Random DIY mixing and More

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I don't use a lot of raspberry flavors but I have several. TFA Raspberry Sweet, which I know you wouldn't like, works well in lemonades. I like FA Raspberry with grapefruit flavors and don't get a floral note from it at 2%. At least to my tastes, it is a pretty natural ripe raspberry. INW Malina is the strongest and a little goes a long way. VTA Shisha Raspberry is thick and jammy but not candy sweet - there is a tartness to it. I know, not much help. I really only use raspberry flavors as accents.
    Thanks, Pam:) That’s helpful

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    When I post a recipe, I usually use the names that E L R uses. Sometimes BCF drops the flowery descriptive names like Mild Winter which is just peppermint. BCF is the only US vendor for VT flavors if I am not mistaken which makes them best for me. I occasionally order from Chefs if they are running a 30% off sale and I need something I can't get here or want to take advantage of their lower prices on rebranded FA flavors (Flavour Creative.)

Have fun!

Thanks so much for that info!

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I just looked and I have 12 raspberry flavors for some reason. I honestly don’t know which I like best. I used tfa for a long time and liked it. I most likely bought them for different recipes along the way.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    When I first tried DIY, I just got some TFA flavors (I had no idea about brands) I was disappointed with the Lemon but recently got Lemon Sicily and they work well together. Same for Berry Mix (nothing against it, just I like darker berries) I got PUR Boysenberry preserves (which is OK for a "jam") and the Berry Mix brightened it up. I don't have much to work with but made the best of it anyway.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I was thinking I should play around with some different ones and wonder if it would work if I mixed a big bottle of the Honduran to steep and then later added the different raspberry flavors to see which I like best. Or do I need to let the raspberry steep with the tobacco?

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I just looked and I have 12 raspberry flavors for some reason. I honestly don’t know which I like best. I used tfa for a long time and liked it. I most likely bought them for different recipes along the way.
    What are the 12??

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I was thinking I should play around with some different ones and wonder if it would work if I mixed a big bottle of the Honduran to steep and then later added the different raspberry flavors to see which I like best. Or do I need to let the raspberry steep with the tobacco?
    My preference would be to steep them together but that’s just me.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    When I first tried DIY, I just got some TFA flavors (I had no idea about brands) I was disappointed with the Lemon but recently got Lemon Sicily and they work well together. Same for Berry Mix (nothing against it, just I like darker berries) I got PUR Boysenberry preserves (which is OK for a "jam") and the Berry Mix brightened it up. I don't have much to work with but made the best of it anyway.
    Think about what you’d like to try for mixes and you can get a better idea what you need for flavors.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    @FranC, I know you said you were done thinking about raspberries, but I found the following in my notes and thought you might be interested:

@AngeNZ says, "1% FA Raspberry and 3% PUR Raspberry - after a 3 day steep the florals are gone, and I've got a ripe, plump juicy raspberry that is perfect."

@Letitia has had this to say about raspberries, "INW raspberry Malina and shisha. Both singles are good. Have only used them is one mix, the malina is strong. I'll have to drop it down to .75%. Between the two they make for a nice raspberry and steep faster than Purilum. For creams I believe I will stick with the Purilum and FA beryl. The INW and RF for me will most likely be for straight up fruit mixes or bakery blends.

"Purilum Raspberry is beautiful. Just a good clean fruit, will take over a mix with long steeps if use above 2%. 3% is my sweet spot for a simple raspberry & cream.

"Purilum raspberry shines brighter with a steep, one of my favorite raspberries. Word of caution, it gets stronger with time and can take over at 3%. That's a good percentage for a small batch though. Stands up beautifully with heavy creams. Okay in 10 days, enough to tell if you'll like it. Just keeps getting better, about 4w is where I like it. I'll mix 90ml 2.3% with creams, cheesecakes, pull off 15ml to vape and forget the rest for a few weeks. With straight fruit mixes 1-3% depending on where I want the raspberry to sit., week is usually enough for those. I would do a pairing with your boysenberry. The Purilum is bright and not candy sweet imo. I add 2 drops raspberry to the 15ml I pull off the 90ml."

And here are @PJReid's flavor notes on raspberry:

FLAVOUR ART

FA Berryl Raspberry

Tested at 2%. HIC’s Notes: "This is a little stronger than most FA flavors, and it tends to make itself noticed in recipes, so go light with it. Even 0.5% can stand out in a recipe with mild flavors, and 2% will overwhelm most recipes. This is a natural berry flavor with mostly sweet and a little fresh-tart flavor. It is not candy-sweet, but it’s easily made into candy flavors when used with sweeter flavors. “ It is a fairly full raspberry, both sweet and tart. It tastes like a VERY ripe raspberry. I do pick up some floral notes. The sweetness doesn’t go to syrupy, the tart is mild. The flavor itself is strong so more than a little would overpower a mix. What I don’t like are the floral, bitter notes. Best at 1% in a mix.

INAWERA

INW Raspberry (Malina)

Tested at 2%. This is, to my taste, an authentic raspberry – perfectly ripe. Some people tasted a jammy, candy flavor. To me, it is a bit tart and fairly true to a fresh raspberry. The flavor is full-bodied and dark. This is very concentrated so a little will be enough. I don’t get the perfume or bitter notes with this one as I do with The FA Raspberry. If I could only choose one, between FA and Inawera, it would definitely be the Inawera, BUT they are probably interchangeable in a recipe. .5% in a mix is probably enough.

ONE DROP FLAVORS

Raspberry

Tested at 7%. This is not identical to TFA Raspberry Sweet, but it is close enough that it can easily be subbed in a recipe that calls for TFA Raspberry Sweet. Very weak but fresh.

TFA

Raspberry Sweet

Tested at 7%. This is a fresh tasting raspberry – light and maybe a watery flavor – the flavor is weak compared to Inawera or FA. It is very sweet, so not a good choice for an authentic raspberry in bakeries. It is perfect for a hint of raspberry in raspberry lemonade. It won’t give you an “in your face” raspberry flavor but does impart a hint of raspberry in mixes. 3% to 4% in a mix.

VAPE TRAIN

VTA Shisha Raspberry

Tested at 2.5%. This is a nice, sweet raspberry. Not terribly vibrant or intense (FA and Inawera are intense raspberries, by comparison.) It tastes fresh without cloying sweetness or overwhelming tartness. This could be used, IMO, anywhere you would use FA or Inawera, but at a higher
    percentage – probably 2% here rather than the .5% of the other two.

Last edited:

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    @FranC, I know you said you were done thinking about raspberries, but I found the following in my notes and thought you might be interested:

@AngeNZ says, "1% FA Raspberry and 3% PUR Raspberry - after a 3 day steep the florals are gone, and I've got a ripe, plump juicy raspberry that is perfect."

@Letitia has had this to say about raspberries, "INW raspberry Malina and shisha. Both singles are good. Have only used them is one mix, the malina is strong. I'll have to drop it down to .75%. Between the two they make for a nice raspberry and steep faster than Purilum. For creams I believe I will stick with the Purilum and FA beryl. The INW and RF for me will most likely be for straight up fruit mixes or bakery blends.

"Purilum Raspberry is beautiful. Just a good clean fruit, will take over a mix with long steeps if use above 2%. 3% is my sweet spot for a simple raspberry & cream.

"Purilum raspberry shines brighter with a steep, one of my favorite raspberries. Word of caution, it gets stronger with time and can take over at 3%. That's a good percentage for a small batch though. Stands up beautifully with heavy creams. Okay in 10 days, enough to tell if you'll like it. Just keeps getting better, about 4w is where I like it. I'll mix 90ml 2.3% with creams, cheesecakes, pull off 15ml to vape and forget the rest for a few weeks. With straight fruit mixes 1-3% depending on where I want the raspberry to sit., week is usually enough for those. I would do a pairing with your boysenberry. The Purilum is bright and not candy sweet imo. I add 2 drops raspberry to the 15ml I pull off the 90ml."

And here are @PJReid's flavor notes on raspberry:

FLAVOUR ART

FA Berryl Raspberry

Tested at 2%. HIC’s Notes: "This is a little stronger than most FA flavors, and it tends to make itself noticed in recipes, so go light with it. Even 0.5% can stand out in a recipe with mild flavors, and 2% will overwhelm most recipes. This is a natural berry flavor with mostly sweet and a little fresh-tart flavor. It is not candy-sweet, but it’s easily made into candy flavors when used with sweeter flavors. “ It is a fairly full raspberry, both sweet and tart. It tastes like a VERY ripe raspberry. I do pick up some floral notes. The sweetness doesn’t go to syrupy, the tart is mild. The flavor itself is strong so more than a little would overpower a mix. What I don’t like are the floral, bitter notes. Best at 1% in a mix.

INAWERA

INW Raspberry (Malina)

Tested at 2%. This is, to my taste, an authentic raspberry – perfectly ripe. Some people tasted a jammy, candy flavor. To me, it is a bit tart and fairly true to a fresh raspberry. The flavor is full-bodied and dark. This is very concentrated so a little will be enough. I don’t get the perfume or bitter notes with this one as I do with The FA Raspberry. If I could only choose one, between FA and Inawera, it would definitely be the Inawera, BUT they are probably interchangeable in a recipe. .5% in a mix is probably enough.

ONE DROP FLAVORS

Raspberry

Tested at 7%. This is not identical to TFA Raspberry Sweet, but it is close enough that it can easily be subbed in a recipe that calls for TFA Raspberry Sweet. Very weak but fresh.

TFA

Raspberry Sweet

Tested at 7%. This is a fresh tasting raspberry – light and maybe a watery flavor – the flavor is weak compared to Inawera or FA. It is very sweet, so not a good choice for an authentic raspberry in bakeries. It is perfect for a hint of raspberry in raspberry lemonade. It won’t give you an “in your face” raspberry flavor but does impart a hint of raspberry in mixes. 3% to 4% in a mix.

VAPE TRAIN

VTA Shisha Raspberry

Tested at 2.5%. This is a nice, sweet raspberry. Not terribly vibrant or intense (FA and Inawera are intense raspberries, by comparison.) It tastes fresh without cloying sweetness or overwhelming tartness. This could be used, IMO, anywhere you would use FA or Inawera, but at a higher
    Thanks much,Zazie:wub:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    What are the 12??

RF black raspberry
    Lb blue raspberry
    WF boysenberry raspberry
    Vta juicy raspberry
    FA raspberry berryl
    Cap raspberry
    Inw raspberry (malina)
    Tfa raspberry
    Inw raspberry (wera garden)
    Vta raspberry jam
    Tfa sweet raspberry
    Inw shisha raspberry
    Vta shisha raspberry

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    RF black raspberry
    Lb blue raspberry
    WF boysenberry raspberry
    Vta juicy raspberry
    FA raspberry berryl
    Cap raspberry
    Inw raspberry (malina)
    Tfa raspberry
    Inw raspberry (wera garden)
    Vta raspberry jam
    Tfa sweet raspberry
    Inw shisha raspberry
    Vta shisha raspberry
    Wow, I think I have 5 of those

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Steeping is the process of differing molecules bonding with each other. Flavor molecules need to bond with each other as much as any other ingredient. So yes to your question.

Users who are viewing this thread