Random DIY mixing and More

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
Getting a new boy and it should be here on Thursday. Since moving to Arkansas I am getting more into selective breeding, which is pairing male and female for a better outcome..

90021355_507024986613958_679886966405201920_n.jpg

I have not named the little fellow. This guy was once owned by Lisa Lannan Lee, a legendary figure in the Diamondback Terrapin circle. She passed away 3 years ago.

This will make 2 terrapins I have that she owned. I miss her dearly.

Any ideas for a name?
He’s gorgeous! He’s as blue as a Caribbean sea. Can’t wait to see his babies!

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Winner winner chicken dinner!

Welcome back @stols001 ! We were about to send a search team out for you. @FranC had the camo fatigues and I had the face paint. It would have been epic.:)
    What do we win? A baby turtle?????:)

• Love
    Reactions: Skeebo

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Getting a new boy and it should be here on Thursday. Since moving to Arkansas I am getting more into selective breeding, which is pairing male and female for a better outcome..
    Just curious. Is there any other way to pair them? Did I miss something in my biology class?

NolaMel

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    I am of the opinion that no one makes better wings than I. Your cat may want to come live with me.
    Better watch out, we’ll all show up for wings! You can also charge us by the hour for turtle viewing. I’d think it would be mesmerizing and relaxing to watch them. My box turtles are pretty dull to watch, unless it’s feeding time and Duke is out doing his happy/feeeeed me dance.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I am of the opinion that no one makes better wings than I. Your cat may want to come live with me.

Chicken wings with bacon? I can’t even type the word “bacon” without her knowing. She was sound a sleep a second ago, she’s now rubbing up my leg and purring.

• Winner
    Reactions: ShamrockPat

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014
    Just curious. Is there any other way to pair them? Did I miss something in my biology class?

LOL. Definitely want a male and female in the animal world to produce babies. Selective breeding is when you pair a male and female that have certain traits to get a desired result. With this male I am getting the concentric rings on the shell are a desired trait. If I pair it with a female with the same pattern they'll produce babies with those rings at a rate of 75%.

I also do it with skin patterns. I have a terrapin that has hearts for spots, the babies usually also come out with the heart patterns too. You can see the heart pattern on a hatchling I produced last year below.

87016276_3206471089380818_2477323701675098112_o.jpg

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014
    Better watch out, we’ll all show up for wings! You can also charge us by the hour for turtle viewing. I’d think it would be mesmerizing and relaxing to watch them. My box turtles are pretty dull to watch, unless it’s feeding time and Duke is out doing his happy/feeeeed me dance.

Box turtles and spotted turtles are what made me fall in love with turtles to begin with. I use to practice my motocross skills on a vast piece of land behind our house as a kid, which is where the Miami Dolphin stadium now sits. There were wild box turtles everywhere. My father forbid me to take any in because I had so many turtles (and ducks) already. But I loved catching them and moving them off the practice tracks.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 29, 2015
    Awwww you are all so sweet. Not sucralose sweet, but sweet enough for me to write a response.

I'm fine more or less. Super crazy busy, but also, in this odd fashion, possibly about to get furloughed for a while, I don't know what I will do if that happens, like, Walmart is hiring a jillion people to stock, and it's minimum wage but holy goodness, the husband and I have NO savings due to the house.

Everything is closing down here, they are triaging at my work and enacting ridiculous measures, like quarantine rooms, but we have no tests for COVID-19 so,... why? Because the CDC says, I guess.

I'm mostly fine. Sort of treating my anemia with chicken liver. Unfortunately the husband could not find it yesterday people are buying up EVERYTHING. Chicken liver is DELICIOUS my first attempt to eat it was almost PICA like. The husband had to make me stop he was like, "You are gona puke"" (I didn't think so, I know me) but I was like, well, with the amount of cholesterol in this eating 2 lbs at a sitting is a bad idea.

Figured out my Adderall interacts with lithium which stops me from absorbing it. Sometimes you forget the simplest things with meds, if you have been on them a long time. I emailed my doc, slightly ......, I mean he is an MD/PhD I pay EXTRA for the privilege but well, it's easy to get into holding patterns with patients. Now the lawsuit happened regarding my former med Provigil and it's is no longer being price gouged, well, I may be able to go back to that. I prefer it. I think my doc will as well since it's schedule IV vs II (the higher the schedule, the higher the risk for the doc.)

Work is breaking up well child/sick visits into our two separate clinics. If we collectively as IBH don't see enough patients well, we get furloughed. Only we aren't supposed to see the "sick" ones and the well kiddo's parents don't want to go to the dang DOCTOR. I will be running back and forth like a headless chicken. ALL the sick kids and their parents actually need me, so I have been entering,. I'm not afraid of the virus and going by symptoms only I may have already HAD it. Jeez.

Sometimes I think medicine has gone too far. I told my dad that when he had his big win with the bubble kids, I was like :"Anything powerfully good can be equally bad.." He was like, "Oh they will never let that happen." I was like, "Uh huh, yeah, you are a great student of human behavior. Wait a couple decades and get back to me."

If no one KNEW this was a corona virus, it would simply be some virus that came along and killed some folks, especially the elderly. Not to get mad at the boomer generation but they, collectively, have lived the LONGEST and have amassed the most WEALTH. But "Nooooo" because it's new, frightening and no cure, we have to behave like THIS. I had to not fill out a survey from my work about it because they wanted to know like stuff about COVID-19 like "Do you feel like we have enough resources," and I was answering stuff like the Medical Assistants are getting rationed on GLOVES and you are asking that? Kids are freaking out about lacking TP and you are asking that? Have you been to Walmart and you are asking that? Kind of thing,

They had one that was like, "Do you have any questions for us about COVID-19" and I was like, "Do you think the nuclear winter that develops will be healthier? What do you think about idiot people herd behavior and will it kill more folks than the virus? Do you believe we are, and always have been BORN to DIE and why can't we just get on with things? Do you think the CDC is competent or are you following its little recommendations because you HAVE to? What would happen if we got the bubonic plague ,do you think, even WITH a cure, the CDC is competent to handle it? Why or why not? Most of all, when do you anticipate this nonsense ENDING???

So,... I couldn't turn it in, my answers were too philosophical AND I really can't be furloughed. Sigh.

Well, guess I'll be seeing the future shortly .Missing my chicken liver already. I feel for the 0.0000075 people who have lost someone to CV. I guess it is affecting the elders, my mom got SICK (no CV symptoms even, and I swear that lady will outlast ME) and I awoke on Sunday to this WALL of text about her investments should she die. I mean, it went on and on about how to sell, bear markets, what to do if we needed cash in a hurry, etc. My sister responded, "Mom you are a nut and by the way I read my email to your granddaughter and she answered, "Ok, boomer." LOL. I emailed my mom to thank her for the financial advice I already knew and to sit tight and recover, and maybe touch my kid without washing her hands, like chicken pox, to get it over with, etc. I also told her the only way that email could have been weirder was if it was an automated one and said, "If you are reading this, you are dead." Or, she could go Anonymous Scientology style with the robot voice and the loop of clouds. I did call later to make sure she was a) okay and she's fine and b) her feelings were hurt. She was like, "I have husbanded my money so CAREFULLY and I figured you all did not know about investments." LOL I was like, "Mom we have a tiny portfolio and before my life entered train wreck mode and me and the husband were BOTH working we consulted a bunch of financial advisors.... So yes, I am 45 years old and I understand money I even paid off a loan EARLY the other day.

I sort of wish I hadn't but oh well what can you do,. They want me back anyway so if we get news of a furlough I guess I could take out another one right quick. Here is hoping NOT. Etc.

The CDC "says" (we are getting direct emails from them) they want to slow the virus infection thread by like, reducing transmissions so the hospitals don't get overwhelmed. Yeah, OK CDC, I can buy that MAYBE , but still, Social Security ain't thanking you. Or me, or the lots of folks potentially to be furloughed, Seriously I am building up my 3 month prudent reserve starting NOW, I have bought nothing and it's been just A OK,. My Preicos arrived,

Just been crazy busy, but I figured I would check in since you were all so sweet.

Tons more to report, probably , but I gotta get work ready here soon. OH GOD please pray I do NOT get furloughed because IDK what we would do,. I find newspaper, or a good bum washing by that odd thing called the bathtub which is often right next to the toilet to be useful. We did not by TP in the spirit of, "I could have a GARAGE full of TP and we could all be born to die."

Yeah, I'm just staying away from that thread, which a certain "JAY" thinks he created. He must have forgotten my PM to ask him to start it because I was afraid a certain nameless person would see folks were having fun and bury it in some ECF crevasse or oubliette so no one would read it. I have the PMs to prove it. LOL.z So it is actually MY thread, but it's all okay with me I don't NEED to be buying more vape stuff.

Just needed a break. I think I might just rant on my blog every day, and like, try to keep my board posts (not in the lounge anyway) more topic relevant.

But I had to say "Hi" which means, today, ":Oh Buenos dios wall of text."

Hope you are all well.

I WANTED to turn in the survey but like, ending like a survey with "We are all BORN to die from the moment of our birth, like, we get closer every single nanosecond." Well, that probably gets you a psych evaluation or something .My work has eaten the CBC tainted bread.

Kinda make me wish I lived in the great depression well not EXACTLY but that people behaved better and you know, stuff,.

Anna

I'm happy you are back here! I am sad some were nasty to you!

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014
    I'm happy you are back here! I am sad some were nasty to you!

Their denial of it is rather bothersome...... but very telling. Inexcusable behavior should never be followed by an excuse. We should all give someone space when they are having a bad day.

Just saying...... But today is a good day indeed.:)

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    @stols001 (anna) good to hear from you... great post (making up for lost time?)
    I'm in CA so feeling the fallout of this virus very hard. My nephew is a doctor (and his wife a nurse) they are overwhelmed.
    Hope we all survive this crazy world (mentally and physically)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    @stols001 (anna) good to hear from you... great post (making up for lost time?)
    I'm in CA so feeling the fallout of this virus very hard. My nephew is a doctor (and his wife a nurse) they are overwhelmed.
    Hope we all survive this crazy world (mentally and physically)

You are not alone there bud. Ontario just announced a state of emergency this morning. All social events and large gatherings have been canceled and prohibited. It’s St Paddy’s and I can’t even go to the pub for a wee dram. So it is whiskey and the Pogues in the Punk house tonight (no Barry White, I do not need any surprises 9 months from now)

Users who are viewing this thread