Official complaint to the BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
That was a spoof? I was looking all over for the link, ROTFLMAO.

Hahahahahahahaha Thud!

(Sound of a woman laughing her head off.)

Thanks, JR. I take that as a very high compliment.

But I prefer to think of my "news" report as satire.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Rolygate:
Thanks for sending the complaint. I saw that story on Google News U.K. and thought to myself "oh great, we vapers really need this". The complaints will probably mean more if they come from people in the U.K. It's their money funding the BBC.

The guy was elderly and pretty sick. He's only been using the ecig a couple of weeks.
Maybe it was just his time to go.

Elderly! Watch your tongue, you young cookie-snatcher!

True the guy was pretty sick, but he was only 57. That used to spell "elderly" to me too, until I got old enough to qualify for Medicare. Now "elderly" is someone at least 80.

There is a little more information dug up by the good folks at the ECITA

"...the deceased gentleman had been using an ecig between October 2009 and June/July 2010. He stopped using the ecig after having respiratory problems, she said. He passed away in August last year."
http://ukvapers.com/blog/23/entry-156-bbc-look-north-28th-march-2011/

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Thanks for sending the complaint. I saw that story on Google News U.K. and thought to myself "oh great, we vapers really need this". The complaints will probably mean more if they come from people in the U.K. It's their money funding the BBC.

I don't think this is so - news is an international thing now, and the BBC management need to be made aware that extremely low standards of reporting will not do their reputation any good elsewhere in the world. The BBC does take a global view on many issues, they broadcast specifically to places nobody else does, in the native language, and they are generally thought of as being balanced and fair abroad, since you will hear unwholesome news about UK affairs on the BBC when such things would never be permitted in broadcasts from other states.

The utter tosh they broadcast in this news item does their reputation no good at all. The fact that they swallowed hook, line and sinker a tale of fantasy fed them by someone with a private agenda does not mitigate the fact they should never have passed that item for broadcast.

Have you seen that report and felt it was of low quality; or heard how poor it was? In that case your opinion is valid and should be communicated to the BBC as otherwise they will churn out more of the same. It affects you, so complain about it if you didn't like it. Or alternatively praise it, if you felt it was a reasonable presentation of all the pertinent facts. Up to you.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
There is proof that inhaling or ingesting oils can cause Exogenous lipoid pneumonia. This scared me, but I want more proof that this "oily residue" was infact from e-juice

Lipoid Pneumonia : Lipoid Pneumonia Causes

According to this, the reporter told ECITA that the official cause of death was interstitial lung disease.

BBC Look North 28th March 2011 - UK Vapers

And according to research, cigarette smoking is a major cause of interstitial lung disease.

Available evidence suggests most cases of desquamative interstitial pneumonia, respiratory bronchiolitis-associated interstitial lung disease, and pulmonary Langerhans' cell histiocytosis are caused by cigarette smoking in susceptible individuals.

Smoking-related interstitial lung diseases: a concise review

The story failed to mention the official cause of death, and instead focused on the lipoid pneumonia.

And, while there may be proof that inhaling oils can cause exogenous lipoid pneumonia, there is no evidence that the man actually did inhale oils. If he did inhale oils, was the source necessarily e-cigarettes, or was he using Vasoline or Vicks Vapo-Rub around his nose or in a humidifier? Using mineral oil based laxatives?

There is also no proof that the lipoid pneumonia was exogenous.

Also called cholesterol pneumonitis, endogenous lipoid pneumonia is caused by the collection of intrinsic lipids in the lungs. It is generally observed in persons with chronic bronchial obstruction similar to tumors or foreign bodies. Other risk factors include fat embolism, pulmonary alveolar proteinosis, lipid storage diseases such as Gaucher's disease and Niemann-Pick disease and disseminated lipogranulomatosis.

Lipoid Pneumonia : Lipoid Pneumonia Causes

And how many of those risk factors were ruled out by the coroner?

Last edited:

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio

True the guy was pretty sick, but he was only 57. That used to spell "elderly" to me too, until I got old enough to qualify for Medicare. Now "elderly" is someone at least 80.

"...the deceased gentleman had been using an ecig between October 2009 and June/July 2010. He stopped using the ecig after having respiratory problems, she said. He passed away in August last year."

Lol.
I saw the story at about 4:30am Monday and I SWEAR it said he was 71 and had only used the ecig 3 weeks.
I edited my original post after I saw the later stories.
Myself, after 35 years of smoking I seriously don't expect to see 55. I'm 51 now. Life expectancy for smokers in my family is not good. Mom died before 40, her brother 53.
After seeing so many posts about people in their 70s & 80s successfully making the switch to PVs I'm a little bit optimistic.
Glad you are in our corner Vocalek. Keep up the good work

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Lol.
I saw the story at about 4:30am Monday and I SWEAR it said he was 71 and had only used the ecig 3 weeks.
I edited my original post after I saw the later stories.
Myself, after 35 years of smoking I seriously don't expect to see 55. I'm 51 now. Life expectancy for smokers in my family is not good. Mom died before 40, her brother 53.
After seeing so many posts about people in their 70s & 80s successfully making the switch to PVs I'm a little bit optimistic.
Glad you are in our corner Vocalek. Keep up the good work

Glad you took my teasing good-naturedly.

Don't be so pessimisting about making 55. Now that you have discovered vaping, could could live to be 100! ;-)

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio
I don't think this is so - news is an international thing now, and the BBC management need to be made aware that extremely low standards of reporting will not do their reputation any good elsewhere in the world. The BBC does take a global view on many issues, they broadcast specifically to places nobody else does, in the native language, and they are generally thought of as being balanced and fair abroad, since you will hear unwholesome news about UK affairs on the BBC when such things would never be permitted in broadcasts from other states.

The utter tosh they broadcast in this news item does their reputation no good at all. The fact that they swallowed hook, line and sinker a tale of fantasy fed them by someone with a private agenda does not mitigate the fact they should never have passed that item for broadcast.

Have you seen that report and felt it was of low quality; or heard how poor it was? In that case your opinion is valid and should be communicated to the BBC as otherwise they will churn out more of the same. It affects you, so complain about it if you didn't like it. Or alternatively praise it, if you felt it was a reasonable presentation of all the pertinent facts. Up to you.

We have BBC News America here. Better than any of our national evening news broadcasts. It's recently been moved to PBS.
I watch the regular BBC News in the morning on BBC America when I wake up in the morning. I don't believe they ran that story.

I saw the youtube video and agree it was not accurate at all.
Someone who does D.I.Y juice needs to be filmed mixing up and vaping to show THERE'S NO FRIGGING OIL FOLKS.

PS. I will post a complaint as well.

Last edited:

vapz

Jun 23, 2009
Virginia
We have BBC News America here. Better than any of our national evening news broadcasts. It's recently been moved to PBS.
I watch the regular BBC News in the morning on BBC America when I wake up in the morning. I don't believe they ran that story.

I saw the youtube video and agree it was not accurate at all.
Someone who does D.I.Y juice needs to be filmed mixing up and vaping to show THERE'S NO FRIGGING OIL FOLKS.

PS. I will post a complaint as well.

Not that I believe this BBC story.. BUT... you say there are no oils. Just out of curiosity, when I ordered flavors and DIY kits back in the day, most of them came with PC (with nicotine) and "Lorann OILS" to use as the flavoring.

So wouldn't they be considered oils?

Just asking out of curiosity btw.

PlanetScribbles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
Londinium, Brittania

My dad died in 2000 aged 63, my mother died in 2002 aged 59. They were both heavy smokers.
57, to me, is just about par for the course for heavy smokers. He paid the price, but it wasn't e-cigs that caused it IMHO

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Not that I believe this BBC story.. BUT... you say there are no oils. Just out of curiosity, when I ordered flavors and DIY kits back in the day, most of them came with PC (with nicotine) and "Lorann OILS" to use as the flavoring.

So wouldn't they be considered oils?

Just asking out of curiosity btw.

Loran Oils is the name of a company that manufactures food flavorings, as well as essential oils to be used for aroma therapy. Most of the Loran food flavorings are PG based. Users have been warned from Day 1 when practicing DIY to not use flavors that are oil-based, because a) they will fry your atomizer and b) it probably is not a good idea to inhale vaporized oil.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Bear in mind that the flavoring makes up less than 20% of most e-liquids. If there are any oil-based flavors in there, they would have to be kept extremely low or it would destroy most atomizers. I'm not sure where i read it, but I heard he was vaping ECOpure, which is VG-based and claims it keeps unnecessary oils to a bare minimum.

When I googled "vegetable glycerin" it says it's vegetable oil-based. However, this article on lipoid pneumonia states that vegetable oils are "relatively innocuous." Its from 1955 though.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Yeah, there is.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...r-health-question-concerning-some-juices.html

But that doesn't mean that the oil caused his death.

I'm not a chemist but my basic understanding is that there is an important distinction between volatile oil (i.e. essential oils) and non volatile oils (for example vegetable oil, mineral oil). Volatile oils evaporate readily, and they make up scents, and are used in flavourings. According to this post I found by Nick O' Teen of Decadent Vapours (which is well worth a read) they are an essential part of most flavourings. They may be present in e-liquid but generally in very low quantities as they are extremely strong.

And my limited understanding of exogenous type lipoid pneumonia is that it has nothing to do with essential oils but is caused by inhalation of non volatile oils, e.g. fats, mineral oil or paraffin. These oils if they were present in e-liquid (which they should not be) will not vaporise, they will just burn. So "oil based flavourings" should be avoided in e-liquids. But thats not to say that the "water soluble" flavourings won't contain small quantities of essential oils. But if you have a flavouring where the base is oil rather than say, PG, it's not suitable to use.

Last edited:

Mike306

May 28, 2010
Denver, CO
...but it may not be a bad thing if premature death is the spark that ignites actual double-blind, peer-reviewed studies on the prolonged inhalation of concentrated, propylene glycol and/or vegetable glycerin vapor along with other additives.

Most studies on inhalation were either not concentrated or not prolonged. Additionally, I've found no studies involving the direct inhalation of the flavor additives in anything remotely close to what we do with our e-cigs.

I'm not one for biased reporting, but if such sensationalism generates enough interest from both sides, there are bound to be 3rd-party analyses done.

Bring e-cigs into public light and out will come those with opinions, which in turn will spawn those with conclusions drawn from research. Just look how much rudimentary research was generated in this thread, alone, all because of some unfounded statements made in a news report.

Just a thought.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread