Permanently Dye a White Silicone Sleeve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Recently bought some white silicone sleeves for a mod because all that was left to by anywhere. Not a big fan of white pr translucent silicone sleeves because when they get stained it's impossible to clean them, not even bleach works.

I figured I could try dying them.

Anyone do this successfully before?

I've read about it on a few sites. One method is to use hair dye, but I figured I would ask here in case maybe someone has done it using a better method.

I also have a bottle of black RIT fabric dye, but I don't know if that would work well.

Just don't want it to rub off on my hands or clothes. :lol:

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Dunoon, West of Scotland.
    I'll follow this thread with interest, as like you I don't like white as it has the paradox that it'll show stains but can be difficult to colour.

I definitely know watercolour paint doesn't work, haven't tried ink marker and am considering glueing on a large medallion as a distraction - but what I'd really like would be something more permanent.

Reactions: wvducklady

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Did a little more searching and I read on a site that hair dye may be the best bet, however it has to be a "permanent" hair dye. But there was no proof of this technique actually working. I don't know what permanent hair dye is exactly as I have zero knowledge about hair dyes, but it's strikes me as possibly more expensive than I might care for. However I do have about 5 or 6 sleeves I could do.

Apparently fabric dye can somewhat discolor silicone but it won't be a deep dark dye job by any means. Even at high concentrations, if you were to dye white silicon black, it would come out a light grey. To be honest, I might try that since I have the fabric dye. But will wait a bit.

I also briefly saw something about paint, but I didn't look into that as I don't think even a paint made for silicone would be a good solution for something that you hold in your hand and grab a lot.

Last edited:
    Reactions: wvducklady

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Having had two wives and three daughter I think I know a wee bit about hair dyes - there's the ones they can use for a dramatic effect or to try something out which wash out fairly quickly ( and I have never forgotten coming home to find my oldest daughter with purple hair back in the 90s when she was a teenager ) whereas the "permanent " ones last longer but not forever.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    When we eventually get out of lockdown there is one experiment I do intend to try - on a piece of scrap silicone first.

I am aware from model making that some shoe polishes have an underlying different colour if applied thinly and polished and polished and better polished off.

The Press at the time would often refer to Ronald Reagan as "the man with the prematurely orange hair" as when the sunlight caught him from certain angles his black dyed hair did have an orange tinge.

Black shoe polish can leave an orange-ish stain; oxblood shoe polish can leave a purple-ish stain. On scrap I do want to try this to see if a pleasant mottled or striped effect could be produced.

Reactions: Lio M

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    I highly doubt u can paint silicone with any type of paint permanently...cause u will need a paint that is also elastic in order to stay on...
    Except if u find any kind of coloured silicon and apply a layer on it? That would be hard to get it right tho :p
    except if there is such thing like silicone based paint? I just made that up now hahahahahsj

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I have one, too. Maybe I haven't had breakfast yet, but thought of this (can you hear the sizzle?):

ff3d72b5-36ed-4551-9d2b-aa662f105262_1.4802bec8499596045cc3d3aeb4fa2bae.jpeg

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Permanent hair color is most that you see in the stores. It should say permanent on it and costs a few dollars, not expensive. Try Sally's if you have one.

If you use hair color, I would stretch the sleeve onto something and then put it in the hair color for at least 20 minutes, but read directions as they vary in timing.

After finished, soak the sleeve in vinegar for a few minutes. Then rinse. That will set the color. Also, use cold water to rinse, helps set color.

I have no personal experience with coloring sleeves but do have over 50 years experience in hair coloring, etc. Old Cosmetology instructor of past days.

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    @rosesense I wonder if any coloured foundation would work?

When Rhona got some on her white silcone watch strap we'd the Devil's own job getting it off and there's stiil traces of it a couple of years on.
    Any color should work but if I wanted a black sleeve, I would use black hair color.

Might be better to use car paint.

Reactions: Falconeer

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    For some reason I never got notice of responses after the first couple. Anyhow. I decided to try the black Rit fabric dye because I have it and will never use it (I don't even know why I have it lol).

What I decided to do was just use it full strength :sneaky:. Almost the whole bottle used. I have a little plastic jar (from buillon cubes) and I just put he sleeve in there and poured the Rit dye in. I don't know how long I'm gonna let it sit before I even bother to check on it, but days for sure. It's going to be really messy getting it out of that jar.

I may try soaking it in vinegar when I'm finished. Will report back periodically.

I'm not expecting to get a black sleeve out of this, my guess is some shade of grey. Hopefully a medium shade.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Falconeer

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I highly doubt u can paint silicone with any type of paint permanently...cause u will need a paint that is also elastic in order to stay on...
    Except if u find any kind of coloured silicon and apply a layer on it? That would be hard to get it right tho :p
    except if there is such thing like silicone based paint? I just made that up now hahahahahsj

When I was searching how to go about this, I did see mentioned of a special paint for silicone. But I would never bother with paint of any kind for something you are constantly touching. It won't last long.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    OK, so I got a little curious and decided to check on it. Black Rit dye, full strength at about 1-1/2 days. Here's the result. Not very dark (expected) but also very inconsistent. However, I like it a lot better than plain white.

I rinsed it well & dried it off ,then tried to rub off the dye with my bare hand and then a paper towel but it wouldn't rub off or smear/smudge :thumb:

I put it back in the dye. This time it'll sit a lot longer. I just got curious to see if it was taking any color at all.

I wonder if taking it out periodically, rinsing it and drying it, then putting it back in would help darken it better? Just a thought.

Pics against different background, compared to it's original color.

0n9NzpM.jpg

jE19EC0.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread