Random DIY mixing and More

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
LOL, people abbreviate on the internet? And vapers seem even worse about it. I don't know half the stuff being talked about in this thread.

A new acronym ... ICK (it's common knowledge) to some, but apparently not me. I mixed as if it were FA and was puzzled about the weak flavor until I read the reason in this thread. There's knowledge here. That's for sure.

Thanks, all who played a part in enlightening us.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
OK the INW raspberry sounds good but don't know how much need I have for another raspberry.

It depends on what you are mixing and I know nothing about the PUR Raspberry. It could fill all of your raspberry needs quite nicely. ;) None of them are perfect and I always think that just one more, mixed with what I have, will result in perfection. LOL

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    It depends on what you are mixing and I know nothing about the PUR Raspberry. It could fill all of your raspberry needs quite nicely. ;) None of them are perfect and I always think that just one more, mixed with what I have, will result in perfection. LOL
    Yes I know that route but don't know if I want to follow it again

PJReid

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    Yes I know that route but don't know if I want to follow it again

These are my flavor notes on the raspberry flavors I have. I don't have PUR and maybe that is the one I need. IDK

FLAVOUR ART
    • FA Berryl Raspberry
      Tested at 2%. HIC’s Notes: "This is a little stronger than most FA flavors, and it tends to make itself noticed in recipes, so go light with it. Even 0.5% can stand out in a recipe with mild flavors, and 2% will overwhelm most recipes. This is a natural berry flavor with mostly sweet and a little fresh-tart flavor. It is not candy-sweet, but it’s easily made into candy flavors when used with sweeter flavors. “ It is a fairly full raspberry, both sweet and tart. It tastes like a VERY ripe raspberry. I do pick up some floral notes. The sweetness doesn’t go to syrupy, the tart is mild. The flavor itself is strong so more than a little would overpower a mix. What I don’t like are the floral, bitter notes. Best at 1% in a mix.

INAWERA
    • INW Raspberry (Malina)
      Tested at 2%. This is, to my taste, an authentic raspberry – perfectly ripe. Some people tasted a jammy, candy flavor. To me, it is a bit tart and fairly true to a fresh raspberry. The flavor is full-bodied and dark. This is very concentrated so a little will be enough. I don’t get the perfume or bitter notes with this one as I do with The FA Raspberry. If I could only choose one, between FA and Inawera, it would definitely be the Inawera, BUT they are probably interchangeable in a recipe. .5% in a mix is probably enough.

ONE DROP FLAVORS
    • Raspberry
      Tested at 7%. This is not identical to TFA Raspberry Sweet, but it is close enough that it can easily be subbed in a recipe that calls for TFA Raspberry Sweet. Very weak but fresh.

TFA
    • Raspberry Sweet
      Tested at 7%. This is a fresh tasting raspberry – light and maybe a watery flavor – the flavor is weak compared to Inawera or FA. It is very sweet, so not a good choice for an authentic raspberry in bakeries. It is perfect for a hint of raspberry in raspberry lemonade. It won’t give you an “in your face” raspberry flavor but does impart a hint of raspberry in mixes. 3% to 4% in a mix.

VAPE TRAIN

• VTA Shisha Raspberry
      Tested at 2.5%. This is a nice, sweet raspberry. Not terribly vibrant or intense (FA and Inawera are intense raspberries, by comparison.) It tastes fresh without cloying sweetness or overwhelming tartness. This could be used, IMO, anywhere you would use FA or Inawera, but at a higher percentage – probably 2% here rather than the .5% of the other two.

PJReid

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    I only have 4 flavors on my BCF wishlist but 3 are FLV. I see no pressing reason why I should need FLR Cream so I think I'm going to ax that.

I am testing FLV Cream tomorrow. My testers have had the week I decided to give them. I will let you know.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    The TPA/TFA RY4 Double bottle just has Fa inside a block on the bottom of the label, left side. Maybe the TPA/TFA name was too long to fit and the initials were the only option.

According to Linda, that Fa means it's one of The Flavor Apprentice flavorings that does not need a special GHS label (indicating possible skin sensitivities, it's flammable, etc.). Maybe the vendor bought the 4oz. or 16oz. size and when they rebottled it, they kept the Fa as it was on the larger bottles from TFA. Either that, or you bought 1 of those 2 sizes, and it's the original TFA bottle.

ETA: Or...it may say Flavor Apprentice inside that box with the Fa afterall. I just looked at an 8mL vial of TFA Passion Fruit from Wizard Labs. It has the Fa in a small box...and using my magnifying headset I can just barely make out the teensy, itty-bitty Flavor Apprentice name there, underneath the Fa.

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    It could.

It's mostly vendor abbreviations I don't know. Fewer wish lists to figure out.

These are my flavor notes on the raspberry flavors I have. I don't have PUR and maybe that is the one I need. IDK

FLAVOUR ART
    • FA Berryl Raspberry
      Tested at 2%. HIC’s Notes: "This is a little stronger than most FA flavors, and it tends to make itself noticed in recipes, so go light with it. Even 0.5% can stand out in a recipe with mild flavors, and 2% will overwhelm most recipes. This is a natural berry flavor with mostly sweet and a little fresh-tart flavor. It is not candy-sweet, but it’s easily made into candy flavors when used with sweeter flavors. “ It is a fairly full raspberry, both sweet and tart. It tastes like a VERY ripe raspberry. I do pick up some floral notes. The sweetness doesn’t go to syrupy, the tart is mild. The flavor itself is strong so more than a little would overpower a mix. What I don’t like are the floral, bitter notes. Best at 1% in a mix.

INAWERA
    • INW Raspberry (Malina)
      Tested at 2%. This is, to my taste, an authentic raspberry – perfectly ripe. Some people tasted a jammy, candy flavor. To me, it is a bit tart and fairly true to a fresh raspberry. The flavor is full-bodied and dark. This is very concentrated so a little will be enough. I don’t get the perfume or bitter notes with this one as I do with The FA Raspberry. If I could only choose one, between FA and Inawera, it would definitely be the Inawera, BUT they are probably interchangeable in a recipe. .5% in a mix is probably enough.

ONE DROP FLAVORS
    • Raspberry
      Tested at 7%. This is not identical to TFA Raspberry Sweet, but it is close enough that it can easily be subbed in a recipe that calls for TFA Raspberry Sweet. Very weak but fresh.

TFA
    • Raspberry Sweet
      Tested at 7%. This is a fresh tasting raspberry – light and maybe a watery flavor – the flavor is weak compared to Inawera or FA. It is very sweet, so not a good choice for an authentic raspberry in bakeries. It is perfect for a hint of raspberry in raspberry lemonade. It won’t give you an “in your face” raspberry flavor but does impart a hint of raspberry in mixes. 3% to 4% in a mix.

VAPE TRAIN

• VTA Shisha Raspberry
      Tested at 2.5%. This is a nice, sweet raspberry. Not terribly vibrant or intense (FA and Inawera are intense raspberries, by comparison.) It tastes fresh without cloying sweetness or overwhelming tartness. This could be used, IMO, anywhere you would use FA or Inawera, but at a higher percentage – probably 2% here rather than the .5% of the other two.

I was sent the TFA by mistake but I haven't tried it yet. 7% is helpful. Sad that it's weak. No idea what I'll use that for now.

I can tell you from searching for a raspberry for wine they could all taste like real raspberries.
    After a couple flops I asked the grower's Twitter page what they recommended with the most artificial raspberry candy flavor (because once the yeast is done with sour berry flavors you just end up with sour). (It's great in the melomel.)

PJReid

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    I was sent the TFA by mistake but I haven't tried it yet. 7% is helpful. Sad that it's weak. No idea what I'll use that for now.

I can tell you from searching for a raspberry for wine they could all taste like real raspberries.
    After a couple flops I asked the grower's Twitter page what they recommended with the most artificial raspberry candy flavor (because once the yeast is done with sour berry flavors you just end up with sour). (It's great in the melomel.)

That really is interesting. I think it is great to understand flavors and which taste buds they hit. As for TFA Raspberry Sweet, I tested it at 7% but use it in mixes at an average of 3%. It is definitely the raspberry I use most often but I don't mix bakeries or desserts, as a rule. TFA Raspberry Sweet is perfect for Pink Lemonade, Raspberry Sorbet, etc. It plays very well with other berries.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    That really is interesting. I think it is great to understand flavors and which taste buds they hit. As for TFA Raspberry Sweet, I tested it at 7% but use it in mixes at an average of 3%. It is definitely the raspberry I use most often but I don't mix bakeries or desserts, as a rule. TFA Raspberry Sweet is perfect for Pink Lemonade, Raspberry Sorbet, etc. It plays very well with other berries.

Maybe I could use it to round out another raspberry then.

Growing fruit and learning how some flavors are made/extracted makes me think some aren't bad flavors, they either used parts of the fruit I don't like (I'm sure some melons are extracting with rinds in the mix) or varieties I wouldn't like.

My plum jam didn't have much flavor. My friend's plum jam had a great plum flavor.

Last edited:

NolaMel

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    Our taste buds really are individualized. :) I get perfumy, floral from FA's Beryl Raspberry but not from INW.
    To me perfume = tastes like the fruit smells. Floral tastes like flowers smell. I should be more clear. Maybe aroma would be a better word.

Users who are viewing this thread