Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
Or does it stop firing altogether. If it works with the chimney off it sounds like it might be shorting somehow with the chimney. I don't get it. I bet you don't either. You don't get any display on the screen? When it happens

When it goes bad there is so little vapor can't really tell if its hot or cold.

Well this one is still going good. So far no after fire sizzle and no vapor.
Turning up the watts on this one does start to get harsh , unlike before where even turning up the watts just got very little vapor.

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
When Wolfy talks about hearing the coil still firing after letting off the battery button, I know exactly what he's talking about. Whenever mine does it, that's when the dry hits start. I'm starting to wonder if it's the coils I'm building instead of the wicks. Not fooling with it tonight anyway. I know the doge will work and that's good because I just got another shipment from "Buck Wilderness".

VW%203%2020_zpstd6ue1zz.jpg~original

Most of this is Max VG from VW with a couple from local stores. Got the big bottle of Green Apple Envy in 0mg nic just to vape for fun. I love me some GAE. :vapor:

For my one has to be the wicking. Got the same build in the lemo and its been fine.

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
You get sizzling because the coil has a lot of wire and the wire is getting hot. Then, it takes a while to cool off after you've removed the power. Try this: let go of the the power button a few seconds before you stop drawing on the coil (that is, you should still be drawing when the coil is sizzling). That way, you're drawing off all of the vapor that the coil produces instead of letting the juice get overheated because the coil is still hot. It's the juice getting overheated that kills the flavor. Also, the vapor is wispy and tasteless both because you're starting your draw before the coil gets hot enough, and also because the juice on the wick was overheated from the previous draw.

The fix is to either to start the draw a second or two after you press the power button and to continue to draw for a few seconds after you let go of the button, OR to build a smaller coil with less wire (like 6 wraps of 30 gauge at 2.5mm instead of 10 wraps of 24 gauge at 3mm.).

I would have thought that yet I use the lemo with the same build in it the same way and its fine. Perhaps smaller chamber making a difference, although it was the same when i had a build in it that was two wraps less.

PapaSloth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2014
Portland, OR, USA
I would have thought that yet I use the lemo with the same build in it the same way and its fine. Perhaps smaller chamber making a difference, although it was the same when i had a build in it that was two wraps less.

The wicking, chamber, and airflow will all affect how hot the coil gets as well. So, it's easy to believe that a coil in one device would get hot enough to sizzle the juice for a few seconds after the power is cut while the exact same coil in a different device doesn't.

Darryl Licht

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
So Cal
Sigelei 100w its 0.9Ω this one is going better than the others.
17-23watts. 25 watts it gets harsh which is a good thing for this, I get harsh , better than air vapor and still wet wick that i don't get.

I think your issue is that coil is just too much mass! It should take a good long time to heat and cool, thus the sizzle after you release the button. Get a smaller diameter wire and try a 2.5mm mandrel.

Use Steam Engine to compare builds: Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
I think your issue is that coil is just too much mass! It should take a good long time to heat and cool, thus the sizzle after you release the button. Get a smaller diameter wire and try a 2.5mm mandrel.

Use Steam Engine to compare builds: Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

I have before done builds with less wraps and same results. Just seems for my one I need some exact wicking thickness,density,shape combo.

umanbean

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2009
Georgia, USA
On this, my first and only so far, Mini RBA build... I used the factory coil (measures 0.6Ω on the iStick) and KGD wick. The cotton is genuine KGD, not the cotton that came with the unit, as if that makes any difference. Contrary to what I've read about the KFL, I stuffed as much cotton in as possible, then fluffed it and cut it just long enough to touch the deck when dry (and I figure once wet, it droops a little)... and cut at a ~45 degree angle so that all the ends touch the deck equally when bent over. Put the 'combustion chamber sleeve" part on, wet the wick/coil and moved the cotton away from the weep holes with a hatpin. Put the chimney top on, then put a touch of eliquid on the outside of each weep hole, to sort of 'prime' it. Put it together, filled it up, and it's been working like a champ for over a week now... somewhere between 20 and 30 refills, at least.

Oh, and I put 20ml of 50/50 10mg./ml. premix in a 30ml. bottle, then fill it the rest of the way with straight VG. By my calcs, that makes it 33.33pg/66.67vg @ 6.67mg./ml. And this thing has so much horsepower, that still irritates my throat by the end of the day... I'll be adjusting nic down/VG up some more, soon. (So, in only 3-4 weeks, I've effectively doubled the longevity of my nic stash :D)

Also, I'm not a watt-chaser... don't like high watts at all, don't see any rhyme or reason for it. First thing in the morning I want a gentle vape, so I turn the power down to ~8w and the air down to the two-holes position... then slowly increase power and air, until about my third cup of coffee the air is wide open and watts=13 or so... and there it stays all day.

I figure the factory coil in it now and the spare that came with it will last me at least a couple of months, but when it's time to make one, I'll be making it exactly like the factory ones.

Factory coil specs:

28ga (0.013", 0.33mm)
5 wraps
ID= 3/32" (2.38mm, 0.0938")

I'm thinking the Kanger R&D department has the resources to engineer all the specs just right, so who am I to mess around with a good thing?

Hope everyone has a great weekend... I have to fix my tractor today, so might not be around much. But will see y'all in the a.m.

I'm outta here... byyyyyye now. :vapor:

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida

Also, I'm not a watt-chaser... don't like high watts at all, don't see any rhyme or reason for it. First thing in the morning I want a gentle vape, so I turn the power down to ~8w and the air down to the two-holes position... then slowly increase power and air, until about my third cup of coffee the air is wide open and watts=13 or so... and there it stays all day.
See. Different things for different people. So far, on my various devices, I have not gotten over 7 watts. I go as little as 5.5 sometimes too.
I like a nice cool vape.

Metal Storm

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2015
Mid TN USA
I talked to mom this morning. She is still using the tanks / battery I gave her. Says she does better with it some days than others. She did say her last pack of smokes lasted over two days so she's cut back a lot. She likes the unflavored juice but I'm not sure she's using it enough to get the nic she needs to take cigs off her mind. She said she has the hardest time after meals and when the phone rings. That's when she wants to smoke the most.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida

There's a vape shop next door to the pizza place. Couldn't resist going in. Came out with...

PV_zpsudg4sibu.jpg~original

Another toy to play with! I call it a "Clone Veil". When I first came to the Porch, I said I wouldn't buy much gear. :facepalm:

Forget that. It's a fine Saturday so far.
The best laid plans of mice and all.

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
On this, my first and only so far, Mini RBA build... I used the factory coil (measures 0.6Ω on the iStick) and KGD wick. The cotton is genuine KGD, not the cotton that came with the unit, as if that makes any difference. Contrary to what I've read about the KFL, I stuffed as much cotton in as possible, then fluffed it and cut it just long enough to touch the deck when dry (and I figure once wet, it droops a little)... and cut at a ~45 degree angle so that all the ends touch the deck equally when bent over. Put the 'combustion chamber sleeve" part on, wet the wick/coil and moved the cotton away from the weep holes with a hatpin. Put the chimney top on, then put a touch of eliquid on the outside of each weep hole, to sort of 'prime' it. Put it together, filled it up, and it's been working like a champ for over a week now... somewhere between 20 and 30 refills, at least.

Oh, and I put 20ml of 50/50 10mg./ml. premix in a 30ml. bottle, then fill it the rest of the way with straight VG. By my calcs, that makes it 33.33pg/66.67vg @ 6.67mg./ml. And this thing has so much horsepower, that still irritates my throat by the end of the day... I'll be adjusting nic down/VG up some more, soon. (So, in only 3-4 weeks, I've effectively doubled the longevity of my nic stash :D)

I figure the factory coil in it now and the spare that came with it will last me at least a couple of months, but when it's time to make one, I'll be making it exactly like the factory ones.

Factory coil specs:

28ga (0.013", 0.33mm)
5 wraps
ID= 3/32" (2.38mm, 0.0938")

I'm thinking the Kanger R&D department has the resources to engineer all the specs just right, so who am I to mess around with a good thing?

Hope everyone has a great weekend... I have to fix my tractor today, so might not be around much. But will see y'all in the a.m.

I'm outta here... byyyyyye now. :vapor:

Are both the 0.5 & 1Ω OCC the same coil ?
Don't know which one I measured but sure looked like it was 3mm in diameter.
Strange Japan would have an imperial measurement when they're metric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread