LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
Murdered Out Front.JPG

So here's the neck getting murdered. In order to get a real dark black, I used "blackwash" instead of aniline dye. It's really hard to get rosewood to take on much dye. Standing watch is my new Vindicator 20700 with a Dead Rabbit.
Murdered Out Back.JPG

Here's the back, with a Vindicator clone and a Lemo Drop. It will look a bit different when I am finished.

icepickmaker84

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2019
Indiana
View attachment 846041
So here's the neck getting murdered. In order to get a real dark black, I used "blackwash" instead of aniline dye. It's really hard to get rosewood to take on much dye. Standing watch is my new Vindicator 20700 with a Dead Rabbit.
View attachment 846043
Here's the back, with a Vindicator clone and a Lemo Drop. It will look a bit different when I am finished.

What dye are you using? I used Rit dye for the first time a couple week ago with great success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob B.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2019
goodbye
Thanks! I tried loading an icepick pic but they were all too big so I went with Sven and some tubes lol

You know you can open photos with Paint if you're using windows(I'm sure MacOS has equivalent), and resize the pixel dimensions to make them smaller.

icepickmaker84

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2019
Indiana
You know you can open photos with Paint if you're using windows(I'm sure MacOS has equivalent), and resize the pixel dimensions to make them smaller.

I’m using an iPhone 10something. I have a newer MacBook Pro but I pretty much just print shipping labels with it lol.

Rob B.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2019
goodbye
I’m using an iPhone 10something. I have a newer MacBook Pro but I pretty much just print shipping labels with it lol.

If you’re interested, you can resize pics right on the iPhone with this free app. Very easy to use and auto saves right to camera roll. I have it on my iPhone.

‎Image Size

Sent from my iPhone

icepickmaker84

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2019
Indiana
If you’re interested, you can resize pics right on the iPhone with this free app. Very easy to use and auto saves right to camera roll. I have it on my iPhone.

‎Image Size

Sent from my iPhone

Gonna check that out, thanks!!

Reactions: Rob B.

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
What dye are you using? I used Rit dye for the first time a couple week ago with great success.

For this, I used Saman Wood Stain. Which it really isn't. Stains are pigmented solvent based finishes. This is like whitewash--water, limestone, acrylic and pigment. Here's a guitar that I did in whitewash--the final color is mainly from the finishing oil. It also becomes rock hard if you finish over it with oil.The fretboard of this guitar (Nessa) feels like highly polished marble.

Most commonly, though, I use TransTint wood dye diluted in 100% isopropyl. I'm also using Mixol dyes lately.
DSCN6841.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread