Not open for further replies.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Thank you both @JCinFLA and @stols001.
I was concerned about damaging my new favorite rta with PC tank when I saw that asterisk. Tho I've never really experienced any issue with supposed tank crackers.
And I checked my sweetener. It's TFA not FA. Bottle says water, PG and sucralose so I'll go with that.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
This has me wondering if adding some sweetener might help to keep those fading flavors in the forefront.
I do have at least 1 sweetener - FA. And 2 cotton candies which I've heard are used as sweetener LA and TFA. I think these might go particularly well with the Torpedos.
I think I've read that sweeteners are powerful stuff. So I'm kinda at a loss for how much to use. Let's say for a 30ml batch... Should I be thinking in low percentage terms or just drops.
Any input whether experience or guess would be appreciated.

I haven't had any sweetness fading so far with OSDIY's OSF or OSB. So far I've tried about 12 of them, and regularly use 6-8 of them. With their Licorice Torpedoes...I taste the candy coating on the inhale and the licorice on the exhale, like it says in their description of LT. So I guess with that one, you're supposed to be getting less sweetness on the exhale.

As far as sweeteners go - The 2 main ones many people used to use before several new ones have come out...were TFA Sweetener and/or CAP Super Sweet (liquid Sucralose). Many of us still use those 2 now. While an Ethyl Maltol solution IS what TFA's Cotton Candy is...its main purpose was/is to somewhat cut the harshness of some flavorings. That's why it's a good idea to not use too much of it, because it will not only cut the harshness...but will go further and mute some flavorings in your eliquid. (In fact, in some of Bill's Magic Vapor's recipes...he uses some of both the TFA Sweetener and the TFA Cotton Candy, because they serve 2 different purposes.) The TFA Cotton Candy is slightly sweet, but not nearly as sweet as the 2 flavorings mentioned, that are only sold as sweeteners.

Last edited:

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
With their Licorice Torpedoes...I taste the candy coating on the inhale and the licorice on the exhale, like it says in their description of LT.
Ya know, I have heard this a ton of times about many many flavors but experienced it extremely rarely. And LT is just a Mish mosh of both flavors for me and the candy is often overwhelmed by the licorice (anise?). The Blue Note is supposed to be blueberry and cream with a hint of pastry. For me it's mostly pastry.
I don't get it! Everyone else CAN'T be hallucinating the flavor nuances? Can they? I should just give up and accept that my flavor sensors are shorted out or something.
One of the VERY few flavors that gives me a distinct difference between in and out is a peppermint Patty type flavor like OSDIYs chocolate mint. It SUCKS t to be me!:(:cry::confused:o_O

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Ya know, I have heard this a ton of times about many many flavors but experienced it extremely rarely. And LT is just a Mish mosh of both flavors for me and the candy is often overwhelmed by the licorice (anise?). The Blue Note is supposed to be blueberry and cream with a hint of pastry. For me it's mostly pastry.
I don't get it! Everyone else CAN'T be hallucinating the flavor nuances? Can they? I should just give up and accept that my flavor sensors are shorted out or something.
One of the VERY few flavors that gives me a distinct difference between in and out is a peppermint Patty type flavor like OSDIYs chocolate mint. It SUCKS t to be me!:(:cry::confused:o_O
You aren't the only one whos' taste buds are a bit wacky. I have been at this for over 8 years and am just now getting to taste some of what I could not before. Its not everything, but it is slowly getting a bit better. I have vaped single flavor type mixes for most of those 8 years because I could not taste anything but the strongest flavor in a mix. And even then sometimes it was either muted or tasted horrible. Doing DIY allowed me to custom taylor what I could taste. So hang in there and don't fret too much. Even if your taste buds never improve, you will find flavors you can really taste and like. If you are DIYing it just takes patience and a lot of experimenting.

:)

eta The bluenote for me was a big fail. Just tasted like a bunch of chemicals to me.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Ya know, I have heard this a ton of times about many many flavors but experienced it extremely rarely.

You're definitely not alone in that though. There are possibly more people that can't detect the differences, than there are those who can. I know several people locally whose "buds" don't detect it.

Maybe it has something to do with the wattage you vape, or the coils you use, or something else? Or, maybe something you eat frequently tends to mute some of the flavorings in some of your eliquids? Or...could be your buds just haven't recovered yet from years and years of smoking. Who knows...maybe the type or brand of cigarettes we all smoked affected our sense of taste differently.

I know my own sense of taste is nowhere near those people who taste test wines, cheeses, etc. for a living. I just don't worry about it though. To me, if something tastes good to me, whether I can taste all the nuances of the individual ingredients or not...I still like it. :thumbs:

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
You aren't the only one whos' taste buds are a bit wacky. I have been at this for over 8 years and am just now getting to taste some of what I could not before. Its not everything, but it is slowly getting a bit better. I have vaped single flavor type mixes for most of those 8 years because I could not taste anything but the strongest flavor in a mix. And even then sometimes it was either muted or tasted horrible. Doing DIY allowed me to custom taylor what I could taste. So hang in there and don't fret too much. Even if your taste buds never improve, you will find flavors you can really taste and like. If you are DIYing it just takes patience and a lot of experimenting.

eta The bluenote for me was a big fail. Just tasted like a bunch of chemicals to me.

Thank you! It helps to know I'm not alone. I DO enjoy the simple drink flavors from OSDIY. I have 8 untried flavors at home. I'm looking forward to Arnold Palmer but I just HAD to try some more complex flavors first.. I've bought recipes from HIC... Nothing there. I tried one of Bills Magic Vapor recipes... Sounded sooooo scrumptious..... Most hideous juice I ever created! :confused::lol:

I have not had anything from OSDIY that was not at least pleasant. But gosh darn it I want just once to find that "Oh My God" flavor!!!

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Thank you! It helps to know I'm not alone. I DO enjoy the simple drink flavors from OSDIY. I have 8 untried flavors at home. I'm looking forward to Arnold Palmer but I just HAD to try some more complex flavors first.. I've bought recipes from HIC... Nothing there. I tried one of Bills Magic Vapor recipes... Sounded sooooo scrumptious..... Most hideous juice I ever created! :confused::lol:

I have not had anything from OSDIY that was not at least pleasant. But gosh darn it I want just once to find that "Oh My God" flavor!!!
I really like a lot of their flavors. I use them almost everyday. Arnold Palmer is good but I mostly taste lemon with a bit of tea, but I think that is how the rl drink is anyway. I also use the southern sweet tea. It is not overly sweet either. And the blueberry raspberry slushy and a couple more. lol But I have only had 1 OMG flavoring and (sadly) it did not come from OSDIY(sorry kim). It is a Wonder Flavor mix(found at bullcity) called Hazelnut and cream. I think I have mixed it at 6% and 8% and love either way. It is also good in mixes at a much lower amount. Might be worth getting a small bottle and trying it. I know I immediately went for the much bigger bottle after initially trying it. And, it seems, that quite a few other members here agree that it is simply delicious.

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I really like a lot of their flavors. I use them almost everyday. Arnold Palmer is good but I mostly taste lemon with a bit of tea, but I think that is how the rl drink is anyway. I also use the southern sweet tea. It is not overly sweet either. And the blueberry raspberry slushy and a couple more. lol But I have only had 1 OMG flavoring and (sadly) it did not come from OSDIY(sorry kim). It is a Wonder Flavor mix(found at bullcity) called Hazelnut and cream. I think I have mixed it at 6% and 8% and love either way. It is also good in mixes at a much lower amount. Might be worth getting a small bottle and trying it. I know I immediately went for the much bigger bottle after initially trying it. And, it seems, that quite a few other members here agree that it is simply delicious.

Love the stuff:)

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither
    A couple of weeks ago I was trying to find a supply of 60ml Chubby Gorilla bottles (without much luck) to use with several WOTOFO Easy Fill Squonk Caps I had coming. Shane & Kimberly had gifted one bottle to me in my last order, so I suggested that they might include some for sale at One Stop. FYI they emailed back on 9/28 that they have done so.

I had already finally found some, and paid $0.95 each for them. They are giving theirs away for $0.40 each.

Yup, OSDIYS always gives great customer service, and that includes offering their customers great prices.

Attachments

• chubby-wotofo squonk cap.jpg
      chubby-wotofo squonk cap.jpg
      35.2 KB · Views: 24

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN

Don't give up, it took me years and buying several hundred bottles to find THE one, for me. I am close to replicating it in a DIY so I am happy. For me, I had to stop reading the description and reviews thinking that would be one I loved as it usually wasn't. I accepted that I have very sensitive/weird taste buds. For example, things I love to eat I cannot stand to vape. I love nuts of all kinds but can't bear to vape anything nutty flavored. Out of approx. 300 different juices I have bought or mixed myself, I only like about 20 and only 3 of those can be an adv.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    Don't give up, it took me years and buying several hundred bottles to find THE one, for me. I am close to replicating it in a DIY so I am happy. For me, I had to stop reading the description and reviews thinking that would be one I loved as it usually wasn't. I accepted that I have very sensitive/weird taste buds. For example, things I love to eat I cannot stand to vape. I love nuts of all kinds but can't bear to vape anything nutty flavored. Out of approx. 300 different juices I have bought or mixed myself, I only like about 20 and only 3 of those can be an adv.
    Yeah, problem is I work 14 hour days and and live most of my life in an 18 wheel rolling padded cell. Really ain't got time for all the fartin around. Imagine I might just go onback to cheap massively over flavored commercial juice and cut it by 50-75%

Reactions: stols001

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    Just got home again. Didn't need to mix any juice but decided to try some more of the new untried flavors.
    Decided to go with LL + LS @10% each 24mg 60V/40P. Shake & vape in an Aspire BVC clearo 1.8 ohm @ 3.8 volts with an eGo-C twist.
    Very pleased with it. I don't seem to have the sensitive palate that many folks do. So the best I can describe is a strong dark roast flavor with a bunch of creamy fluff following. No sweetness to speak of and wouldn't want it in a coffee flavor. Next time I'll probably cut the LS and raise the LL but it's definitely a keeper. Still have to see if it changes with time.

Edit: I should mention that I mixed this using a new nic. Got a free 15ml sample from nude nic. I've felt for quite awhile that my DIY may have been suffering from the rotgut MFS nic I've been using.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Decided to go with LL + LS @10% each 24mg 60V/40P. Shake & vape in an Aspire BVC clearo 1.8 ohm @ 3.8 volts with an eGo-C twist.
    Very pleased with it.

That's the same % of each one that Kimberly uses in hers, and it's the same nic mg, too. She's a real tootle puffer...very low wattage., like 5W IIRC. I'm glad you hit on something you like! :thumbs:

I've felt for quite awhile that my DIY may have been suffering from the rotgut MFS nic I've been using.

I got 1L of nic from MFS the very first time I bought any. Ended up giving away and/or reselling all but the 60mL bottle I'd pulled off of it when I got it. It was much too peppery for my taste! Since then I've bought Heartland Vapes, RTS Vapes (now Nicotine Giant), LNW, Wizard Labs, and Nude Nicotine. Been very pleased with all of them. Most of my stash is from Heartland Vapes and Nicotine Giant since both are very good to me, but less $$ than WL and NN.

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither
    That's the same % of each one that Kimberly uses in hers, and it's the same nic mg, too. She's a real tootle puffer...very low wattage., like 5W IIRC. I'm glad you hit on something you like! :thumbs:

I got 1L of nic from MFS the very first time I bought any. Ended up giving away and/or reselling all but the 60mL bottle I'd pulled off of it when I got it. It was much too peppery for my taste! Since then I've bought Heartland Vapes, RTS Vapes (now Nicotine Giant), LNW, Wizard Labs, and Nude Nicotine. Been very pleased with all of them. Most of my stash is from Heartland Vapes and Nicotine Giant since both are very good to me, but less $$ than WL and NN.

These two OSB's combined together at whatever percentage you like does grow on you. I keep my so called Lucky Latte in two mod/atty combos that are set up so each is a different experience with the same joose (different atty fluid dynamics with different builds ran at different wattages).

5W??? Interesting. I think that's the lowest wattage I've ever heard of that someone vapes at.

>

I bought my first VG & PG from Wizard Labs just once 5.5+ years ago. But I have bought the best (popular vote) ever since from Jake at Nude Nicotine. In the quantities of 1 liter size that I buy/stock on most orders the shipping has been free on the heavy packages. IIRC that requires a $100 minimum order now days, up from the $75 and before that $50 it had been.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    I bought my first VG & PG from Wizard Labs just once 5.5+ years ago. But I have bought the best (popular vote) ever since from Jake at Nude Nicotine. In the quantities of 1 liter size that I buy/stock on most orders the shipping has been free on the heavy packages.

Have you ever tried Bulk Apothecary's VG and PG? Quite a few of us use theirs exclusively, like @IDJoel for instance. When I first started DIY several years ago, I did a comparison of the total cost of it (items + S/H), with the top 2 usually recommended sites for it on here. BA beat them hands down and has continued to since then, when I check about every 5-6 months. It's an even better deal when BA has one of their coupon codes for $10 off an order of $29 or more, or a flat coupon for like 17% off your total order, etc.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Have you ever tried Bulk Apothecary's VG and PG? Quite a few of us use theirs exclusively, like @IDJoel for instance. When I first started DIY several years ago, I did a comparison of the total cost of it (items + S/H), with the top 2 usually recommended sites for it on here. BA beat them hands down and has continued to since then, when I check about every 5-6 months. It's an even better deal when BA has one of their coupon codes for $10 off an order of $29 or more, or a flat coupon for like 17% off your total order, etc.
    Yep; I +1 for Bulk Apothecary!:thumb:

Product, plus shipping (on one gallon of PG, and three gallons of VG), saved me about $26 compared to Essential Depot's 4 gallon discounted "cubes."

The only thing I would add, is the site is a little different to navigate (they seem to cater mostly to the DIY soap and lotion crowd vs. vaping). PG, and VG, are both listed under Raw Ingredients>Other Ingredients & Chemicals.

upload_2018-10-24_18-25-52.png

Also, both are sold by weight, and not volume. So a gallon of PG is 8lbs., and a gallon of VG is 10lbs. VG is listed as Glycerin, instead of Vegetable Glycerin, but it is USP VG none the less.

I am just using up the last of my initial purchase (7/2/2016), and it tastes just as clean as the day I bought it. And, it has only been stored in a linen closet, in their original containers. I am quite happy with BA's products!:D:thumbs::D

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither

No, I've only bought that one time from WL, and from NN ever since because I have been very satisfied with Jake's and see no reason to try to fix what to me is not broke. The cost I don't care about for the most part, and I have no issue at all with NN's prices. Besides, its all about flavor to me rather than the cost. Even so I enjoy the fact that to me DIY is dirt cheap.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Besides, its all about flavor to me rather than the cost. Even so I enjoy the fact that to me DIY is dirt cheap.

If you're happy with NN...that's all that matters. There's no reason to change. :thumb:

I just prefer BA because to me their PG & VG is great quality, while being lower in cost, too.

I definitely agree with you about DIY being dirt cheap, especially compared to buying ready-made eliquids! I don't even like to think back to the $$ I spent on them before I started DIY, and I didn't even buy the really high-priced stuff. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread