Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Made a test batch of what I'm calling 'Pistachio Latte'. Shows some promise but is going to need some serious tweaking to have a chance with me.

Will probably try the CF Green Lush next... but don't think it has any chance at all from my first tongue bump with it.

I'm not highly interested in the BCR/CCI, but I'll eventually get to it.

So far I'm thinking my version of 'Lime Lucky' has the best chance for my tastes. So I will devote a lot more effort to it. :thumb:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
OK, so I got back into it some in the wee hours of the last couple of nights, and I've mixed new test batches of...

Lucky Shot... solo (steeping).

Lucky Latte... solo (steeping).

Pistachio Latte... with a little more tweaking I think I can live with this one.

Pistachio Light Cream... needs more something, it's way too mild for me.

Lime Lucky... I upped the lime 50%, now it's easily the best of the new concoctions so far. I'll get another bottle of FA Cold Pressed Lime Tahiti coming (I'm out, so only had TFA Key Lime to use). The CPLT should seal the deal on this one.

CF Green Lush... To paraphrase the age old San Bernardino Valley Girls speak - 'gag me with a spoon'.

BCR... this is a stretch for me, but maybe with a steep I can figure out something to help this one work. It's much different than anything else I vape, so maybe.

Had to drag some of my no longer used mods/atty's out of mothballs to test run them in. So now my computer desk is somewhat cluttered with them and their joose. Still way better than when I had the majority of around 100 mods/2X atty's and countless DIY joose out and in service. But nothing ventured, nothing gained, and it filled in some otherwise useless hours.

I have seven other new to me flavors on the list to buy (so far), but will have to get them from two sources as neither has them all (OSDIY and BCF). I'm confident enough with some of them to get the 120ml bottles, the rest will just be 30's.

Running this thread/doing some new DIY again has relighted a small flame in my vaping (I was VERY close to just tossing all of everything vape related I have in the trash). But after this flurry I'll back off some again. I don't want/need hundreds more new recipes now that my daily/nightly joose usage (that was legendary) has been nowhere near what it used to be ever since my interest in vaping waned.

Have a new mesh rda due tomorrow to try out - Wotofo Profile (mesh squonk RDA's is my thing now days); and have some 1 liter VG & a liter of PG to add to my reserves on the way.

AFN

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Looks like you're having some fun with your testing and finding out a bunch of useful info, too.

I have seven other new to me flavors on the list to buy (so far), but will have to get them from two sources as neither has them all (OSDIY and BCF). I'm confident enough with some of them to get the 120ml bottles, the rest will just be 30's.

Don't forget to use either ECF or JFK on OSDIY...for the 20% off this whole month.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Looks like you're having some fun with your testing and finding out a bunch of useful info, too.

Don't forget to use either ECF or JFK on OSDIY...for the 20% off this whole month.

I placed the order with BCF... but have been holding off on the OSDIY order as I might still be adding more to it. They are my first choice for store bought concentrates now that I don't extract most of my own concentrates anymore. An additional savings on last months larger order I guess would have been nice for some, but saving a few bucks doesn't really matter much to me. IMO DIY is really cheap fun. However I naturally forgot one on BCF that goes with another I did order from them. It can wait until next time.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
However I naturally forgot one on BCF that goes with another I did order from them. It can wait until next time.

If you just recently placed the order...maybe they could add the one you forgot to it, before shipment? Many vendors will do that if you contact them.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
If you just recently placed the order...maybe they could add the one you forgot to it, before shipment? Many vendors will do that if you contact them.

During the checkout process IIRC their terms state that once an order is placed, they will not alter it. It can wait... it was an afterthought to add it to the wish list.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I mixed some Chefs Flavors English Trifle this morning. Odd thing happened.

The flavoring is very thick. It seems even thicker than VG actually. I mixed half a dozen bottles of juice and gave them all a stir with a mini stick blender, which fills the bottles with tiny bubbles. It takes several hours for the bubbles to clear out. After all the others had cleared I noticed the English Trifle was mostly clear but still had a layer of froth on top. I turned it upside down to see what happened. Slowly blobs of something started to rise up to the bottom of the bottle. It was like a Lava lamp. Shapes like tadpoles with a round head and a tail. Some long wormlike threads as well. It's a little hard to make out because I mix in brown bottles. Maybe I'll decant it to a clear bottle tomorrow so I can get a better look.

I've never seen anything like that before. It looked a lot like blobs of oil rising up. Makes me a bit nervous.

Anyone experienced anything like this?

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I've never seen anything like that before. It looked a lot like blobs of oil rising up. Makes me a bit nervous.

Anyone experienced anything like this?

That sounds like what @NatashaTMT told me had happened with 1 of her flavorings. Can't remember now exactly which 1 it was, but I'm sure she'll be along to let you know.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
That sounds like what @NatashaTMT told me had happened with 1 of her flavorings. Can't remember now exactly which 1 it was, but I'm sure she'll be along to let you know.

Morning update. The juice is clear now except for a ring around the top. If I tip the bottle the ring stays on the glass. When I turn it upside down the ring comes loose and I see the weird blobs rising up. I shook the bottle just a couple of times, the ring at the top disappeared and the juice was full of what looked like tiny bubbles, but I hadn't shaken it long enough to make bubbles. Whatever they were they rose right back up to the surface.

I started a fresh bottle of the flavoring to make this juice. Thinking I might not vape it, unless I can find an explanation. I've had solids come out of solution before but the fact that it floats and looks oily makes me nervous.

I'll try putting it in a measuring cylinder and separate off the stuff on the top. See if I can figure out what it is.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have made English Trifle on numerous occasions (usually with another ingredient mixed in) and have not experienced that issue. Where'd you buy it from?

I guess yeah, make another mix and I do think @NatashaTMT has that flavor because I sent her some and then I think she bought some.

IDK, sounds weird to me, but especially since I mix in brown amber bottles for the most part, I may have missed something, I would NOT rule that out, but certainly the mixes seemed to turn out fine with no oddness as far as I can tell.

Good luck with it!

Anna

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
@Spydro not to derail this thread but I was wondering how are you liking your profile rda? I have one coming and was just curious how you like it.

To reply without starting a new conversation about them here... some comments I made about them in OT threads (for replies):

Mesh attys and tanks

The Profile RDA - Wotofo

Bottom line IMO so far... they could be a great first mesh RDA for those who have never used them and want to try one out without the build learning curve of the others. The very small size of the mesh is the limiting factor for my uses... (I prefer using SS316L mesh, not KA1 or Ni80), so my DMP's still rule the mesh roost here.

corn flakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2014
Brant County Canada
Morning update. The juice is clear now except for a ring around the top. If I tip the bottle the ring stays on the glass. When I turn it upside down the ring comes loose and I see the weird blobs rising up. I shook the bottle just a couple of times, the ring at the top disappeared and the juice was full of what looked like tiny bubbles, but I hadn't shaken it long enough to make bubbles. Whatever they were they rose right back up to the surface.

I started a fresh bottle of the flavoring to make this juice. Thinking I might not vape it, unless I can find an explanation. I've had solids come out of solution before but the fact that it floats and looks oily makes me nervous.

I'll try putting it in a measuring cylinder and separate off the stuff on the top. See if I can figure out what it is.

I am planning on mixing up some trifle tonight. I will keep a close eye on it.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I'm confused. I forgot about my English Trifle mix for a few days and the strange oily looking stuff has spontaneously disappeared. There's no ring on the glass at the top of the liquid.

The description says it needs steeping. So maybe I always put it on the shelf for a few days as soon as I made it and the stuff I was worried about went away before I noticed. Its resemblance to blobs of oil freaked me out, but I'll try it and if it tastes OK guess I'll not worry too much. If it really was oil I don't think it would have dissolved away.

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I'm confused. I forgot about my English Trifle mix for a few days and the strange oily looking stuff has spontaneously disappeared. There's no ring on the glass at the top of the liquid.

The description says it needs steeping. So maybe I always put it on the shelf for a few days as soon as I made it and the stuff I was worried about went away before I noticed. Its resemblance to blobs of oil freaked me out, but I'll try it and if it tastes OK guess I'll not worry too much. If it really was oil I don't think it would have dissolved away.

I was going to say something earlier but got distracted. The only eliquid I have had that did this was a menthol I bought for my daughter. It literally clouded up and turned to gel. I got a replacement for that bottle but later noticed another menthol type that I mixed for her did it when placed in a cool, unheated room to steep. I am thinking that certain types in cool temps did it but don't know if any of this applies to your situation.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    Another question.
    I've noticed that the Osdiy flavors and blends really aren't that sweet to me at all. While when first vapeing them I do notice the sweet or candy part of the flavors they quickly fade behind the earthier flavors.
    Examples would be the licorice Torpedos and blue note. However if I should eat a sweet treat and vape right afterward the sweeter flavors really pop back to front again.
    This has me wondering if adding some sweetener might help to keep those fading flavors in the forefront.
    I do have at least 1 sweetener - FA. And 2 cotton candies which I've heard are used as sweetener LA and TFA. I think these might go particularly well with the Torpedos.
    I think I've read that sweeteners are powerful stuff. So I'm kinda at a loss for how much to use. Let's say for a 30ml batch... Should I be thinking in low percentage terms or just drops.
    Any input whether experience or guess would be appreciated.

Last edited:
    Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Sweetener is often shake and vape, depending on the sweetener. With 30 ml (if it's sucralose anyway) well I would start with a drop because you can always flavor up, but flavoring down is a whole lot harder. I think FA is sucralose from what I can tell.

Ethyl maltol is indeed a sweetener too, but really, it is an alcohol based sweetener I believe. It can often add mouthfeel but I would sort of use with caution because it can also mute flavors.

I mean, you can experiment with either but for straight up sweetening well sucralose is probably going to do the most sweetening without adding anything else, and it's also shake and vape so you don't have to wait around.. I mean, try both maybe, but in small tester amounts so you can see what works best with different flavors.

You may need more than a drop though if you are used to more commercial flavors, and I have Cap Supersweet sucralose, which is of a pretty high percentage. Etc.

Good luck,

Anna

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    What does the asterisk after the name of some of the blends mean? I assume possible tank cracker but not sure?

IIRC, the asterisk is shown by those that contain very small amounts of acetoin and/or acetyl propionyl. Quite a few flavorings by the big name companies (TFA, CAP, FW, etc.) contain them, too. TFA has their regular version and then the DX version (that don't have them) for about 2 dozen of their flavorings. CAP has their regular version and then the V2 version (that don't have them).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread