Official Spin: Nicotine is more addictive than ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I'm constantly amazed that people can read all of the lies and misinformation about e-cigarettes, yet still buy into all of the misinformation about nicotine and addiction.

This was recently posted in the New Member forum & I had to respond:

Nobody wants to be put in the same group as a crack head or heroine addict..... but the truth hurts, Nicotine is "Harder" to kick then either one of those drugs... You'll find meeting halls everyday of the week filled with people attending NA and AA meetings who have kicked those addictions....But Nicotine? whooooa now, they aren't about to give up nicotine..... and your fighting pretty hard against it too......
Where did you hear that nicotine was "harder" to kick? From the news? From the anti-tobacco groups who want you to believe that?

First off, consider the original source - basically a press statement about a study that tested the "addictiveness" of different drugs and an anecdotal statement by a researcher who said that ''H-eroin addicts say it is easier to give up dope than it is to give up smoking." Based on their rankings, the numbers for factors such as withdrawl, intoxication, reinforcement, tolerence and dependence, nicotine supposedly had higher numbers.

See: Erowid Addiction Vaults : Media : 'Is Nicotine Addictive?'

Now, let's look at this a little closer. In both studies, nicotine was listed at the top, yet the ranking for h-eroin was actually HIGHER in all catagories, with the exception of "dependence." They based it on the "urge" to smoke.

First of all, how many people do you know of who are addicted to caffeine that even attempt to quit? The perception that it is harmless causes people to keep using it without reserve. So, how do you even compare that "urge" or attempts to quit, when most people don't even try?

Second, the other drugs tested are life-changing drugs. They have a serious, adverse affect on most addicted users, causing impared thinking, impulsive actions, poverty and legal ramifications. Compared to those, the vague threat of possibly dying a few years early or getting cancer is hardly motivational to quitting. And once an illicit drug user does quit their habit, their only crutch is the nicotine, making it even harder to quit.

But, is dependency really the greatest factor in determining addictiveness? What about the other four criteria, where nicotine was better than or close to caffeine and definitely better than h-eroin?

So, nicotine outranked h-eroin in one of five criteria and the media ran with it, conveniently ignoring the rest of the study.

Hmmm...sounds an awful lot like the FDA finding "anti-freeze" in our e-cigarettes, to me. Why are you still believing all of the bull .... they've been feeding you?

Comparing nicotine to h-eroin is simply a tactic to devalue people who use nicotine and get people behind their efforts to ban tobacco. It creates the image of a street addict - dirty, untrustworthy, criminal, almost "sub-human" and not worthy (in their minds) of sympathy or consideration. People who obviously cannot responsibly make their own decisions, so the choices must be made for them. It's pure spin!!

You say lets get real....Ok I'm with you.... Lets get real, enough of this I love my PV crap everyone post here everyday.... How are we supposed to get off these? I fear when these devices are illegal, we'll all be off cigarettes....well about as long as it takes us to get in the car and get to the store.....

First off, there are other smokeless options. Unless you've been fooled by the antis on this, as well, you'll know that snus and disolvables are nearly as effective as smoking - yet 98-99% safer - pretty much on par with e-cigarettes (and coffee) for health risks. So, an educated consumer knows that smoking is no longer the only option. If e-cigs were banned tomorrow and all destroyed, I'd switch to snus or something like Orbs - which are basically the same thing as Nicorette lozenges.

Secondly, how can people who have the plethora of information about nicotine available here and on CASAA still think nicotine use is any more dangerous than caffeine use? Are you planning to quit drinking coffee or soda, as well? Why are we expected to quit a nearly harmless consumption, when alcohol, sugar and caffeine are perfectly acceptable?

The danger of nicotine is that it makes people SMOKE. Remove the smoke and there is no reason to have to quit, unless you can't afford it.

I had a poster on an article ask me when I was going to quit vaping and I asked him, "Why should I?"

He said I was asking him a trick question. He said I should want to end any addiction and I should spend my money on more productive things.

I replied that I know people who spend $5 one or two times a day at Starbucks to feed their caffeine addiction and that e-cigs were a heck of a lot cheaper than that!

I also said addictions aren't always bad. A lot of people do things just to make them feel good and spend a lot of money on it. People go skiing, skydiving, race cars, build model trains, buy expensive goods, eat at fancy restaurants, buy designer shoes - all things that would bring me no great pleasure and I can't see spending money on it.

I enjoy vaping. I enjoy it even more than I enjoyed smoking - which I did. It makes me feel good, it tastes good, it keeps me from snacking all the time (my mother is morbidly obese because of an eating disorder - she's basically addicted to food, because she uses it to relieve her depression and I didn't want to turn out like that,) it relieves stress, gives me a short break, helps me focus and as long as I can afford it, I'm going to keep doing it.

We all want to get together on this forum and sing Kum-ba-ya together and yell we are free from cigarettes, but who are we fooling? We aren't addressing any of the addictions with an e-cig. still getting our nicotine "fix" still getting to pretend we are smoking a cig, Hell we even get to blow out big plumes of smoke...oops sorry vapor.... we are kidding ourselves...

As soon as this is pointed out then we rationalize ( I love reading fellow addicts rationalizing their addiction) we've found a safer way.... I'm not a smoker.... well give up your PV and see how long that last.... I admit, I'll be the guy in line in front of you at the convenience store buying a pack of marlboros..... Eye's wide shut..... it's not just the anti-vaping community that suffers from this....

Again, fooled by what the authorities tell you about addiction. Since the 80's, addiction has gone from being defined as something that people can't live without (whether good or bad) to being inherently BAD.

What is wrong with being addicted to something, so long as the benefits outweigh the detriments?

You can be addicted exercising. You have a morning workout and without it, you feel bad all day, get cranky and can't focus. So, that morning run addiction benefits you. It could go the other way for some people. It's so compulsive that they ignore other aspects of their life and that exercise becomes obsessive - it turns into an all day activity. They lose too much weight, they spend hours from their family, they buy expensive equipment - it ends up having a negative impact. In that case, the addiction turns bad.

The same could be said about vapers who become obsessive about equipment, liquid, mods or forums. Even vaping could turn into a bad addiction for some people.

My nicotine use has the same effect as the exercising for others and while exercising would have an overall better impact on my health, I have no desire to do it to that extent - meaning, without nicotine, I wouldn't likely be found exercising, either. I'd probably eat copious amounts of chocolate and drink more caffeine! LOL

But, since vaping keeps me from smoking, is cheaper and doesn't harm me or those around me - the benefits outweigh the detriments. (Other than my hubby probably wishes I wasn't spending so much time on e-cig advocacy, although I've managed to keep it from disturbing our family time now.)

My nicotine addiction - now that it is smokeless - has a largely positive impact on my life and sense of well-being and I see no reason to give that up. Since I'm on such low mgs anyhow, it would be a breeze to drop it completely, but the truth is - I don't want to and now I don't have to. And why should I be expected to - just because it's "an addiction?" Again - who cares, so long as it's not hurting me or anyone else?? How is this addiction bad when the positives outweigh the negatives??

Chances are, anyone who gives up nicotine completely will find something else that fills that pleasure void. I only hope it's another positive addiction and not one that is as bad as smoking.

Last edited:

CtryBoy

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Texas
Now if logic only worked on the FDA and other people who cant be bothered with facts.

Well thought out response, just hope it's not falling on deaf ears. Seems like there are only two options when debating any topic these days. You are either preaching to the choir or your words fall on deaf ears. Maybe when the incumbents find themselves kicked to the curb, their replacements will care a little more about what the government is doing to the public. But our problem will be the idiots still working for the FDA.

lmrasch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
Oregon
I never even bothered to check the facts. Good on you for debunking urban myth.

.....Now if you could just throw some nicotine into my vegetables, that'd be awesome :D

Here ya go....:D DONE! You can thank me later, lol

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Nicotine in Vegetables
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Dr. Norman F. Childers[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Sans-Serif][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]
If you spend three hours in a room with minimal tobacco smoke, you get about the same amount amount of nicotine in 5 oz. of potatoes, 8 1/2 oz. ripe tomatoes, 9 1/2 oz. cauliflower, and 1/3 oz. eggplant. Cooking decreases some of the nicotine. These results are appearing in medical journals (e.g. The New England Journal of Medicine) from the experimental laboratories of Dr. Edward Domino, University of Michigan and colleagues. Extensive research is needed with the food nightshades to determine the culprits causing the subtle deteriorating effects on the human body as well as livestock. The horticulturalists need to study the possibility of "breeding down or out" the poisonous culprits in the highly popular and addicting food nightshades.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

the_antisheep

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2010
CO
Here ya go....:D DONE! You can thank me later, lol

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Nicotine in Vegetables
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Dr. Norman F. Childers[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Sans-Serif][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]
If you spend three hours in a room with minimal tobacco smoke, you get about the same amount amount of nicotine in 5 oz. of potatoes, 8 1/2 oz. ripe tomatoes, 9 1/2 oz. cauliflower, and 1/3 oz. eggplant. Cooking decreases some of the nicotine. These results are appearing in medical journals (e.g. The New England Journal of Medicine) from the experimental laboratories of Dr. Edward Domino, University of Michigan and colleagues. Extensive research is needed with the food nightshades to determine the culprits causing the subtle deteriorating effects on the human body as well as livestock. The horticulturalists need to study the possibility of "breeding down or out" the poisonous culprits in the highly popular and addicting food nightshades.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I have seen this before, but had long since forgotten.

This gives me an idea... If we could separate the nicotine from the nightshade family, then we would have an herbal extract that was no longer a tobacco product. Would it be feasible? I supposed that depends on whether the produce utilized was cheaper than tobacco, and whether quantities great enough could be produced from a reasonably sized batch.

Cyia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2010
Independence, Missouri
Well said, and it needs to be said. Common sense and common logic are really all you need to answer the anti questions. I love how society labels what is good and bad. Nicotine gets a BAD rep because it is associated with tar, second hand smoke, cancer, and many other health problems. Real cigs cause lots of people to die. So people in turn think nicotine is bad regardless whether it's in raw form or in a juice or in a real cig. People like to generalize and that's why there are so many who thumbs down it. Caffeine, while just as bad and deadly if ingested in high amounts is given a thumbs up but society. Why? how many deaths have you seen that rank as high as "nicotine" related deaths? I don't see fliers being passed out telling me to stop drinking my mt dew cause people die from it. So society says ok that's allowed. Which in all honesty, specially dark pop like coke and pepsi, when consumed everyday relentlessly it can cause kidney failure and you can die. I have a very good friend who learned her lesson about that. Another day and in bed and she would of passed on. She drank so much diet coke it almost killed her. But do you see people freaking out about it? Nope.

Base line which common sense should tell you this: Anything in a large amount that has been proven to kill you in large doses is bad. It's up to the individual to know better. And the generalizations made by these anti-well anything people, they don't use common sense, they like to point that well trained finger and blame the masses for doing something that is perfectly ok and OUR choice! I have always told my husband I like smoking, I have no desire to quit. And I'm very glad I found a alternative to my moderate habit! it no longer harms anyone, and I use common sense when using it. To all those anti-whatever you feel like point your finger at: here is my middle finger and have a good day!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Now if logic only worked on the FDA and other people who cant be bothered with facts.

Well thought out response, just hope it's not falling on deaf ears. Seems like there are only two options when debating any topic these days. You are either preaching to the choir or your words fall on deaf ears. Maybe when the incumbents find themselves kicked to the curb, their replacements will care a little more about what the government is doing to the public. But our problem will be the idiots still working for the FDA.
What's sad is when my comments are directed at another vaper on ECF. I'm trying to give him/her a little slack, since it was posted in the newb forums, but people have to stop focusing on their own little space. For people to sit here and read about what the FDA & antis said about e-cigs, know that they lied or deliberately misrepresented and then to quote statements like "nicotine is more addictive than h-eroin" without checking the facts - that's the people who SHOULD be the choir being as bad as the ninnies who quote the FDA when arguing against e-cigs!

THINK PEOPLE!!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org

Cyia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2010
Independence, Missouri
The problem is that I wasn't answering an anti - it was a vaper right here on ECF saying these things! Unfortunately, I can't post in the New Member forum or I would have posted it there: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...rticle-calling-e-cigs-scam-2.html#post1816039 :(

Makes sense and sadly you will get the people who do the habit and still point the fingers. My opinion to them: When you can quit the habit without ever going back to it, please feel free to PM me and I'll join you

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I FOR ONE am here to say that Nicotine is harder to kick. I know this from personal experience.

Nicotine effects the same area of the brain that the white powder from Colombia does. But, with nicotine the user can have a endless supple to get super hooked on it.
Sure, but is it harder to kick because it's WORSE than h-eroin or other factors? Because the antis use the term "addicted" to mean inherently "bad" and if nicotine is "more addictive" then it's somehow worse than h-erion.

See the insideous way they are getting people to hate nicotine and even make people hate themselves for being "addicts?"

There are a lot of factors why nicotine is harder for people. One you named - accessibility.

Others I mentioned in my post. If someone has already quit h-eroin, how motivated will they be to also quit smoking? How much more would they need the benefits from nicotine's effects?

How many more addicts actually quit their nicotine use vs. h-eroin addicts that quit? did they even look at that? what percentage of nicotine addicts quit vs. percentage of h-eroin addicts that quit?

How many more smokers are there vs. h-eroin addicts?

How about the lack of motivation to quit nicotine - motivation is a huge factor in quitting any addiction. How motivated are nicotine users vs. h-eroin addicts? A h-eroin addict is living on the streets, risking aids, prostituting, stealing, alientating their friends and family, etc. a nicotine addict faces "increased risk" of cancer, heart disease and emphysema.

Compard to all the misery of being a h-eroin addict, the intangible risks of smoking pale in comparison. a h-eroin addict who has made the decision to quit has a lot more at stake and usually is living a miserable life at the time they decide to quit. Most smokers attempt to quit while they are still healthy and usually happy.

So, there are a lot of other reasons why the dependence would be there. We have to be careful of adding fuel to the antis fire by quoting their soundbites meant to scare people, just as the anti-freeze comment was used to scare people from e-cigs.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Makes sense and sadly you will get the people who do the habit and still point the fingers. My opinion to them: When you can quit the habit without ever going back to it, please feel free to PM me and I'll join you
Again - why? Why should you quit, unless you can't afford it financially?

If someone said, "I quit eating chicken and you should, too" what would you say?

Why should you give up something that doesn't cause you any harm or any harm to those around you?

I like chicken! If you want to quit, be my guest!

DaMulta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
T-Town Oklahoma
Now when you are saying H and Nicotine it's two different things. One, you can die if you just quit using H, but with nicotine you are going to have some really bad withdraws. Some that will ravel quitting other hard drugs in the same nature that may not be nesserally H.

I can see were some would call the E-Cig the same as someones methodome to help them kick the habit at some point. And methodome is used in more areas than just H.

Cyia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2010
Independence, Missouri

If someone said, "I quit eating chicken and you should, too" what would you say?

Why should you give up something that doesn't cause you any harm or any harm to those around you?

I like chicken! If you want to quit, be my guest!

It's not the fact of wanting to quit honestly, it's more of if someone can conquer that amazing feet of habit and all I'd be happy to join them in that victory. A habit regardless if it's bad or good is still a habit and they are hard to quit. I used to suck my thumb. Didn't ruin my teeth, didn't harm anyone, but it was a habit none the less. I am proud to say I don't do it anymore. Took me 16 years to stop but i did LOL It's a personal feat so to speak. I didn't want to quit really, but the habit had to go in my opinion. The hand to mouth habit is comforting, relaxing to me. But I don't want to be sucking on something the rest of my life to comfort me whether it's my thumb or my metal drip tip. Plus I've seen some old ladies and their lines around their mouths scare me from smoking for so long sucking on something. the draw lines as they call it. i dont know if i want those around my mouth when I'm 80 LOL so some day eventually cutting the habit all together would be a nice thing. Do i plan on doing it immediately? no. someday down the road? sure.

JustKryssi

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Dirty Jerz

I can answer this from my own experience. Some of us have to be in looooong boring meetings where we can't just step out when we please to stealth vape in the restroom. I've held it in for so long some days, my bladder was about to burst and my head was pounding from lack of nicotine. So I decided to drop it down to 0mg when I found vaping.

Funny though, those headaches only lasted about 3 days and then the fog cleared.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

CtryBoy

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Texas
Everything in moderation and too each his own.

That's what I believe the PV's secret to success is. Once you're free of the smoke, you have a lot more control over how much nicotine you get. Get enough, easy to quit. Get too much, cut back. Want to quit. Slowly lower the levels with backup if neccessary and AT YOUR OWN PACE.

OF course this is why no one could possibly approve these things. Self medication of any kind is frowned upon and nicotine apparently ranks as high as any other drug to these types. No way, we gotta save the children, smokers can just die if they cant quit.

brandon555

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2010
Wisconsin
Now when you are saying H and Nicotine it's two different things. One, you can die if you just quit using H, but with nicotine you are going to have some really bad withdraws. Some that will ravel quitting other hard drugs in the same nature that may not be nesserally H.

I can see were some would call the E-Cig the same as someones methodome to help them kick the habit at some point. And methodome is used in more areas than just H.

H withdrawal in and of itself isn't really fatal. Its the dehydration and malnutrition that usually does someone in. Usually people that are in poor health to begin with.

However withdrawal from benzodiazepines can be fatal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread