is Safer than No Use at All?

:lol:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Here is One More little Gem. Then I'm done with this "Study".

"...

Other limitations of this study
include the fact that a wide range
of e-cigarette products were used
among participants, and thus, it may
be difficult to pinpoint variability in
toxicant exposure on the basis of the
self-reported product used. However,
this strengthens the external validity
of the study because it gives a more
real-world view of the toxicants
found from the e-cigarette products
commonly used by adolescents. ..."

It is Rare to see a Research Claim that a Limitation of their Study actually Strengthens their Studies Validity in some way.

But then again. Just about Anything goes at CSUSF when it comes to Bashing e-Cigarettes.

:headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread