Proteus official

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few points.

First, you need thin wire. About .30mm Titanium Grade 1. The Proteus won't work with much thicker than that. You also need to be an expert coil winder. These are tight very coils with multiple 2mm wraps.

Second, on the orange lights. The guide (which I edited) is misleading at beat and wrong at worse. A three second orange light does not (at least always) mean a bad battery. If you time Imeo's orange lights in his demo video, they're three seconds, and he's doing just fine. (I incorrectly reported above that my batteries were bad on the basis of the three second orange light the Proteus shows when you fire it up.) Once the Proteus detects your configuration, it displays an orange light for three seconds (not two, as the guide incorrectly states). While the guide reads that your battery is bad if you get a three second orange light, this is not true. Your battery almost surely isn't bad when you get a three second orange light upon detection.

Third, no 14500 IMR battery I have found (even from reputable sellers like RTD who apparently sell genuine AW batteries) are performing as they should. I have a new battery tester and charger. These batteries are not up to snuff. The batteries have an internal resistance which is far too high, for one. And they don't check out at the reported mAh. They seem to run low by about 50-75 mAh.

Finally, you aren't going to get good vaping life out of the Proteus. With fairly mild vaping, expect to change batteries at least three times per day. If you vape heavily? Well, the device seems to work flawlessly for home vaping if you have plenty of batteries on hand. Taking it out? Nope. Not unless you want to keep a good half dozen (or more) batteries on your person. (The Penny v4 mini tank is also too small for my taste, but of course, you can use other tanks.)

For me, this device doesn't work. It requires far too much battery management and that's the deal breaker. For my wife, it works like a dream as long as she is at home with multiple batteries in constant circulation. I would never take this device out. It's strictly for at-home vaping while you have tons of batteries in a constant charging cycle. It fills that niche flawlessly (once you've figured out how to work the kinks out), but that's a very niche niche.

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
First, you need thin wire. About .30mm Titanium Grade 1. The Proteus won't work with much thicker than that. You also need to be an expert coil winder. These are tight very coils with multiple 2mm wraps.
Funny, in planning for an upcoming post I was going to say the opposite. I would have said that Proteus seems very forgiving as to the coil, my two builds with very sloppy 28 gauge no contact coils over a 3mm mandrel, one 8 wraps and one 9 reading .45 and .6 respectively, both perform great.

The estimate of one tank per battery is about right. You're looking at an average of maybe 2 mL per battery. The Penelope v4 holds 2.5 mL, I think. Get used to battery swapping?

I have mixed feeling about this device. My wife loves it, and it works for her. It doesn't work for me. Not remotely. While it vapes like a dream, I don't want to be locked to two battery chargers for home vaping (or four chargers so I can carry around eight batteries in my pocket at all times.)

I had high hopes for this. Imeo has turned out a device that has made my wife very happy. As for me, I'll be giving up on GG and moving towards TC box mods which run on dual 18650s.

Funny, in planning for an upcoming post I was going to say the opposite. I would have said that Proteus seems very forgiving as to the coil, my two builds with very sloppy 28 gauge no contact coils over a 3mm mandrel, one 8 wraps and one 9 reading .45 and .6 respectively, both perform great.

28 gauge is .32mm. That'll work just fine and is not significantly or interestingly distinguishable from the .30mm I recommended. Imeo stated this, however:

Range of Ti wires sizes that are recommended for atomizers which will go on Proteus: 0,20 mm - 0,50 mm.

If you're using a Penelope v4 Mini, have fun with .50mm wire. It won't work. Perhaps you can get that kind of wire to work with another atomizer, but not with one designed to match the slim design of the Proteus.

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
Tomorrow I'm going to take Proteus and 8 batteries of unknown health to work with me and see what happens.
Tell me, what self-respecting vaper
28 gauge is .32mm. That'll work just fine and is not significantly or interestingly distinguishable from the .30mm I recommended. Imeo stated this, however:

If you're using a Penelope v4 Mini, have fun with .50mm wire. It won't work. Perhaps you can get that kind of wire to work with another atomizer, but not with one designed to match the slim design of the Proteus.
True. I can't imagine using 24g in a Penelope.

Reactions: imeothanasis

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
You didn't complete that thought.
Oh, you're right! ...doesn't have four chargers!
Just to let you know, I like your assessments and agree with most of them. It's just the having to be an expert coil winder part that struck me as in opposition to my experience. I have purposely avoided being an expert coil winder my entire vaping life, it's a chore I despise.

True. I can't imagine using 24g in a Penelope.

Glad we agree! But the whole point of the Proteus was to provide a nice, slim vaping device. So it was, I think, somewhat misleading to suggest that it would work with .50mm wire. It doesn't (unless you're using an atomizer which fattens up the device at the top, which of course results in you vaping a penis-like device, not a nice slim cigarette substitute.)

Oh, you're right! ...doesn't have four chargers!

Got it. Heh. No, I don't have four chargers. I have one charger which charges four batteries at a time. To make the Proteus work in my household, I'd need to have four chargers which charge four batteries at a time and I'd need to be carting around six to eight batteries at a time. For at-home vaping (if you have enough batteries on hand), the Proteus rocks. No question. My wife will be using both of our two Proteus's. And she loves it. I'll be moving on to TC box mods with better battery life.

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
Got it. Heh. No, I don't have four chargers. I have one charger which charges four batteries at a time. To make the Proteus work in my household, I'd need to have four chargers which charge four batteries at a time and I'd need to be carting around six to eight batteries at a time. For at-home vaping (if you have enough batteries on hand), the Proteus rocks. No question. My wife will be using both of our two Proteus's. And she loves it. I'll be moving on to TC box mods with better battery life.

It also really depends on how you vape. Unfortunately my proteus didn't get here in time before I leave on vacation so I don't have any personal experience with it. However, judging from my other TC mods, if you vape MTL, you save significantly on battery life and juice consumption; you also get more flavour :D

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Glad we agree! But the whole point of the Proteus was to provide a nice, slim vaping device. So it was, I think, somewhat misleading to suggest that it would work with .50mm wire. It doesn't (unless you're using an atomizer which fattens up the device at the top, which of course results in you vaping a penis-like device, not a nice slim cigarette substitute.)
Health, Proteus IS a nice, slim vaping device. The vaping time with 14500 is not as in a mod with a 18650 device or as in a dual 18650 device!, we all know that. But the purpose was to make happy people that are not vaping crocodiles (including me of course)

Soon I will make 14650 tubes for Proteus, so the vaping time will be increased by 50%, so more people will be happy with Proteus's vaping time.

As for the 0,5 wire, this is a specification for VIR, not for Proteus. Maybe I have to remove it from Proteus specifications. But I think its not on Proteus's specifications already

SSG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2011
Evans, GA
I finally got Proteus to vape, but the the light blinks red with every drag off of it. I only get between 4 and 10 hits off of each battery before it says my battery is too low to vape, and that's at the lowest possible temperature setting. I have 7 batteries of different age and mAh that I keep cycling through. They are all genuine AW batteries.

It's getting a little frustrating, so I just keep going back to my JGG/Ithaka combo.

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
I finally got Proteus to vape, but the the light blinks red with every drag off of it. I only get between 4 and 10 hits off of each battery before it says my battery is too low to vape, and that's at the lowest possible temperature setting. I have 7 batteries of different age and mAh that I keep cycling through. They are all genuine AW batteries.

It's getting a little frustrating, so I just keep going back to my JGG/Ithaka combo.
So far I have found two decent batteries out of the 12 I had, with 5 to go.
It seems to me that Proteus' greatest limitation is the variability of the 14500. If you find a good one, it makes all the difference!

steliosss

kindness always repays... be sure of that...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2012
Athens - Greece (GG land)
www.e-smokeguru.gr

It's been said before... only NEW genuine AW batteries would work!
Unfortunately I throw away 4 AW two years old :(
Βut Proteus works fine now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread