Post pictures of your working wick and coil setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
My latest builds, already posted on micro coil thread.. on small drippers like the IGO-S, Chyclone, ERA clone..

12 wraps of 28ga Kanthal at 1.24 ohm
12 wraps of 3 strands of 31ga Kanthal hand twisted at 1.2 ohm
9 wraps of Rene 41 wire at 0.98 ohm.

egugy7y7.jpg

pe8amasa.jpg

gatyte7y.jpg

uga7y3a2.jpg

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
3 wrap of 28 ga kanthal, ekowool sleeved ss cable. I think this one is at 1.1 ohms, can't remember the exact number. It hits nice, easily the smoothest and most vapor I've gotten from the RSST.

IMG_20131211_175711.jpg Screenshot_2013-12-11-18-03-21.jpg

The trick to keeping the sleeve from fraying is to torch it really well before cutting, torch and squeeze it after it is put on the cable, then wrap carefully. I have actually rinsed, uncoiled, re-torched, re-wrapped, and dry burned this one 2 or 3 times. I don't think it will survive another re-wrap, but it might.

Last edited:

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah I don't think I'm torching mine enough. I heard that over-torching can dull the flavor of the juice, is that true? Might rewrap it with 3 wraps like you, because 4 wraps is taking a little longer than I like to heat up.
Your resistance is lower, so your rope must be a little thinner. If you are having issues with it heating too slowly, the wraps might be too tight (getting a heatsink effect from the cable). You only need to compress the sleeve slightly for it to effectively supply juice to the coils. I don't think over-torching dulls the flavor... I torch mine a lot and flavor seems fine. Just torch it until it it glows and don't hold it in the flame any longer than that. And like I said, this can be done multiple times without negative effects IME.

My first attempt was a frayed mess as well, but I watched a video tutorial where the guy torched it a lot more than I was doing. After that it has been pretty smooth sailing.

EDIT: I think this is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n83YTTDh-QU . I don't use the pointed mesh to slide it on, I just carefully open up the ekowool after torching it and slowly work the cable inside it. Just make sure there aren't any burrs or loose wires sticking out of the end of the cable. I believe I used a small file to smooth the edges. The other thing is that I don't make a tiny sleeve section right away, I take a full length of ekowool, torch an end and get the rope inserted, then torch it again and cut it to size after it is on. Oh yeah, I should also mention that I cut it with toenail clippers. Scissors don't work very well for me. Lots of torching helps, just be careful not to burn your fingers.

Last edited:

mavric

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Dallas, TX
Your resistance is lower, so your rope must be a little thinner. If you are having issues with it heating too slowly, the wraps might be too tight (getting a heatsink effect from the cable). You only need to compress the sleeve slightly for it to effectively supply juice to the coils. I don't think over-torching dulls the flavor... I torch mine a lot and flavor seems fine. Just torch it until it it glows and don't hold it in the flame any longer than that. And like I said, this can be done multiple times without negative effects IME.

My first attempt was a frayed mess as well, but I watched a video tutorial where the guy torched it a lot more than I was doing. After that it has been pretty smooth sailing.

EDIT: I think this is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n83YTTDh-QU . I don't use the pointed mesh to slide it on, I just carefully open up the ekowool after torching it and slowly work the cable inside it. Just make sure there aren't any burrs or loose wires sticking out of the end of the cable. I believe I used a small file to smooth the edges. The other thing is that I don't make a tiny sleeve section right away, I take a full length of ekowool, torch an end and get the rope inserted, then torch it again and cut it to size after it is on. Oh yeah, I should also mention that I cut it with toenail clippers. Scissors don't work very well for me. Lots of torching helps, just be careful not to burn your fingers.

Thanks for the tips. Followed them and had much better results.

xV8fLmz.jpg

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Dual TP wicks are working great in my single coil RTAs and dual coil cloud maker RTA.
Key is very skinny very long wick through deck hole.
A second wick stays atop deck.
Pull to refresh wick.
New pic:
bFMKjYd.jpg

Old pics (sorry):

Attachments

• DSC_3310.jpg
    DSC_3310.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC_3314.jpg
    DSC_3314.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_3316.jpg
    DSC_3316.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC_3321.jpg
    DSC_3321.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_3324.jpg
    DSC_3324.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 185

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
Probably been answered a thousand times.
I happen to have some Copper wire but am fresh out of Silver wire.
Why not use copper non-resistance wire?

I know your not supposed to smoke out of a copper pipe, so I definitely wouldn't wrap a coil w copper!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread