Please Read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdee3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
Mercersburg pa
This is what happens when a smok Groove falls 3 feet off a dresser onto the carpeted floor. To say the least I am very ....... This unit was brand new just got it last night I got up this morning went to grab it off the dressier it fell onto the carpeted floor. It was instantly like a smoke bomb went off in the house.
I grabbed a towel picked up the groove, took it to the sink, grabbed the salt and submerged it with salt water to neutralize the reaction.
Just think if my wife or kid knocked it over and did not know what to do, this would have ended in disaster.

[FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Please if you have one of these units get rid of it there not safe :-( [/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]The problem is that the metal grooves have nothing between the battery pack and the metal case so if it is bumped it can short out to the metal case :-( [/FONT]

IMG_1697.jpg IMG_1699.jpg IMG_1700.jpg IMG_1702.jpg IMG_1703.jpg

mrdee3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
Mercersburg pa
The reasoning behind putting LiPo batts in salt water is simply because the salt helps to make the water more conductive. Immersed in salt water, the cells of a LiPo will slowly discharge until they're completely dead. Each cell will discharge evenly, since each cell's interconnects would be exposed to the salt water solution. The current from one cell wouldn't need to travel through an adjacent cell, which lessens the risk of running current through a damaged cell (and heightening the risk of fire or explosion). And in a runaway reaction the highly conductive salt water quickly discharges the battery without the fire and smoke. The salt also keeps the water basic instead of acidic.

Last edited:

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
The reasoning behind putting LiPo batts in salt water is simply because the salt helps to make the water more conductive. Immersed in salt water, the cells of a LiPo will slowly discharge until they're completely dead. Each cell will discharge evenly, since each cell's interconnects would be exposed to the salt water solution. The current from one cell wouldn't need to travel through an adjacent cell, which lessens the risk of running current through a damaged cell (and heightening the risk of fire or explosion). And in a runaway reaction the highly conductive salt water quickly discharges the battery without the fire and smoke. The salt also keeps the water basic instead of acidic.

thanks! I am amazed that I seem to understand most of that lol
salt water like the ocean? (how salty?)

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)

Would this also apply to other chemistry batteries or just LiPo? Specifically, li-ion, imr and the new hybrid(s)?

Tripster

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
I knew this would happen sometime unfortunately and another reason I will never invest in APV's manufactured in China (only for QC/Safety reasons). You can have all the bells and whistles but in the end, an incident like this...won't be protected from becoming explosive. These Chinese manufacturers simply manufacture than sell without rigorous/in-depth Safety/QC testing/research. What I mean is, they push these out way to quickly just to get profit. In the 2 years or so that I have owned/operated my Super T Mfr Original Precise 18650 w/o venting...I have accidentally abused it (mainly dropping it...unsteady hands)...never exploded (whew...pipe bombs are no joke) and the batteries I was using for the 2 years never had a hiccup (as in venting/overheating/shorting).

We're all paying Alpha/Beta Testers...use caution at all times!

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
The metal Groove has an battery built in - its not a replaceable battery. From what the OP has said there is a design flaw too. This doesn't mean every APV made in China is bad. There are some good ones - and they need to be used with good batteries.
There have been reports of battery meltdowns in pvs made in the USA exploding too btw - doesn't mean every mod made in the USA is bad either.
See here:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ous-question-about-batteries.html#post7954522

Tripster

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
The metal Groove has an battery built in - its not a replaceable battery. From what the OP has said there is a design flaw too. This doesn't mean every APV made in China is bad. There are some good ones - and they need to be used with good batteries.
There have been reports of battery meltdowns in pvs made in the USA exploding too btw - doesn't mean every mod made in the USA is bad either.
See here:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ous-question-about-batteries.html#post7954522

I was merely attempting to give my concerns on the Quality Control/Safety testing/research before releasing to the public, you know the machines that hammer products/puncture products/swing products and the like to intercept these issues/accidents before the public encounters them...of course accidents/issues still arise but far more minimal when these are rigorously tested to their breaking point.

Example, baby cribs...they go through a lot of testing, some get recalled cause of these tests. You wouldn't want to utilize batteries that are manufactured than sent out without rigorous testing would you?

UL | Our Service Categories

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
I was merely attempting to give my concerns on the Quality Control/Safety testing/research before releasing to the public, you know the machines that hammer products/puncture products/swing products and the like to intercept these issues/accidents before the public encounters them...of course accidents/issues still arise but far more minimal when these are rigorously tested to their breaking point.

Example, baby cribs...they go through a lot of testing, some get recalled cause of these tests. You wouldn't want to utilize batteries that are manufactured than sent out without rigorous testing would you?

I never said any such thing. I even linked to this post by Roly http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ous-question-about-batteries.html#post7954522
The Groove has a built in battery - I don't know what battery they use, but also changing from the plastic to the metal casing has been a flaw from the looks of it.

Anyway - your points apply to pvs made in any country. Which is all I was saying. I agree we should use caution with any batteries and pvs. But the OP wasn't to know in this case what would happen either.

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Speculating/assuming that I am following you has resorted me to place you on ignore, feel free to do the same with me.

I mentioned another thread - then removed the mention because I decided to keep it separate. You seem to have posted at the same time. I'm not bothered by your response here - your posts have been a bit personal from my perspective. Vaping on.

Last edited:

mad maori

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
new zealand
ive dropped my evic quite a few times and it still goes- once off the deck- when it landed the flat-top part of battary was all dented in!!! evic still works!!!! pretty freaky about the smoketech though... i mean 3 feet onto carpet and that!!!! wow---...im not a fan of smoktech stuff, mainly because there is no coustomer support and thier stuff is on the el'cheapo side...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread