Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Time between not wanting to get one because of the batteries and actually getting one: 36 minutes :)
You have pretty good will power, it usually takes me less time than that to give up. Course, that 36 minutes probably included shopping time.
Yes, and watching the 10-minute video review. The battery is a non-issue since it's coming from Amazon, and this particular model uses an easy-to-find 2032 battery. Decided to buy just one when really I need two for trombone slide repair, but I'll wait and make sure it fits the bill before getting a second one.

In other news, the #2 and #3 Delrin drip tips that I bought from Kidney Puncher are myeh. Too short for my liking. My lips bump up against the metal receiver on my clearos. They're also smaller in outside diameter than I had hoped.

In more nother news, the counterfeit BVCs for the Aspire nautilus that I bought from 101vape are usable and produce good flavor and vapor, but they don't last as long as the real McCoys. I just replaced one of those coils that developed a burnt flavor just 3 or 4 days after I installed it. Glad I only bought one 5-pack of those. I took advantage last night of MFS's 40% off sale and ordered 2 more 5-packs of the genuine Aspire BVCs.

Last edited:

PapaSloth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2014
Portland, OR, USA
Oh I have "real" mikes and calipers. Just thot this was neat when I first saw one. Turned out... not so neat. :)

Well, I got my digital calipers shipped direct from China off of eBay a couple of years ago, for about $4.00, and I think they were a pretty good buy. I was talking about the Harbor Freight batteries, though. I think it's these:
Harbor Freight SR44 batteries
Those are the replacement batteries for the digital calipers.

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Well, I got my digital calipers shipped direct from China off of eBay a couple of years ago, for about $4.00, and I think they were a pretty good buy. I was talking about the Harbor Freight batteries, though. I think it's these:
Harbor Freight SR44 batteries
Those are the replacement batteries for the digital calipers.
I'll never again order anything from Fasttech that contains a battery. The chances of it arriving in the States are very much reduced for about the past year now, due to shipping regulations and Fasttech's constant efforts to sneak things past those regulations.

Also, wanted to let you know, PapaSloth, that 2legs is not a newcomer to the porches.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Yep Mekc I can tell when it needs rewicking because I start getting a little juice in my mouth. I use a 2.4mm screwdriver at 9 wraps and get 1.6ohms. I have thought about using the 2mm one which I also got in my handy dandy micro screwdriver set from Radio Shack but wondering about having enough wick in there. Plus I have noticed that the Kanthal I got from Vaperev has less resistance then the stuff I got somewhere else. Looks a little different too, not thicker but maybe a better quality. I mentioned this next part on the back door, I got an email from Vaperev they are going to start carrrying a mech with a tank style dripper called I think Carravella or something like that. Solid Silver $2700 Solid Gold by special order 30,000 Euro. Any takers??? It is really pretty check it out at Vaperev.com

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
You mean a dial caliper...

Yepper. I sit corrected.
dunce.gif

Because this switches from inches to mm with a push of a button? Yeah, that's it.

That's a handy feature. My Lyman case has a nice conversion chart inside da upper lid. Good nuff fer moi (thus far).

At least da coil jig I linked doesn't use a batt and it's cheaper than da caliper...
mock.gif

Last edited:

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Yep Mekc I can tell when it needs rewicking because I start getting a little juice in my mouth. I use a 2.4mm screwdriver at 9 wraps and get 1.6ohms. I have thought about using the 2mm one which I also got in my handy dandy micro screwdriver set from Radio Shack but wondering about having enough wick in there. Plus I have noticed that the Kanthal I got from Vaperev has less resistance then the stuff I got somewhere else. Looks a little different too, not thicker but maybe a better quality. I mentioned this next part on the back door, I got an email from Vaperev they are going to start carrrying a mech with a tank style dripper called I think Carravella or something like that. Solid Silver $2700 Solid Gold by special order 30,000 Euro. Any takers??? It is really pretty check it out at Vaperev.com
You've mentioned Vaperev before so I just visited the site. He's bumped up the price on the Solid Silver Caravela just a tad, to $4300. Fortunately he's out of stock. I got out of there before the stuffy air asphyxiated me.... not my kind of place.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
To all Kayfun or Kayfun type device users. I know this question has been asked before but don't want to try to find it. I use a Kayfun Lite Plus with a simple single micro coil and cellucotton. Do you have a certain time limit on your coils. I have found myself being lazy and just burning off the old coil and rewicking after washing and drying it. How often to you put a new coil in if the old one is still working. I have never had one go bad but I have found myself wrapping a new coil just because. What do you think? Rewick 3 times 4 or more or just keep using the old one. Probably a dumb question but I would like to know what others think Oh I might add I wrap normally with 28AWG Kanthal to 1.6 ohms and vape at about 3.5 to 3.7v..

Uh, when I get bored :)

I tend to use 30 in my KFs, wrapped on a 2 mm shaft and wicked with rayon. While not as mechanically strong as 28, I prefer the slightly quicker time to heat. And generally just recoil if I want to try a different coil ( or did and didn't like it! :laugh:) or if I get clumsy snipping out a dead wick and distort the coil.

Personally, I don't taste the dry burned coil either, but of course we all have our own allotment of taste buds!

Going to a larger diameter coil provides a greater amount of contact area between the coil and the juice, and shouldn't take long to "learn" the new wick amount, since you already know what it should feel like :)

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
Do you have a certain time limit on your coils. I have found myself being lazy and just burning off the old coil and rewicking after washing and drying it.

When I get a pile that need to be rewicked, I dry burn the coil, check to see that they heat from the center out, check the resistance, (which drops as they get clean), and if everything is ok, I rewick it.
I don't even wash it, ... just dry burn, blowing the ash off, a few times until it's clean ...done, ready for a new wick.
Sure makes the wire supply last longer. :p
PS, I have been known to take a soft toothbrush to it gently to help get gunk off, but I quit using the juices that caused that.
The coils can last a long time before you have to replace them.

Last edited:

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
Whatever you do, don't get one of these:
FastTech: 6" Digital Caliper
You'll find you can't live without it, and you'll go around measuring everything. Then you'll need to buy replacement batteries. It never ends.

You can get one cheaper and almost exactly the same at Harbor Freight. But, your right, I couldn't put the darn thing down when I first gor it! :)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 Android phone on a keyboard that waaayyy too small (or my thumbs are waaayyy too big).

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
Yeah got one of those years ago. Problem is every time I go to use it... dead batts. And they're watch batteries so fun to find.

You can get a big old card if them at HF as well. Probably can tell I am a HF fan.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 Android phone on a keyboard that waaayyy too small (or my thumbs are waaayyy too big).

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
To all Kayfun or Kayfun type device users. I know this question has been asked before but don't want to try to find it. I use a Kayfun Lite Plus with a simple single micro coil and cellucotton. Do you have a certain time limit on your coils. I have found myself being lazy and just burning off the old coil and rewicking after washing and drying it. How often to you put a new coil in if the old one is still working. I have never had one go bad but I have found myself wrapping a new coil just because. What do you think? Rewick 3 times 4 or more or just keep using the old one. Probably a dumb question but I would like to know what others think Oh I might add I wrap normally with 28AWG Kanthal to 1.6 ohms and vape at about 3.5 to 3.7v..

I replace mine when they burn out or can't be cleaned to my liking. Like affecting the taste, although I have never noticed a dry burned and cleaned coil doing that. Theoretically you could get by never replacing it if you keep it clean.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
You've mentioned Vaperev before so I just visited the site. He's bumped up the price on the Solid Silver Caravela just a tad, to $4300. Fortunately he's out of stock. I got out of there before the stuffy air asphyxiated me.... not my kind of place.

Why one earth would anyone spend that kind of money on vape gear. It's just crazy to me. I like shiny but jeez!

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Ah ha, I'm not da only semi-Luddite!
toothy.gif

And on behalf of all three of us..

GET OFF OUR LAWN, YOU HOOLIGANS!!!

But more vape related, I've put three wicks I to this darned tank. Store-bought and redone... I keep getting dry hits from my sweet tart.. Think I need to add a couple drops of water or maybe PG to thin it down? My last batch didn't do this.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I am still learning how to run this Orchid. The video showed the wicks being pushed into the air holes. So I laid a flavor wick on top of the deck, pushing the ends of that into the air holes. Mine didn't have a refill hole on the bottom, and I have discovered that all I have to do to refill it is unscrew the base, hold the top-- plugging the chimney hole with a finger, fill it half-way, replace the base, and ready-to go, and, of course, no longer any leaking through the airholes.

Lots of wasted juice until I discovered that.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
WOW bigbells 4300 bucks. The only reason I got anything from them is it is one of the few places you could get a real Kayfun Lite Plus. That is all I have ever bought there except for 100' of Kanthal and some repair kits for my Kayfuns. He has some pretty high end (high Priced) stuff. Some really beautiful stuff but I figure he is in a place where there are a lot of people with a lot of money. My next one is going to be a clone I think. Still not sure which one. If you read the reviews on any some people think they are better then sliced bread others say they are the worst thing they have ever bought. The EH Pro seems like a good one but don't know. I sure like my Kayfuns though. Are there any other rebuildables that are as easy as the Kayfun style and work as well?? I have looked at the Russian and it is about the same price but Kidney Puncher has them and some others too. They have been really good to me on other things. I really like the Nautilus with the new BVC heads. What a difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread