Pet Peeve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Not long ago, we just told everyone to get a ProVari...regardless of the question.

"I'm a noob and was just wondering if a vanilla juice would work with a 3 ohm boge carto?"

"Just get a ProVari ."

Life was so simple back then. :thumbs:
Rossum said:
Not long ago, we just told everyone to get a XXXXXXX REO...Fixed that for you. :laugh:
Good times. :)

Last edited:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    this is obviously just MY pet peeve but I’ve had it since I was a noobie looking for help...

It’s not helpful when someone esp a noobie comes here to ask for help with their coils/atty and everyone chimes in about building their own coils and how much better they are & how much money they’ll save etc etc etc...Then a long list of tweets about which RTA would be good for a beginner. Blah blah blah

So cool you build your own coils. Awesome. But not everyone wants to or can. Or are just starting out and are stressed enough.

So instead try helping with their questions. If they’re interested in building they’ll be reading about RBAs eventually unless they live under a rock and then they will be asking about building.

Rant over. Flame away.

BTW I LOVE building my own coils but I also LOVE my drop in coil tanks too.

:shock:

Agree completely. As @Coastal Cowboy said 'if you ask for the time, someone will start telling you how to build a watch'

As a relative newbie to vaping (6 months in) - there's also the learning curve factor. There's no way I could've successfully built and wicked an RTA after 2 weeks of vaping - but after 4 months I had the background knowledge for it.

Plus for the first few months - you don't want to be over thinking anything. You just need your vape to work - and get through the ciggy withdrawal.

The beauty of vaping is - there's always something different to try - In 6 months I've gone from:

A pen mod
    Internal battery mod
    External battery mod
    First RTA
    First RDA
    DIY ejuice

And ALL the advice and help I needed - I got from right here :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Yep and the most technical conversation was , " what ohm would give me the highest wattage?" Being we only had 15 on the provari, it worked out to a coil as close to 1.3 ohms that gave you the 15 watt max because of the amp limit of 3.5 .or was it 3? Or 2.5? I think the p1 was 2.5 then it went to 3.5 on the p2
    Just consider it evolution....

Not long ago, we just told everyone to get a ProVari...regardless of the question.

"I'm a noob and was just wondering if a vanilla juice would work with a 3 ohm boge carto?"

"Just get a ProVari ."

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Hey, if we're looking to change how we respond to posts, how about batteries also. Should be able to have a conversation about lipo mods w/o 18650 folks jumping in trying to get the OP to change over.
    Wait, are these the same folks...?
    The problem with internal LiPo batteries is the data for those batteries is hard to come by. We generally don't even know which LiPo battery is being used in an internal battery mod unless we take apart the mod, as the manufacturer doesn't say. Even if we do find the model Lipo used, where do you find the specs for it? Not that it matters, as the battery in an internal battery mod was not meant to be replaced by the user. We don't get to choose which battery the manufacturer uses, so what's the point?

With external 18650 batteries, the data is reasonably available. We can research and find the true specs of an 18650 battery if we know where to look. Ie Mooch's blog. Then we can purchase the best 18650 battery for the way we vape.

I refer you to this current post about this subject: Can you test..

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    The problem with internal LiPo batteries is the data for those batteries is hard to come by. We generally don't even know which LiPo battery is being used in an internal battery mod unless we take apart the mod, as the manufacturer doesn't say. Even if we do find the model Lipo used, where do you find the specs for it? Not that it matters, as the battery in an internal battery mod was not meant to be replaced by the user. We don't get to choose which battery the manufacturer uses.

With external 18650 batteries, the data is reasonably available if you know where to look. We can research and find the true specs of an 18650 battery if we know where to look. Ie Mooch's blog.

I refer you to this current post about this subject: Can you test..
    But, but, that's the whole point of this thread. Allow others to choose and respect their choices.
    The thread that you linked was an exception and I hope that it leads to further discussion.
    The forum needs to stop thinking that factory coil and lipo folks are idiots.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    But, but, that's the whole point of this thread. Allow others to choose and respect their choices.
    The thread that you linked was an exception and I hope that it leads to further discussion.
    The forum needs to stop thinking that factory coil and lipo folks aren't idiots.
    I agree. I respect that everyone has a right to vape as they wish. If it keeps them off of smoking tobacco, more power to them.

I have used both factory coils and built my own. Currently, I'm using factory coils because I grew weary of making my own coils and rewicking every few days... and now prefer the convenience of drop in coils which last a month -- and my vape hasn't suffered in the least.

Nothing wrong with using an internal battery mod. They arguably provide more "convenience" than an external battery mod and are less expensive to buy initially because you don't have to buy external batteries and a dedicated Li-ion charger. However, I like to point out that in the long term that convenience is expensive because when that non-removable battery dies, you will have to buy an entire new mod. If it had been an external battery mod, you simple spend $5-$8 each for new batteries and continue to use the old mod. To some, that's not an important factor when making a purchase. To others, its an extremely important factor.

The choice in the battery used for vaping is, IMHO, the most important choice of gear we use. I want the ability to pick and choose which battery is best for the way I vape. From a safety perspective as well as from a performance perspective. For me, that is using an 18650 external battery. Using an internal Lipo battery doesn't allow for that choice.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I made some halibut flavored juice in honor of this thread. A gallon in fact. It's very nice.
    picocchio.jpg
    thanks for the shade:)

• Winner
    Reactions: Coyote628

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    The only prebuilt coils I used were those that comes with spare parts...I do not understand how people are not able to make their own coils but have no problems installing prebuilt ones.

For me... because of my poor vision it is much more challenging to install coil than to make a coil... particulary on RTAs with very small deck where you have to wrap coil legs around a screw head (Doggystyle,Dwarv)... sure I am not making any exotic coils but to make twisted wire with the help of drill you do not have any special skills... just look on any you tube video and in less than five minutes you can make enough twisted wire for a dozen or more coils... if 60 years old can do it you can also do it... Making coil with coil jig is easy and effortless ... in 15 minutes I can make a dozen coils...

Is it cheaper than drop in coils? Of course it is cheaper.... I was using Aspire Nautilus BVC coils ( $2 ) and Smok M2 Baby Beast coils ($3) and I liked them (BVC not M2).... but after 2-3 days flavor on them get muted and after a week they were unusable... at the rate of 2 per week I would spent $200 for the coils in a year... for 100 feet of Kanthal I paid $5 (shipping included)... I can make easily over 100 coils for just five bucks! Oh I forgot wicking material... but for $15 I have enough of it for many years.... I do not know how long coils I make last... after a week or two I change them... for different number of wraps, inner diameter or trying twisted wire etc.

It amaze me that so many vaping newbies are buying cheap vaping devices that have zero control of vape and spent "fortune" on drop in coils in a hope that this particular coil or mod will be better than previous without gurgling, spitback and burnt taste... and they will come to this forum asking for advice but expect that another device with just one button to push and with zero control will provide them better vape. I they really do not want to learn why asking people for advice for better vape... keep puffing that cigalike or other "blue" .... RTA tanks have the same problems like a drop in coil tanks but it is much easier to learn what makes good vape with RTA or RDA than with drop in coil tank.

I am also not buying that excuse I work 6 days a week and do not have time for making coil...it is the same excuse like those that on the way to work stop at Starbucks wait in line and pay $6 or more for something they could do it easily at home... some will have time to write 100 posts per week on this forum so they have no time to make single coil in a week:D

IMHO using RTA is not a rocket science and any adult can learn it in a few days...I bought my Siren after 4 weeks of vaping and had no problem making my first coil using just screwdriver... and I am not "handy Andy".
    I am grateful you were not the first vaper I met...I never would have even given vaping a chance.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 5, 2013
    Collinsville, OK
    Just consider it evolution....

"Just get a ProVari ."

Provaris did fix everything.
    That's why I had one of every model.

I had a lot of problems. Nothing to do with vaping, but I figured it was worth a shot and cheaper than therapy. :pervy:

Janusz

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2018
    Illinois, USA
    I am grateful you were not the first vaper I met...I never would have even given vaping a chance.

???????????????????????:confused:

I found interesting instruction how to teach kids to ride a bike without training wheels... I think similar method should work for adults, vaping, coil making and other things...

"
    As we approached the flat field behind the school, he began to whimper, “I’m going to fall. I’m going to fall.”

Kneeling, I met his eyes and said, “Yes. You will fall. You will fall once, then twice, and probably a third time. So let’s practice falling first, then we will practice riding.”

I held his bike steady as he climbed on and began to pedal. “I’m going to let go now, and you are going to fall.”

He fell to the right and hit the grass. A smile erupted over his face as he laughed. “That wasn’t scary and didn’t even hurt! Let’s go again!”

We practiced again…and again. With the fear of falling no longer consuming him, his confidence grew with each length across the field. Within 30 minutes, she was vaping.":D

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    I used to spend $70 a week on my RYO cig habit.
    When some one talks about the massive savings of building your own coil I find it amusing.
    The coils in my current tanks last 4weeks. I threw one out after 6weeks and it was still vaping fine but I got to wondering how degraded the coil components might be after 6weeks.
    $2.95 per coil, 73cents a week! add about $2 worth of juice per week = $2.73pw vaping vs $70.00pw for my tobacco habit. I honestly dont care one jot about any perceived savings of building a coil, a 96.2% saving is ample. I can literally buy a mod, tank and 5 coils a week for the same price as my tobacco habit cost me a week......some weeks I do :blush:

I understand the satisfaction someone might get in building their own coils and Im sure some are really proficient and consistent at it, I can imagine some take a great deal of pride in their DIY vaping abilities, but when someone wanders in and have been only vaping on a T18 or similar for a week and asks for a bit of guidance and the first few posts are all about building it kind of seems a bit whack. At least help the new vaper by answering their questions or help them to ask the right questions so they can get started quitting tobacco.
    Then, when theyre into it and going good, smack them over the head with shinyitis, DIY mixing and building coils.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2018
    Illinois, USA
    I used to spend $70 a week on my RYO cig habit.
    When some one talks about the massive savings of building your own coil I find it amusing.
    The coils in my current tanks last 4weeks. I threw one out after 6weeks and it was still vaping fine but I got to wondering how degraded the coil components might be after 6weeks.
    $2.95 per coil, 73cents a week! add about $2 worth of juice per week = $2.73pw vaping vs $70.00pw for my tobacco habit. I honestly dont care one jot about any perceived savings of building a coil, a 96.2% saving is ample. I can literally buy a mod, tank and 5 coils a week for the same price as my tobacco habit cost me a week......some weeks I do :blush:

I understand the satisfaction someone might get in building their own coils and Im sure some are really proficient and consistent at it, I can imagine some take a great deal of pride in their DIY vaping abilities, but when someone wanders in and have been only vaping on a T18 or similar for a week and asks for a bit of guidance and the first few posts are all about building it kind of seems a bit whack. At least help the new vaper by answering their questions or help them to ask the right questions so they can get started quitting tobacco.
    Then, when theyre into it and going good, smack them over the head with shinyitis, DIY mixing and building coils.

You will not find it amusing if you will loose job find another that pays half what paid previous, have huge medical bills because someone in your family has diabeties T1 and you live in a country that do not have taxpayer paid universal health insurance like in Australia or Canada... and your kid is in college not paid by taxpayers... and your property tax on your house is equal to three months of your income...and renting is not much cheaper as property taxes make rents high.

I was smoker for 43 years and I quit not because of health concerns but rather because smoking become too expensive for my budget... Finding well paying job when you are 60 is not easy... at least where I live... so every dollar saved counts... saved on drop in coils, saved on DIY juice, coffee made in house not from Starbuck, lunches made at home not purchased in Subway , movies watched on you tube instead of theatres etc...

The most often devices discussed on this forum are not high end mods and tanks but economy/ budget ones... see how popular are clones from Fastech? So this means I am not alone.There are plenty of frugal people on this forum and what somebody paid for cigarettes do not have to be excuse to waste money if you do not have to.

My coils with my amount of vaping lasted me less than a week... amount saved on coils can let me buy nice DNA Mod or couple different atties... considering that those savings come with better vape that drop in coil provides I do not see it amusing... Of course I do not insist that people must use RTAs but I think that most people would benefit from using them (not necessarily from economic reasons) and the only reason they do not want to is wrong perception it is much more difficult than tanks with drop in coils...

There is another perception that I have problem with... it is perception that if somebody have been only vaping on a T18 or similar for a week it is not capable vaping RTA... perception that to be able to vape RTA you either have to be rocket scientist or veteran drop in coil/pod user that burned 50 smok coils and replaced 100 pods or other one button AiOs...:D

alvitae

ECF Veteran
    Sep 17, 2009
    Oregon Usa
    There's always two ways of looking at things. I wish when I started vaping someone that has been vaping for 8 or 9 years would have showed me the kindness of taking the time of trying to save me years of hassle and grief, Not to mention a small fortune.

Because that's what I went through. I started vaping 8 years ago. Got fed up with the unsatisfactory vapor, leaky, dry hitting tanks and spending more money on liquid and coils than I ever did smoking and started smoking again. I smoked for years before giving vaping another try. And finally getting something that works and works well for me. A fraction of the cost and less work in the long run.

Colds aren't nothing to fear by the way. They come in the mail pre made. Cost a buck each and last for a month at the very least. 2 screws and it's installed. I'm blind in my left eye. Have cataracts in my right and have what's known as "viking" disease. A thickening, tightening and lumps on the tendons of the hand. And I can do it...

Last edited:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    .. Of course I do not insist that people must use RTAs but I think that most people would benefit from using them (not necessarily from economic reasons) and the only reason they do not want to is wrong perception it is much more difficult than tanks with drop in coils...

There is another perception that I have problem with... it is perception that if somebody have been only vaping on a T18 or similar for a week it is not capable vaping RTA... perception that to be able to vape RTA you either have to be rocket scientist or veteran drop in coil/pod user that burned 50 smok coils and replaced 100 pods or other one button AiOs...:D

This is precisely what this thread is about ;)

@Jebbn just said he was happy using drop-ins and saving a TON of money in comparison to smoking. Good on him :thumb:

No you don't need to be a rocket scientist to build an RDA/RTA.

But you do need the background knowledge and understanding of ohms, different wire types and so on. This knowledge takes time to build.

You also need a good understanding of how to fix various problems that come up in building rtas - this also takes time.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    This has been an interesting conversation and I appreciate everyone’s input and sharing their point of view.

I’ve enjoyed learning about all aspects of vaping on my journey from my 1st vape pen to now multiple RDAs and squonkers. I’m glad I didn’t go from A to Z skipping over everything else. I feel that each step has allowed me to build on each experience which has made me a more knowledgeable vaper.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2018
    Illinois, USA
    No you don't need to be a rocket scientist to build an RDA/RTA.

But you do need the background knowledge and understanding of ohms, different wire types and so on. This knowledge takes time to build.

You also need a good understanding of how to fix various problems that come up in building rtas - this also takes time.

No you do not need "the background knowledge...and so on" What you need is ask couple questions on this forum... :shock:

Example:

Q:I bought Siren2 and have no clue how to install coil can somebody help me?
    A: See this video below.

Q: What wire should I buy to make coils for Siren2?
    A: In the beginning start with simple round Kanthal gauge 26

Q:How big coil should I make?
    A: Make it by wraping 5....or 6.... or 7 wraps around 2.5mm screwdriver and you will get 0.7ohm or 0.8ohm or 0.9ohm coil that works very good in Siren2

Q:What is "ohm"?
    A: I have no clue yet because I vape RTA for only 5 months but it has something to do with resistance but do not ask me what resistance is because I resist answering complicated questions ....

Q:What watts should I use when vaping my Siren2?
    A: start first puff at 8 and go up till you will like number that gives you most enjoyable puff... and please do not ask me what watt is...

And so on.....:D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread