The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Random DIY mixing and More

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by FranC, May 27, 2018.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. FranC

FranC TWR Co-Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I love the Cap Hazelnut.

• Like Like x 1
  2. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Makes for more interesting mixes:)

• Like Like x 2
  3. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Nate5700

Nate5700 Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 22, 2014
    Jenks, OK, USA
    That might be the one to try, the rum might go well with the tobacco too. ECX did have oatmeal raisin cookie but I didn't think that would work.

• Like Like x 2
  5. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    The rum raisin sounds good to me. The oatmeal...not really.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nate5700

Oct 22, 2014
    Jenks, OK, USA
    I love oatmeal raisin cookies but I think it might be weird in a vape.

• Like Like x 2
  7. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I love the cookies too:) Sounds too sweet for me in a vape.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NatashaTMT

NatashaTMT Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    @dc99 raspberry mix sounds good to me.

I don’t have much experience with blackberries yet but I can tell you what I know. TFA blackberry is good but strong and can be difficult to mix with. Some won’t use it over 1% in a mix. I’d recommend keeping it low considering you won’t be using any creams and such to mellow...

Which brings me to the EM. A bit of EM will mellow out the blackberry but will also mellow out the other flavors you usually want to keep around. Considering many fruits already have a bit of sweetener, your mix may very well be where you like it without adding sweetener. While that bit of sweetener might be enough, you won’t know until you try it. Sweetener can be a great additive, in minute amounts, to brighten your fruits. I get my mixes the way I want them first before determining if sweetener is needed. Once you know the flavors you’re working with, you’ll begin to get an idea of how you’ll like them without having to do it this way every time. If you decide your mix needs sweetener... If it only needs to be a bit sweeter or to brighten the fruits, I’d start with .25% and work up in .05 - .1 increments. If you want it sweet enough to taste and know it’s sweet, start at .5% and work up in .1% increments until you find what works for you. This is what worked for me anyway. I don’t use EM unless I’m following a recipe which calls for it and even then I won’t make a large batch because the more it ages, the more the flavors disappear. There are quite a few options available for a sweetener. I personally like sucralose because I know exactly what it’ll add to my mixes the way I use it. I don’t use enough of or often enough to be concerned with coil gunking. Liquid splenda is also a good sweetener. I recommend finding 1 or 2 you know you like for those mixes that really just need a bit. I won’t usually go past .5% personally but I have found a couple recipes which required a tad more to make it realistic. Example: Dulce De Leche Pie is really too sweet to eat more than a very thin slice. So my ejuice copy cat needs to be a bit sweeter than usual for me.

Koolada is very strong IMO! IF you don’t already know you like it, I recommend starting very low initially. Personally, I’d seriously probably start at .1% as it’s much easier to add more opposed to fixing. Also, I have to recommend WS-23 here as I usually prefer it over koolada. To me, koolada gives me a mouth feel as though I’m tasting mint or menthol. WS-23 for me is completely tasteless and only adds that cooling agent. Even with this one I recommend starting low until you know it’s for you.

:2c:Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps you decide what’ll work for you!:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. classwife

classwife Admin Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Nate5700

Oct 22, 2014
    Jenks, OK, USA
    @NatashaTMT thank you for the advice. I'll probably give it a shot without sweetener and see how it goes. I did order the erythritol as @DavidOck suggested, so I might try it in small amounts if necessary. The koolada I think is key though, I already know I like it, I mixed it with a store-bought berry mix flavor once and it was perfect. Just don't remember how much I used!

Great, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Myk

Myk Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    I loaded a tank of the Andes Candies last night after a little steeping. I think I'll be mixing a full bottle today with the original recipe as it happened (I'll make sure I use a syringe that isn't sticky). It tastes and feels like the real thing (to the best of my memory, it hasn't be decades since I've had one but it has been a while).
    This one is Double Chocolate Clear. Going to be needing a 30ml bottle of that and the Creme de Menthe.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Nate5700

Oct 22, 2014
    Jenks, OK, USA
    So being tired of apple still I remembered I had a test batch of RY4D as a standalone. So I decided to vape some of that. And I recognized it as one of the flavors that stood out so well in my first mix (the one that was good). So I like it.

But, I put it back in the same tank that I used to try the bad mix without changing the coil, figuring the old flavor would eventually vape out. So I still tasted a bit of that nastiness with it. And the more I think about it, it can't be the pecan, this is a flavor that just wasn't there in the good mix, which had pecan. That leaves the Cap Caramel as the culprit. But it tastes nothing like caramel. I don't really know how to describe it.

Anyone have experience with this flavor? It smells good in the bottle. I'm hoping it will lose this taste and start tasting like caramel with some more steep time.

Right now, it's hideous.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. IDJoel

IDJoel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    It is a good thing to remember Bill's mixing style/philosophy; he did not believe in aging, and preferred to mix using enough flavor that his recipes were shake-n-vape ready... what we now commonly call high flavor mixers. He also (at least at the time he developed the recipes found on ECF) created them using old-school (higher resistance, lower power, single coil) clearomizers (CE4, Stardust, or similar). See his blogs (linked in my previous post), to read (in his own words) his rationale for his method.

Aging the recipes, and/or using them in new(er) sub-ohm DTL attys, and they will definitely need some tweaking. I find, for my own sorry taste buds; a delusion of 1/2 to 2/3 is usually in order.
    @NatashaTMT, I find Bill's recipes good candidates for mixing as flavor bases. This preserves the ratios of one flavor to the next, but still allows easy delusion of the recipe, as a whole. It also permits the making of easy 2 or 3mL testers, without the hassle of minuscule measurements.;)

Lastly, Bill was nearly TFA exclusive in his mixing. I can't recall even 10 concentrates that were not TFA. I respect his understanding, and his skill as a mixer (both personal, and professional). However, my own DIY journey has lead me off to other flavor manufacturers. I will always be grateful to Bill, as it was his recipes, his explanations, his linear methodology, and most of all his patience, that got me started DIYing. Like most things DIY, I have experimented... and kept some ideas, techniques, and ingredients... and discarded the rest that just didn't work for me. Being able to adapt, and personalize my mixing, to my needs/preferences, is what DIY is all about.:D

Also @NatashaTMT, that was a great recipe description!:thumb: That is how I remember Bill's chocolate recipes working for me too. If you ever feel like revisiting this one; you could lower the Double Chocolate Clear from 4% to 3%, and raise the Milk Chocolate from 5% to 6%. This would provide a 2% swing in favor of the milk chocolate, while maintaining the overall 9% chocolate presence (prior to overall delusion). (3.5% DCC & 5.5%MC; would provide a less aggressive 1% swing.;))

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  14. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I got some good recipe ideas from Bill and I've read his blog. I did,of course adapt the recipes to my taste.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    The additives of sour,tart and sour,tart and sweet etc do not work for me at all. Instead of blending with my juice to make it less sweet it seems to just sit there and I taste it as a separate flavor. Soooo my juice is just as sweet as it was before and I taste the sour as a separate flavor and it's not a pleasant one. Is there a better way?

• Like Like x 3
  16. IDJoel

IDJoel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    You could go with the old-schooler's technique and try actual lemon juice (in the plastic yellow bottle), or vinegar, added to a mix (just a drop or two to 10mL as I recall). The only complaint I remember is some complaining that the effect faded quickly (a week or two?) and would need to be repeated. As usual; try with just a small sample first... ;)

Outside of that; I don't know of a good "sweet killer." Sorry.:(

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  17. PJReid

PJReid Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    My son has decided that he wants a tobacco e-liquid. I know zero about mixing with tobacco flavors. Going to my usual places when looking for ideas, I looked at highly rated tobacco recipes. The thing is, I don't want to buy anything until I know this will work for him. I have TFA Black Honey, TFA RY4 (not the double), and ECX Tobacco Absolute (50%.) I am thinking a honey peach flavor might be nice, like some good cigars.
    I want to try to use this recipe and add in some JF Honey Peach. I also have TFA Peach Juicy and FA White Peach. Any pointers, ideas, comments are appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry the image is so small - not sure why that is. The recipe is:
    TFA AP .5%
    TFA Black Honey 5%
    TFA Jamaican Rum .5% (I have FA)
    TFA Ry4 Double (I only have Ry4)
    TFA Vanilla Swirl 2.5%

Something that is a combination of the one above and this one. I want to use the Black Honey and the Ry4 I think lower on the Ry4 than I would if it was the double or so I have read. I think either Brandy or Rum and some peach flavor. Not sure about custard - not really a custard person myself but I do have FA Custard and CAP Vanilla Custard V1, along with about every cream you can name.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  18. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I prefer the Ry3 to the Ry4. Hangsen brand. Other than that I can't be much help peach or Black honey. That recipe is alful high in flavor.

• Like Like x 3
  19. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'll give the vinegar a try. Lemon doesn't work that great for me.

• Like Like x 3
  20. DavidOck

DavidOck ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Might also consider some cherry with those tobacs, if you have some on hand. Or pretty much any other fruit - well, maybe not orange. Guava pairs nicely, for example.

DO keep in mind that most tobacco mixes will definitely need some steeping time. At least a week.

• Like Like x 3