Post pictures of your working wick and coil setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im having a real hard time keeping my inner cores from turning on me.....what are the best merhods for keeping the middle from turning while staggering?
I tried wood clothes pins, they are to heavy and dosnt clamp onto the wire. Tried key rings and they bend my wire and still twist up.
Tried tape and it takes to long to wrap and unwrap. some of it comes off and loosens up. Whats the secret to making a wide clapton without the wires twisting up?

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Encountering the same issue, it gets even worse if i try to make longer piece than 15-20cm/6-8"...Tried taping it together, but the wires twist anyway.

Clothing pins don´t work either, key rings neither. Just cannot figure out how to manage to hold them flat until i wind the wire far enought to keep the form ...

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
IMG_20170406_113457.jpg

Merlin, 0,25mm 304 SS wire, 3,5mm dia.
Parallel ~12 wrap (didnt count).

Yes, boring. :D

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Encountering the same issue, it gets even worse if i try to make longer piece than 15-20cm/6-8"...Tried taping it together, but the wires twist anyway.

Clothing pins don´t work either, key rings neither. Just cannot figure out how to manage to hold them flat until i wind the wire far enought to keep the form ...

Use a piece of ribbon wire. Wrap it around the cores and use a pair of nylon pliers and squeeze it flat on the cores. If you don't have nylon pliers use a pair of toothless pliers but be careful how hard you squeeze it because it could squeeze it too much and it will be hard to slide the ribbon as you work down the cores. I was having the same issue when wrapping alien coils and saw this on a tutorial on YouTube and have been using it ever since cause it works. Hope this helps you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badinfluence357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2012
NYC
Use a piece of ribbon wire. Wrap it around the cores and use a pair of nylon pliers and squeeze it flat on the cores. If you don't have nylon pliers use a pair of toothless pliers but be careful how hard you squeeze it because it could squeeze it too much and it will be hard to slide the ribbon as you work down the cores. I was having the same issue when wrapping alien coils and saw this on a tutorial on YouTube and have been using it ever since cause it works. Hope this helps you.

Thank you for your help my friend. I will give it try later on and see how it go's.

Reactions: Wheelin247

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Thank you for your help my friend. I will give it try later on and see how it go's.

No worries..happy to help. Hope that works for you. If not try any other kind of small gauge wire but I think you will find the small piece (1"-2") of ribbon works.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Went and got me some first aid water proof adhesive tape for the ends and going to try the ribbon.

What I use is Gorilla Glue black duct tape. I cut off a small strip then cut that strip into a bunch of small strips. I then get my cores set how I want them then use the strips of duct tape to hold them together on both ends. Then split the top (going into the chuck) where I have the 3 "legs" going in between the chuck teeth and I leave 1 core longer than the rest to put the rough the swivel and tie it off. I get the other end into the chuck and then with a pair of toothless pliers I flatten the strip of tap which in turn flattens the cores. At that time I will use the ribbon to wrap around the cores and use the nylon tipped pliers to flatten the ribbon to keep the cores flat as I'm wrapping the claptoned wire. Don't squeeze it too hard or it won't slide easily. It worked for me and I have tried using a clip that you find in a hoodie string to 40g as slider wire. The best thing I've found that works is the ribbon wire. That should get you going no problem. Let me know if it works for you.

Whats the suggested length of wire to work with? 10' folded in half. Someone told me longer the wire the harder it is to clapton or stagg and easier to mess up.

I second that opinion. Longer it gets, easier it is for the wires to twist/disarrange, as you apply more and more torque to them, even as you wrap it (claptoning or stagg). Maybe the easiest will be to do 4-5"(10-12cm) of wire for each coil separately, so we avoid potential problems :) I managed to have it nicely arranged, but only for few cm/inches, like 5/2 or so, but after that the arrangement messed up and i gave up.

The only reason to make them flat is visual appearance, the surface areas and cavities between the cores and wrappings is the same... And with triangular shape i can fit more wraps next to each other, so the total surface area is bigger :) Just my thoughts and some thinking about mathemathics from high school/uni :)

jcash74

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2013
MN
dumb question:

In your personal opinions, what is the best flavor build for lower wattages? ~30-35 watts and I really like single coil builds.

I don't get to ask experts these type of dumb questions without getting ridiculed. I don't feel that way about the community you guys have built here, and look forward to your responses.

The builds I've seen in this thread are amazing and I applaud the art you have all created. I am planning on starting at the very beginning and making this thread my next level in vaping. I can only successfully build twisted coils currently but am watching some videos on making claptons. I've tried a few claptons but can't seem to keep/get the tension right on them yet. At least not for a full 5-6" wire.

/dumb question

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Wheelin247

TimeWellWasted

Apr 11, 2017
wow, some amazing stuff in here. I'm very new to rebuilding and as an electrician I'm interested in trying this myself.
I'm trying to figure out what to get and where to start though, so why not just ask? I should be studying for my job right now and need to get offline and in my books asap :) .

So ehm, suggest me, if you please, a starter pack of wires to order just for the more basic builds, twisted and variations, clapton, nothing to exotic for now. maybe I'll get bored with it before I get there anyway. (I'm currently loving my brand new goon with ss316L in TC mode, if that matters)
Also and forgive me if this has been asked and posted before but could you post some pics of your work bench/area and tools?

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
26 and 32g kanthal are fine for Claptons. 26g is what i vape all the time - it has the right temperature for me and it's easy to work. In your case - just use the SS instead. That's a cooler vape.

Some of these guys are wrapping thinner gauges, but i find them a PITA to 1) see, 2) wrap so other than artistic value they are not much RL vapes.

Practically speaking, i have seen wire from 20g (i have some and it's like a coathanger) to 46g used for coils, but i run a mech setup and so no TC for me. i have to make the coils to meet my vape expectations.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread