New to RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundsystem00

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
Dallas
Hey guys. I have a pulse squonk and a Drop tank. I have yet to find any coils that I like. I have a few premade ones to choose one at my local shop, but they are huge and take forever to heat up. Even when they do heat up, the flavor is not that great and it eats a battery in literally a few hours.

I am disappointed with dripping and can't believe that I am getting better flavor thru my fireluke mesh tank. That being said, I know that I am not very experienced but I have tried multiple coils and I don't see why it should be that difficult.

Any options?

Thanks!

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I found that dual coils on a single battery mod never works at its best. I, personally, never could get the drop to work well either. A good condensed single coil rda give me much better flavor and eats up a whole lot less battery. Something like the nudge 22 works very well on the pulse for me. Great flavor and plenty of clouds to be satisfying. The wasp, entheon, and gr1 are also very good for single battery squonk mods.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I found that dual coils on a single battery mod never works at its best. I, personally, never could get the drop to work well either. A good condensed single coil rda give me much better flavor and eats up a whole lot less battery. Something like the nudge 22 works very well on the pulse for me. Great flavor and plenty of clouds to be satisfying. The wasp, entheon, and gr1 are also very good for single battery squonk mods.
To add to the list Zaryk provided above, the Recurve and the Asmodus C4.

I've run the Pulse 80w daily now for over two months. I rotate between the Nudge 22, Recurve and the C4.

The Nudge 22 is a great single coiler for squonking. Not sure why it doesn't get more attention. I have six of them in different colors. Very easy to build.

The Recurve gets more attention than the Nudge, but it's well deserved attention. Another great choice for a squonker. Coil positioning is almost hard to screw up if you use the included coil tool to cut the leg length. It drops right in at the correct height and all you need to do is center it.

In my opinion, single coilers are the way to go with a single battery mech or regulated mod if you don't want to be swapping batteries constantly.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
^ This!

For me, single cell mod, single coil atty. I find the Drop good but for me it needs at least Claptons in it to get good flavor. Two of those and it's going to cane batteries. If you really like the Drop (I find I need an airy RDA for some favours too) the Drop Solo might be the way to go. I know folks use the Drop in single coil mode but it's too big and airy for a single IMO.

Second the points about the Recurve and Nudge 22 too. Both good flavour wise but I like the Recurve airflow better, it's a bit more foolproof on coil placement too. Honestly I think a day 1 noob could build and get great flavor from a Recurve. Even works well with single micro coils but with a NiCr 80 Fralien (2*26 + 4*0.1/0.4 flat) it really is a flavour beast. Hard to believe it's just a single coil.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Useful

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I've been using the drop for a couple months now, but whatever i've used in it i never went towards complicated massive coils simple reason being the fact that ramp up and down are very long.

Right now i use Stainless wire (24 Awg) and i get incredible flavor with quick ramp up and pretty great battery life (still using 80 watts).

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I have a BF Killer single 18650 squonk mod with a TM24 PRO RDA. I use dual nichrome 80 rectangle wire coils. Excellent flavor and great clouds. I'll have to change the battery 1/2 way through an 11 hour shift. I personally don't like single coil RDAs but a single coil RDA would probably be better on a single battery mod.

P.S. for the Drop one thing you can try is using a single coil and install it from the under side of the posts. I'm only using the bottom 4 air holes this way. Just a thought.
20180719_215217.jpg
20180719_215240.jpg

Last edited:

Rex Everything

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2014
Tacoma
I have a BF Killer single 18650 squonk mod with a TM24 PRO RDA. I use dual nichrome 80 rectangle wire coils. Excellent flavor and great clouds. I'll have to change the battery 1/2 way through an 11 hour shift. I personally don't like single coil RDAs but a single coil RDA would probably be better on a single battery mod.

P.S. for the Drop one thing you can try is using a single coil and install it from the under side of the posts. I'm only using the bottom 4 air holes this way. Just a thought.
View attachment 755337 View attachment 755339
Don29 any reason that you dont flip the coil east/west (based on this photo) so it isn't as blocked by the posts? Just curious (don't use a Drop)

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Hey guys. I have a pulse squonk and a Drop tank. I have yet to find any coils that I like. I have a few premade ones to choose one at my local shop, but they are huge and take forever to heat up. Even when they do heat up, the flavor is not that great and it eats a battery in literally a few hours.

I am disappointed with dripping and can't believe that I am getting better flavor thru my fireluke mesh tank. That being said, I know that I am not very experienced but I have tried multiple coils and I don't see why it should be that difficult.

Any options?

Thanks!
It all comes down to wire mass whether you use single, dual, or more coils. What's the gauge of your premades?

Personally I use SS, more responsive and I'll run on my single battery Mech's I'll run dual 30x2/40 @ around 0.2Ω -0.22Ω. Very responsive, nice vape and it won't drain my batteries.

Again it's about wire mass

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Don29 any reason that you dont flip the coil east/west (based on this photo) so it isn't as blocked by the posts? Just curious (don't use a Drop)
That is the first time I've done a single coil on the Drop. I'm not a single coil guy at all. I've only seen it done like this before in a couple videos. Brian did it like that in one of the Drop Solo builds. It's up high enough off the deck for the bottom of 4 or 6 air holes on the aiflow to hit the coil. In those pictures the airflow comes in from the north/south. On the Drop you can't change where the airflow come in because the barrel is notched. I hope that makes sense.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
That is the first time I've done a single coil on the Drop. I'm not a single coil guy at all. I've only seen it done like this before in a couple videos. Brian did it like that in one of the Drop Solo builds. It's up high enough off the deck for the bottom of 4 or 6 air holes on the aiflow to hit the coil. In those pictures the airflow comes in from the north/south. On the Drop you can't change where the airflow come in because the barrel is notched. I hope that makes sense.

The Drop is one of those RDA's that can actually function to an optimal point in the build you created due to the stepped airflow progressing top to bottom. I'm not sure if some other atty's will have that feature.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
The Drop is one of those RDA's that can actually function to an optimal point in the build you created due to the stepped airflow progressing top to bottom. I'm not sure if some other atty's will have that feature.

Currently awaiting the Solo to arrive. I've used single coils on the Drop but find it a bit too airy for my liking. Love the airflow though (in stark contrast to the AF on the Peerless that I can't stand) so hopefully the Solo will be more optimised for it with single coils, should be given that's what it was designed for.

Last edited:

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Currently awaiting the Solo to arrive. I've used single coils on the Drop but find it a bit too airy for my liking. Love the airflow though (in stark contrast to the af on the Peerless that I can't stand) so hopefully the Solo will be more optimised for it with single coils, should be given that's what it was designed for.

I hazard a guess it would be. Digiflavour seem to do a good job of their atomiser designs. and The Vapour Chronicles has a fair idea of what an RDA needs.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
I hazard a guess it would be. Digiflavour seem to do a good job of their atomiser designs. and The Vapour Chronicles has a fair idea of what an RDA needs.

Indeed. My Drop is washed and boxed up in anticipation, can't wait to try the Solo, fairly confident it will find a slot in daily rotation given the Drop did.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Indeed. My Drop is washed and boxed up in anticipation, can't wait to try the Solo, fairly confident it will find a slot in daily rotation given the Drop did.

I'll be eager to hear your thoughts on it. Add it to the ever-growing list of things I want to have :p

Rex Everything

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2014
Tacoma
Ahhh...ok kinda what I thought....thanks for the response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread