Provari vs eGo Twist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rusalka

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
USA
Here is something else to consider when comparing the two units.

The room mate closed her ego twist in the card door, when it was in the purse, and it is now dented. Whereas the provari is built to last. One nice piece of metal, a good thick wall to it.

If you want a cheap unit that is not meant to take a beating, then the ego twist is your unit. If you want something to last, barring any electronics failure, the provari is the unit for you. It is my all day vape currently.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I think the title of this thread is perhaps ill-chosen---"ProVari vs eGo Twist." That "David-Goliath win-lose cage-match" tone can all too easily become contentious.

Communicating via written word in forums such as ECF can be challenging, especially when the posts are short. Even adding "in my opinion," or "in my personal experience" is sometimes not enough to keep statements from coming off like dogmatic rules that apply to everyone, which is guaranteed to raise other people's hackles. Then---feeling dismissed or belittled---the knee-jerk response is to mock the other or prove him wrong.

My take on this is that the "vaping experience" certainly does involve some relatively objective criteria---hardware, juices, voltage, etc.---but that it is shaped even more by an unlimited number of subjective and inevitably personal variables, many of which we may not even be conscious of in ourselves. As a result, terms such as "better vape" are risky at best, since they reduce something infinitely complex to the simplistically formulaic.

I can understand how the implementation of user controls/adjustments in an APV may be critically important to some people but not to others. Both positions seem to me valid and real, and either might influence what devices one buys and uses. How much weight that particular judgment has depends on the individual. But it's not a right/wrong, good/bad thing.

This thread could be exploring some interesting territory in the evolution of vaping through these two devices. For instance, the eGo Twist builds on an existing framework---the eGo form factor---that is successful but limited, and, by adding true variable voltage, increases the possibilities for expanded use in ways that can increase our enjoyment of vaping. On the other hand, it's still a device that can't be used during recharging. The ProVari's constant what-you-set-is-what-you-get voltage regulation is also brilliant. On the other hand, conscientious customer service may be a big ProVari plus, but ProVape darn well better offer terrific customer service for the price of the device.

Those and other features/liabilities can be tossed around at length without any poster or competing device getting flamed. Yeah, I know---when pigs fly. LOL.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Maybe I was premature in posting the $47.95 one way shipping price to China for warranty repair/replacement. Maybe there's a deal I have heard about yet. If I were Smoktech or any other company in China who was trying to compete with high end U.S. hardware, I'd work a deal with my stateside vendors to ship the replacements at a sufficient rate to allow the vendor to handle warranty replacements without hassle.

Last edited:

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
Have you ever tried to return anything to China?
I have, and I'll never forget the experience
That is why I will no longer buy anything that ships from China, I won't even consider it
As for a warranty that requires you to send the item to China, believe me, you are better off without a warranty
Forget about it

There are good reasons why Chinese companies operate this way
They aren't interested in changing anything
If it were easy the send the crap they sell us back to them, it would cost them a bundle

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Okay…a few quick responses.

The button/menu is NOT like the placement of a cup holder in a car. It's more like the placement of a gear shifter. In cars, it's an auto vs. manual thing, but in both…some people play with them a lot. Others leave them alone.

If I owned a provari, I'd find "good enough" and leave it there. But I don't want to vape like that. I want to adjust it to how my coil's going at that point in it's life, how hot it is outside, how warm the coil is (from how often I've been hitting it), how my mouth and throat feel, etc.. These aren't "occasional" adjustments. They're things I adjust all the time.

There's no doubt in my mind that a provari can give a more satisfying vape to more people than a simple unregulated mod. But I think it would be a downgrade from what I already have.

Switching to a provari (or a kick) would take that kind of moment-based adjustment off the table.

Checking resistance has zero real value. If it vapes, it vapes. Either my batt will provide the right voltage or not.

Checking battery level has zero real value to me. When it blinks instead of firing, you change batteries. When the vape gets weak, you change batteries. The only thing having a meter does is give you a false sense of security, leading you to leave your backup or charger at home.

And I've dropped my twist a time or two. It still adjusts and fires.

The point of this thread is comparing the twist and the provari. With the price difference, the twist wins. If the provari cost $25, I'd deal with the garbage interface. I'd the twist cost $200, I'd buy something else.

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
A Prov does not cost $200 though. Mine cost $160 with battery's brand new. I have a charger for it already. My first ProV was in great shape and I sold it for $150 with battery's and a charger. Not every Provari is high $. You cant say much for the resale on a Twist though. Dont see any used ones for sale. Maybe they break? Or we can assume no one wants to sell one but that's probably not correct.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
If it were easy the send the crap they sell us back to them, it would cost them a bundle
I've bought over 85 atomizers from Heaven Gifts and Health Cabin, and so far in three years I have used about 8 of them.
They were all standard Joye 510 atomizers, if that matters.

Anyway, not one of those 8 failed to work, and not one of those 8 died in a premature way.
The longest lasting one went 8 months, and the shortest lifespan was 2 weeks.

So I guess it just depends on what you buy, and where you buy it from.
Unless of course one should consider all Chinese companies to be equivalent, or all Chinese atomizers.

Last edited:

dDubs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
Buffalo, NY
First, I want to know how meems burns through an 18350 in 3 hours!?!? Crazy lol.

To my main point, and as I've said in an earlier post, I have both and both are great. They do the same thing, but at the same time they don't. But here is what I want to know, and everyone please chime in- a big reason I bought my provari (mini) is so when I go into my vape store and set it on the counter, people say ohhh is that the provari?? Honestly I did want to have the fancy PV, and couldn't settle for the base model, got black with blue LED. So I'm curious, who else partly just wanted to be able to say they 'have a provari'? I'd be lying if I said that wasn't part of the reason I got it.

Kremppie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
McKinney TX
@ Pappy...very good point. I don't think the Provari is that expensive. I think some have bought the vmax because it is cheaper. I did see one for around $90, but I don't remember where. The vmax sells for $128...at least that is what I have seen. That is only $30 less than Provari. And cigarettes are $60 a carton, and I have bought a few of those before.

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
First, I want to know how meems burns through an 18350 in 3 hours!?!? Crazy lol.

To my main point, and as I've said in an earlier post, I have both and both are great. They do the same thing, but at the same time they don't. But here is what I want to know, and everyone please chime in- a big reason I bought my provari (mini) is so when I go into my vape store and set it on the counter, people say ohhh is that the provari?? Honestly I did want to have the fancy PV, and couldn't settle for the base model, got black with blue LED. So I'm curious, who else partly just wanted to be able to say they 'have a provari'? I'd be lying if I said that wasn't part of the reason I got it.
I didn't get mine to show it off. I got mine cause I had a lot of issues with the Mini E-cigs I had before. I didn't want it for looks. I only wanted reliability and options. I had already spent over $200 on something I hated and did not do what I expected. I was still new and only had a few options cause of that. So I picked something that I heard a lot about and committed to it. It never once let me down so I never felt like I made the wrong choice or that the choice could have been better. I just enjoyed it.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I'm going to go back and read up on this thread, but I thought I'd add in my reasons for buying a Provari after a year of saying it was too expensive and 5 clicks to get into the menu was ridiculous.

First, the price steered me away until I realized that it corresponded to the amount I spent monthly for my carton a week habit while smoking.

Second, once I got it, I realized that the menu is a breeze after the first day and I only had to get into it if I needed to change the voltage or check my battery level or check that my atomizer resistance was as advertised. Now it seems natural. I had to click 5 times to turn my eGo on or off. Past that, it was just selecting the function I needed.

Third, it's remarkably accurate in maintaining voltage no matter what coil resistance I use. If I set it at 4.0v with a 3 ohm carto and install my inline digital voltmeter, it reads 3.99v. If I set it at 4.0 volts with a 1.5 ohm dual coil, it reads the same.

If my carto is shorted, I get an E1 code. It produces a list of fault codes that indicate various conditions. I've only seen those a couple of times and there really was a coil resistance problem on a carto out of the box.

It's all stainless steel including the threads for the battery cap. That means it will last and the threads won't wear out over time. It's heavy at 9 ounces, but soon becomes a normal, solid feel. I also like the one year warranty. I send if back, they fix it and pay for the return shipping. For $24.95, you can extend that to two years. I don't generally buy extended warranties, but I did in this case. I can't buy the parts to repair it myself.

As with any good vv device, every vape is the same as the last. I'd buy another one, although there's some competition hitting the market that will probably reshape the playing field. A year from now the ecig world will be full of vv devices that look like the Provari and life for vapers will be much more interesting. I have several ecigs and use them at various times, but I always go right back to the Provari.

I just have to respond to this because the post is so spot on.

As a person who has reviewed the Twist and Provari, bear in mind I'm a fan of both devices. If you are a low wattage vaper you'll not be able to really see a difference between the two when it comes to vape quality.

But I've had my Provari for about a year- and it really is a Cadillac. The twist on the other hand is truly regulated, and to me that is the most important property of any e-cig at this point. Regulation.

Neither of these devices is a loser. But I'm not sure they can really be compared effectively. They vape essentially the same at low wattages. You really can't argue based on those points.

You can do the features/price argument- which is difficult too because of the wide difference in price.

Here's how I figure it assuming you are a low watt vaper:

1. eGo Twist 1000mAh. Figure $20 to $27 per unit. How many will you kill in a year?

2. Provari: $160, plus 3 or 4 18350 AW batteries and a charger. I'll price it high and say the total package with Provari is $210.

Based on my heavy vaping use (and the actual number of batteries I've used over the years) I would go through 5 twists in a year. Two would die of abuse, and three would die from failure.

Total hardware cost using the twist (first year): Around $125.00

Total hardware cost using the Provari (first year): Around $210.00

Actual first year cost difference of the Provari Vs. Twist: $85.00 More for the Provari

Assuming the costs stay the same or close- the second year looks like this:

Cost of twist (I'm buying 5 more twists): $125.00 Plus tax and shipping.

Cost of Provari (I'm buying 3 or 4 more AW 18490s): $44.00 plus tax and shipping.

Difference in cost during the second year: $81.00 cheaper for the Provari.

So for myself, after the initial review of the twist ( eGo-C Twist: Engineering Sample/Basic Volt Test - YouTube ), I didn't stock up on twists because they would actually cost more against my current Provari setup. Speaking for myself, the extra features of the Provari are not only nice, but once you have them it's hard to do without them.

Anyway that's my internal math on the subject. I'm a fanboi of both devices. I think it's really wonderful, that these days we have arguments about "what vapes better" compared to the arguments we used to have a couple of years ago: "What sucks less".

superegot

Unregistered Supplier
May 17, 2012
malta
Great comparison i am a TWIST user and infact my twist just stopped working a week ago and i switched back to my normal battery. man i miss the VV. now i was looking at the lavatube whihc seems like a good choice.
or else i would have to buy 2 or 3 more twists.

What are your opinions?

Vaping in my house with lavatube i dont mind but vaping outside in public would prefer something like a 900 Mah twist due to its slim and smaller size unless someone can message me with some ideas.

cheers

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Great comparison i am a TWIST user and infact my twist just stopped working a week ago and i switched back to my normal battery. man i miss the VV. now i was looking at the lavatube whihc seems like a good choice.
or else i would have to buy 2 or 3 more twists.

What are your opinions?

Vaping in my house with lavatube i dont mind but vaping outside in public would prefer something like a 900 Mah twist due to its slim and smaller size unless someone can message me with some ideas.

cheers

Well- I own a Lavatube, Kick, and Provari. Had a Darwin for a month or so for review. I don't think the Lavatube is bad at all. Especially for the price. But it's not exactly indestructible.

I did a 3 part 4 way comparison here (Part 3 really details my personal options):

Regulated Vaping: Lavatube/Provari/Darwin/Kick (part 1) - YouTube

Regulated Vaping: Lavatube/Provari/Darwin/Kick (part 2) - YouTube

Regulated Vaping: Lavatube/Provari/Darwin/Kick (part 3) - YouTube

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Cozz, I really enjoyed that review, btw.

But I'm wondering what you meant when you made the low-power comment. If the data I've seen on the Twist is accurate and the current limiting works the what that I (experimentally) think it does……I'm vaping around 11W with it. It's possible I'm not getting that because I don't have a good way to measure how the resistance of my atomizers/cartomizers change while being powered (effective resistance drops at high voltage……not sure exactly where that happens) but it's fairly consistent between putting different things on it.

11W is not low-power. It actually has me wondering if something weird is happening……'cuz if I'm actually getting what I think I'm getting, I might be disappointed in a Kick……which doesn't seem right.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Cozz, I really enjoyed that review, btw.

But I'm wondering what you meant when you made the low-power comment. If the data I've seen on the Twist is accurate and the current limiting works the what that I (experimentally) think it does……I'm vaping around 11W with it. It's possible I'm not getting that because I don't have a good way to measure how the resistance of my atomizers/cartomizers change while being powered (effective resistance drops at high voltage……not sure exactly where that happens) but it's fairly consistent between putting different things on it.

11W is not low-power. It actually has me wondering if something weird is happening……'cuz if I'm actually getting what I think I'm getting, I might be disappointed in a Kick……which doesn't seem right.

The comment is more from the standpoint that "I" am a low watt vaper. So I'm unable to talk about higher wattage situation and any unique issues that come up when people use these devices.

I think geekgirlvaper on youtube did some tests which might help you clarify.

cerver7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Shamong NJ
Same. I would bet money that no one in my circle knows what a provari is.

Same here lol. Was at a friends BBQ today and people saw my chrome proV 2 and were like "why did you bring your electric tooth brush??" then a very crude but funny friend was like "that ain't his tooth brush...it's his wife's 'ladies toy'" was funny. But then I explained what it was and they all were like ".........um.......expensive......Cadillac of electronic cigarettes.....yeah good luck with that. "

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Cozz, I've watched just about every review you've done on YouTube (that I've found) and enjoyed them all.

I haven't ordered a Twist, although I looked hard at it before ordering a Provari. I vaped an eGo for about two years before deciding I wanted variable voltage. I ordered a plastic box VV mod that used two 14500 batteries just to try VV and see how I liked it. I just about vaped myself silly the first day, inhaling and exhaling huge clouds of vapor like I've never seen before. After a while, I got into dizzy nic overload and had to back off!

The box mod convinced me that I needed VV. I studied all the options, watched YouTube videos, read reviews, and searched ECF for user comments on all my short list mods. It finally hit me that I could get a Provari for about $160, which was about 4 cartons of cigs, and jumped. I added the batteries, an 18650 extension cap, and the second year warranty. The price jumped up to about $220 with shipping for the satin Provari.

When it came in, I was convinced I made the right choice. Any decent VV mod that can provide constant voltage and current load for dual coils will give you a good vape. The Provari isn't much different. It's just built like a tank and the electronics are well designed and accurate. I won't spend any more for two years, even if it breaks, except to ship it one way to Provape for repair if it malfunctions. When an electronics upgrade hits, they will upgrade mine cheaply. V1 users are getting upgraded to V2 now for about $25.

The more I spend, the more I want a U.S. address when I need repair assistance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread