Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
Using PWM doesn't mean a device is not true VV. I don't know where all of this is coming from. PWM (or voltage switching technology) is a clever way of manipulating voltage and has been around a long time and is used in more devices than you can imagine. PWM is not a bad word!

Just in case I gave you the impression I thought that, I don't. I was commenting on what another poster was saying. Nothing wrong with PWM at all.

Flyer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Illinois
Just in case I gave you the impression I thought that, I don't. I was commenting on what another poster was saying. Nothing wrong with PWM at all.

Oh, I wasn't even thinking of one of your posts when I said that. It was just alarming to hear so many expressing doubts about their devices based on using PWM. Thanks though!

Flyer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Illinois
Flyer, its good to hear that. Some good information i should read up on. To this information it would seem the only difference between provari and ego twist is the range, well and the display. Or am i wrong?? Either way thanks for that info, going to read up on it so i can answer on future questions like this.

A little more. Twist is limited to 2.5 amps, Provari 3.5 amps. Twist will let you set the dial anywhere you wand and simply deliver as much as it can. You won't really know if it is giving you what you set. Provari will tell you if you have set a voltage it can't deliver accurately. This is one of the things you pay for in the more expensive device. Does it really matter? IDK, but, I have both, and it just seems better to me when I know I have hit a limit rather than trying to guess if I taste/sense anything has changed.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
To this information it would seem the only difference between provari and ego twist is the range, well and the display. Or am i wrong??
No, there are a lot of differences, the amp limit being one of them as mentioned above.

Other differences are as follows...
--The Provari can tell you the resistance of the atomizer/cartomizer you are using
--The Provari can tell you the charge left in your battery
--The Twist does not have a display to help tune your voltage

I have a Twist, and I really like it, but I do have a lot of problems setting the voltage.

Some say just twist it until it hits the way you want it to, and there is plenty of wisdom in that suggestion.
But in the dark I have a hard time with it, and even when I get it where I want it, I would like to know where that is for a given juice.

So yes, you'll pay more for a Provari, but you'll get some added features that may or may not be worth it to you.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm going to go back and read up on this thread, but I thought I'd add in my reasons for buying a Provari after a year of saying it was too expensive and 5 clicks to get into the menu was ridiculous.

First, the price steered me away until I realized that it corresponded to the amount I spent monthly for my carton a week habit while smoking.

Second, once I got it, I realized that the menu is a breeze after the first day and I only had to get into it if I needed to change the voltage or check my battery level or check that my atomizer resistance was as advertised. Now it seems natural. I had to click 5 times to turn my eGo on or off. Past that, it was just selecting the function I needed.

Third, it's remarkably accurate in maintaining voltage no matter what coil resistance I use. If I set it at 4.0v with a 3 ohm carto and install my inline digital voltmeter, it reads 3.99v. If I set it at 4.0 volts with a 1.5 ohm dual coil, it reads the same.

If my carto is shorted, I get an E1 code. It produces a list of fault codes that indicate various conditions. I've only seen those a couple of times and there really was a coil resistance problem on a carto out of the box.

It's all stainless steel including the threads for the battery cap. That means it will last and the threads won't wear out over time. It's heavy at 9 ounces, but soon becomes a normal, solid feel. I also like the one year warranty. I send if back, they fix it and pay for the return shipping. For $24.95, you can extend that to two years. I don't generally buy extended warranties, but I did in this case. I can't buy the parts to repair it myself.

As with any good vv device, every vape is the same as the last. I'd buy another one, although there's some competition hitting the market that will probably reshape the playing field. A year from now the ecig world will be full of vv devices that look like the Provari and life for vapers will be much more interesting. I have several ecigs and use them at various times, but I always go right back to the Provari.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I hate to sound like a Provari fanboy, but at the risk of being called one, I'll post what I've found out about the Vmax warranty. The sites that sell them offer 14 to 30 days in backing up the manufacturers warranty. I guess that would mean that for 14 to 30 days, depending on the vendor, they will replace it if it breaks. After that, there's the remainder of a one year warranty from the manufacturer which is Smoktech ... in China. A couple of the vendors say that they will assist you in getting it to China and back, but you have to pay the shipping to China both ways.

I really hesitated in posting this information here and I really think the Vmax is a major competitor to the similarly featured VV mods these days. It's made of brass, not aluminum, which means it will last much longer than most ecigs. Brass is made to last. I'm glad to see this kind of competition. It will foster more features, better quality, and a bonus for all of us plus price pressures on the players in the market for VV mods.

I just thought that everyone should know that after a short period, it seems that getting it to China and back for repair is on the user.

I went to the Smoktech site to check further. I found this.

http://www.smoktech.com/

About Us
Shenzhen SMOK Technology Co., LTD is a division, which belongs to Mother Company of Shenzhen Lanxin Hardware Products Co., LTD. Our headquarter (mother company) established in 2001, now is one of the biggest manufacturers of hair straightener fittings. As a professional manufacturer of hair straightener fittings, Shenzhen SMOK Technology Co., LTD quickly built a solid reputation based on the fashionable design, mature technology and exceptional reliability of its products. This successful beginning fueled a rapid expansion into the electronic products market

At $94.95 on sale, it seems kind of pricy for the vendor not to honor the warranty from the manufacturer. Some say that they will assist in getting it there and back on your dime. That's fair, but it sounds like a lengthy proposition. I went to Smoktech's site and used their address to calculate shipping costs with UPS. It gave me the resulting page, but the cost column was empty. USPS.com calculates $47.95 one way to China using the international super saver shipping box that we get our ecig supplies in when we order.

I don't know why I went to the trouble to do this, but it became a curiosity to me after a while to find out the facts. :)

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I really hope not. The button/menu you got used to is a deal breaker for me when there are so many valid options available.

There are always options in the free market. Companies use all sorts of things to woo us into trying their product. The best ecig will prevail and they all know it. That's why it's such a good deal for the consumer. Once you get used to something it becomes your natural solution. Trying something new means getting used to something else. We are all creatures of habit.

The button menu only looks complicated. After you do it two or three times, it seems natural, although I'd like a touch menu with everything on an AMOLED type screen in color like a cell phone.

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I really hope not. The button/menu you got used to is a deal breaker for me when there are so many valid options available.

I'm really beginning to worry about you, Mostapha, and your longstanding and obvious obsession with The Button. I was away for weeks yet I come back to find you are still significantly bothered by this harmless little creature. I fear you might have an affliction henceforth to be known as Buttonomnia.

From positive perspective though, I believe that this might also qualify you for SSDI under the new Affordable Care Act. You should look into that.

Regards,
Binder & Binder
(operators are standing by)

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
Some people would think the one button is better then 2,3, or 4 of them. I would also like to have tried a Buzz Pro. Might like the wheel better then the button. I bought two ProV's. I know they work well and are easy to use after like 2 minutes of reading or YT video. At any rate, I dont hate anything or anyone. My cup is half full.

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn

I predict you will own one, soon. You seem positively obsessed with the provari and talking yourself out of it.

I like the + and - buttons on my vtube. I like most everything else about the provari better. And really...the button isn't hard. You will know soon enough. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread