The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Provari on an Oscope vs Vamo

Discussion in 'ProVari' started by GrimmTech, Feb 14, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Signature Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 9, 2012
    Woodburn, OR
    Well played...I actually had to look up Godwin's Law. That was some pretty cool stuff and I'm going to have to remember that one. The Google-fu was strong in me today. :p

2. denali_41

denali_41 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Over Der
    oh krap chit :D

this debate about people trying to convince themselves the Vamo is any where near as good as Provari is still going

apparently it is a losing battle ,since this thread is still active

3. PLANofMAN

Dec 9, 2012
    Woodburn, OR
    Nah. We're back to the old, "Can the Vamo keep a steady coil temperature (on anything but a Genisis wick setup)?" discussion. That and everything else was already hashed out to almost everyone's satisfaction.

4. Koman

Koman Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 7, 2010
    lv
    I think each has its pros and cons!

5. angryguy77

angryguy77 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    What's funny is a thread started to prove the superiority of a $200 American made device over a much cheaper Chinese made product.
    Newsflash: Vamo owners know the Provari is a superior product. It should be for the price and quality manufacturing.

6. PLANofMAN

Dec 9, 2012
    Woodburn, OR
    It was started to compare the chipsets between the two devices. The externals and build quality were irrelevant to the op's discussion.

7. motox

motox Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 30, 2010
    Poinciana, FL
    Aesthetics and non tangible factors (yay, made in the USA!) are important to the purchasing decision - no argument there. Strip all of that away and just look at performance and I maintain that there isn't a heck of a lot of difference. Tempted to do a "Pepsi Challenge" thing with some of my vaping buddies. Put on a blindfold, set the Provari and the Z at 4.5 volts and use the same carto tank. I would of course hold the device and push the button to eliminate giving anything away. Wonder how that kind of thing would turn out?

ON EDIT - a few hours after the original post. This drives me NUTS. Over the past week or so I have been testing this theory and have had both my Provari (lovely silver with blue LED) and my SS Z-Max charged and with me at my desk. I want to be able to make a definitive judgment (yes, I can be indecisive) so that one of these bad boys can be "the one"

I just can't seem to do it.

From a performance standpoint, I honestly cannot tell a difference. They both provide a rousing vape given equivalent carto tanks. The ProVari does feel "sturdier" (as in heavier). The Z is more comfortable in my hand and thinner. I like the feel of the button on the Z but I also like that the button on the ProVari glows a pretty blue. VW on the Z is a nice feature as I rotate tanks that have varying resistances in their respective cartomizers but ultimately, it's a "meh" - a few steps up or down on the ProVari and it's all the same.

Did I mention the pretty blue glowing fire button on the ProVari? :)

The net for me is that I wish that I could see a more definitive difference between the two overall. If I could, it would be easier to donate/sockdrawer/define as "backup" one or the other. But I cannot. Sometimes I prefer the ProVari, other times I prefer the Z based on the aesthetic factor alone. They both vape like little smokehouses.

8. denali_41

Aug 7, 2011
    Over Der

OH MY GOD !! how long did it take you to find that ?? really now

imo,,this really wasn't a fair test,,testing a Provari against any Chinese made mod is not a fair test,plain and simple

100 pages !!

9. CountSmackula

CountSmackula Genisis Junkie Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2012
    Tabasco LAnd
    100 pages? Odd. I only see 9...

10. PLANofMAN

Dec 9, 2012
    Woodburn, OR
    Throw them both at a brick wall five times. Pick the one that still works. :p

11. denali_41

Aug 7, 2011
    Over Der
    you couldn't find anymore then 9 fingers ??

12. CountSmackula

Jan 16, 2012
    Tabasco LAnd
    332 posts on 9 pages... with more room on this page for posts from the looks of it.

13. denali_41

Aug 7, 2011
    Over Der
    you must have changed to 36 posts per page to only be at the ninth page,i'm standard setting on page 34

14. CountSmackula

Jan 16, 2012
    Tabasco LAnd
    Must have done it early on. It's been like this as long as I can remember.

15. Alexis Damianidis

Alexis Damianidis Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Oct 11, 2012
    GREECE
    as i can see more hz- 800hz provari- mean smoother vaping, reduce the ''rattlsnake''phenomenon and overall give better performance.
    Do we know the hz of the dna 20d and nivel?

16. yzer

yzer Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2011
    Northern California
    How do you tell the 800hz gives better vaping performance by using an oscilloscope? Does an o-scope vape? Does a readout show up on the 'scope that flashes this vapes better?

What this line of pro-Provari argument ignores is thermodynamics of the coil itself which operates as an analog device. The coil does not switch instantaneously between a heated and cold state 37 or 800 times per second. Rather, a coil heats and cools over time and smooths the effect of pulsed DC used in PWM devices.

If you buy this line of argument against the effect of PWM on heating coils used in vaping then you must accept the fact that a $20 mechanical mod like a Bolt by Smoktech is going to provide far superior vapor than a Provari. The Bolt eliminates the pulsed DC entirely providing a pure DC output to the coil.

17. DrMA

DrMA Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Seattle area
    You should experience the power and smoothness of OKR-T/6 mods - 600kHz modulation frequency. That's almost 800 times faster than Provari. For all intents and purposes, smooth as a mech.

18. Alexis Damianidis

Alexis Damianidis Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Oct 11, 2012
    GREECE
    so there is no need to check the hz of a pwm device before buying it?
    what makes vaping smoother?

19. denali_41

Aug 7, 2011
    Over Der
  20. garyd

garyd Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    idaho
    Longest Provari vs Vamo thread in the history of mankind, will it ever end?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.