Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
This has been an interesting conversation and I appreciate everyone’s input and sharing their point of view.

I’ve enjoyed learning about all aspects of vaping on my journey from my 1st vape pen to now multiple RDAs and squonkers. I’m glad I didn’t go from A to Z skipping over everything else. I feel that each step has allowed me to build on each experience which has made me a more knowledgeable vaper.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
No you do not need "the background knowledge...and so on" What you need is ask couple questions on this forum... :shock:

Example:

Q:I bought Siren2 and have no clue how to install coil can somebody help me?
A: See this video below.

Q: What wire should I buy to make coils for Siren2?
A: In the beginning start with simple round Kanthal gauge 26

Q:How big coil should I make?
A: Make it by wraping 5....or 6.... or 7 wraps around 2.5mm screwdriver and you will get 0.7ohm or 0.8ohm or 0.9ohm coil that works very good in Siren2

Q:What is "ohm"?
A: I have no clue yet because I vape RTA for only 5 months but it has something to do with resistance but do not ask me what resistance is because I resist answering complicated questions ....

Q:What watts should I use when vaping my Siren2?
A: start first puff at 8 and go up till you will like number that gives you most enjoyable puff... and please do not ask me what watt is...

And so on.....:D
LMAO.. You are assuming the above is a conversation happening between 2 people only. Not on this forum.

You really should learn about the vaping gear you use......never know.....might just come in handy some day........

:lol::D

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
This has been an interesting conversation and I appreciate everyone’s input and sharing their point of view.

I’ve enjoyed learning about all aspects of vaping on my journey from my 1st vape pen to now multiple RDAs and squonkers. I’m glad I didn’t go from A to Z skipping over everything else. I feel that each step has allowed me to build on each experience which has made me a more knowledgeable vaper.

Glad you started this thread, it's been interesting. We all want to help other vapers. It does take some reflection to understand the best way to do it.

That step by step is how it worked for me too. Actually I think I learned most of what I know about coils and wicks through months of tinkering with those old Pro Tank heads. After that the rest was just fine tuning.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Am I the only one who finds it amusing, that even in this thread, (which wasn't started to discuss/debate using factory coils, or coil building, at all)...a large number of the posts were about those 2 things in some way...ie. how wasteful drop-in coils are, how much more expensive they are, how anyone can learn to make their own coils, when one should learn how to do it, why they should learn how to do it, etc.? ;)

IMO, it's just a perfect example of what happens in many threads on here, especially ones that newbies start...when asking for recommendations, advice, etc. about many other things. The coil "stuff" is usually brought up anyway. I just don't get it! :unsure:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Am I the only one who finds it amusing, that even in this thread, (which wasn't started to discuss/debate using factory coils, or coil building, at all)...a large number of the posts were about those 2 things in some way...ie. how wasteful drop-in coils are, how much more expensive they are, how anyone can learn to make their own coils, when one should learn how to do it, why they should learn how to do it, etc.? ;)

IMO, it's just a perfect example of what happens in many threads on here, especially ones that newbies start...when asking for recommendations, advice, etc. about many other things. The coil "stuff" is usually brought up anyway. I just don't get it! :unsure:

"IMO, it's just a perfect example of what happens in many threads on here, especially ones that newbies start...when asking for recommendations, advice, etc. about many other things. The coil "stuff" is usually brought up anyway. I just don't get it!"

JC, I think the original intent (when ohm's etc would come up)was so people would have the basic knowledge of ohm's law in case vaping was banned. That threat prompted people to know how to build safely so a mech mod could be used if no other gear was available. Also, it has become a way for people to explain what they are using so others got a idea if they would like to try something like that. Now it seems it is just a part of the whole overall journey for most......

:)

Reactions: stols001

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
"IMO, it's just a perfect example of what happens in many threads on here, especially ones that newbies start...when asking for recommendations, advice, etc. about many other things. The coil "stuff" is usually brought up anyway. I just don't get it!"

JC, I think the original intent (when ohm's etc would come up)was so people would have the basic knowledge of ohm's law in case vaping was banned. That threat prompted people to know how to build safely so a mech mod could be used if no other gear was available. Also, it has become a way for people to explain what they are using so others got a idea if they would like to try something like that. Now it seems it is just a part of the whole overall journey for most......

Quick and dirty: Answer what was asked, only. If they only want to know about drop ins, so be it.
Sometimes, the question is so broad, that it either needs follow up questions answered (and they don't always get answered), or a long detailed explanation of procedures, which usually includes alternatives like DIY coils, etc.
Multiple people are going to give their take, and that is where it can go off the rails a little.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Quick and dirty: Answer what was asked, only. If they only want to know about drop ins, so be it.
Sometimes, the question is so broad, that it either needs follow up questions answered (and they don't always get answered), or a long detailed explanation of procedures, which usually includes alternatives like DIY coils, etc.
Multiple people are going to give their take, and that is where it can go off the rails a little.
"Answer what was asked, only."

Oh but that is what I do. I don't like it either when others impose their views on new members especially when they aren't even close to answering the OP. I was just answering JC's post.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh

Oh but that is what I do. I don't like it either when others impose their views on new members especially when they aren't even close to answering the OP. I was just answering JC's post.

I didn't mean to call you out, or argue with what you said. I was just expounding on what was said. Just adding my thoughts about why sometimes the threads take on a bit of a life of their own.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA

We have the right to remain silent and refuse to answer questions. Anything we say may be used against us. If we really feel the need to provide answer we should keep it simple and answer "yes or "no"... but the best answer is .... either "I do not know" or "I do not remember"...

Example:

Q: Can I do something to stop "sparks" of hot liquid from my Baby Beast hitting my mouth?
A: Yes.

Q:Can you tell me what I should do?
A:No

Q: Why you cannot?
A: Coz I do not remember.

Such answers will protect us from imposing our views on new members...and many other problems elaborate... not to the point... answers create... but personally....................I prefer lively forums from lifeless and dull.:)

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Last paragraph of the below quote:
    There is another perception that I have problem with... it is perception that if somebody have been only vaping on a T18 or similar for a week it is not capable vaping RTA... perception that to be able to vape RTA you either have to be rocket scientist or veteran drop in coil/pod user that burned 50 smok coils and replaced 100 pods or other one button AiOs...:D

Some one that's never vaped and never will before can wind "a coil" and install it, but getting good results or even knowing what good results are is another matter. At a week vaping, one is still learning draw technique and how that affects what is happening in their vape. These things are simply more important than fiddling with bits of wire (or mixing ejuice).

It may be true that to get a really good vape you have to build it yourself. I think that's a failure, however.

You will not find it amusing if you will loose job find another that pays half what paid previous, have huge medical bills because someone in your family has diabeties T1 and you live in a country that do not have taxpayer paid universal health insurance like in Australia or Canada... and your kid is in college not paid by taxpayers... and your property tax on your house is equal to three months of your income...and renting is not much cheaper as property taxes make rents high.

I was smoker for 43 years and I quit not because of health concerns but rather because smoking become too expensive for my budget... Finding well paying job when you are 60 is not easy... at least where I live... so every dollar saved counts... saved on drop in coils, saved on DIY juice, coffee made in house not from Starbuck, lunches made at home not purchased in Subway , movies watched on you tube instead of theatres etc...

The most often devices discussed on this forum are not high end mods and tanks but economy/ budget ones... see how popular are clones from Fastech? So this means I am not alone.There are plenty of frugal people on this forum and what somebody paid for cigarettes do not have to be excuse to waste money if you do not have to.

My coils with my amount of vaping lasted me less than a week... amount saved on coils can let me buy nice DNA Mod or couple different atties... considering that those savings come with better vape that drop in coil provides I do not see it amusing... Of course I do not insist that people must use RTAs but I think that most people would benefit from using them (not necessarily from economic reasons) and the only reason they do not want to is wrong perception it is much more difficult than tanks with drop in coils...

There is another perception that I have problem with... it is perception that if somebody have been only vaping on a T18 or similar for a week it is not capable vaping RTA... perception that to be able to vape RTA you either have to be rocket scientist or veteran drop in coil/pod user that burned 50 smok coils and replaced 100 pods or other one button AiOs...:D

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015

If someone has asked about what you've mentioned above, then that person opened the door, so to speak, and invited other posts about it.

However, I was talking about posts in which the OP never asked about that stuff at all! For example, they ask for recommendations for a tank and state that they want 1 that takes drop-in coils. The coil building suggestions many times still get posted. Some of those posts are even kind of insulting to the poster...because he/she wants to continue using drop-ins.

There are other examples like the above, too, where building coils also pops up, when the OP of the thread hasn't asked about it. I'm not talking about a simple post or 2 mentioning that maybe the OP might want to think about coil building sometime. There are multiple posts trying to convince the OP to learn it.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    If someone has asked about what you've mentioned above, then that person opened the door, so to speak, and invited other posts about it.

However, I was talking about posts in which the OP never asked about that stuff at all! For example, they ask for recommendations for a tank and state that they want 1 that takes drop-in coils. The coil building suggestions many times still get posted. Some of those posts are even kind of insulting to the poster...because he/she wants to continue using drop-ins.

There are other examples like the above, too, where building coils also pops up, when the OP of the thread hasn't asked about it. I'm not talking about a simple post or 2 mentioning that maybe the OP might want to think about coil building sometime. There are multiple posts trying to convince the OP to learn it.
    I totally understood your post and your meaning. I was offering a reason as to why members would do what you are talking about. Besides I am sure you are aware that some members don't even bother to read what any other members have said in their post and the info can often be repeated taking the subject further off course.(one of my pet peeves)

With the number of members ECF has that visits here this problem has existed since the beginning and is more than likely to continue. It is good that once in a while we can vent our unhappiness about it but to really expect any of our comments to bring about change is more likely not going to happen. Any energy spent on thinking that it will would be better spent in helping in areas where you can make a difference.

just my 2 pennies.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    I totally understood your post and your meaning. I was offering a reason as to why members would do what you are talking about. Besides I am sure you are aware that some members don't even bother to read what any other members have said in their post and the info can often be repeated taking the subject further off course.(one of my pet peeves)

With the number of members ECF has that visits here this problem has existed since the beginning and is more than likely to continue. It is good that once in a while we can vent our unhappiness about it but to really expect any of our comments to bring about change is more likely not going to happen. Any energy spent on thinking that it will would be better spent in helping in areas where you can make a difference.

just my 2 pennies.
    Just get a ProVari....a ProVari that is actually a 67 NeoFet Squonker with a ProVari sticker....:)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Just get a ProVari....a ProVari that is actually a 67 NeoFet Squonker with a ProVari sticker....:)
    Actually I do have a few(now safely stored away). I was one of many members on that long first list to buy when they were first put on the market. Those and the Darwin(mod- another variable vw) were all I used for quite a while.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Notice how I safely skirted the Squonker in my last post......lol

Never did like squonkers or dripping regularity for that matter. It was just too messy for me and I never could get it right....LOL
    Dripping to test a flavor? That I can do but......

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2014
    Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
    Glad you started this thread, it's been interesting. We all want to help other vapers. It does take some reflection to understand the best way to do it.

That step by step is how it worked for me too. Actually I think I learned most of what I know about coils and wicks through months of tinkering with those old Pro Tank heads. After that the rest was just fine tuning.

Spot on, about the PT head. Once you master that, its all down hill.

Reactions: stols001

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    That was the biggest decision I had for my first vv device, a provari or darwin. I personally went with the provari because I thought the darwins shape was weird...certainly evolve was ahead of its time.
    Actually I do have a few(now safely stored away). I was one of many members on that long first list to buy when they were first put on the market. Those and the Darwin(mod- another variable vw) were all I used for quite a while.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread