The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Random DIY mixing and More

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by FranC, May 27, 2018.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. NolaMel

NolaMel ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    TY!! I was going to ask for those :D. CC has shipped whoop,whoop. Can’t wait to mix a tester

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  2. PJReid

PJReid Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    Yep, the INW Raspberry (Malina) is very strong. I see you figured it out already. ;) I know ZERO about white chocolate flavors but am guessing you might start with a ratio of 3:1 or even 4:1 with white chocolate and INW Raspberry.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  3. NolaMel

NolaMel ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    I will adjust to that. I went with “suggested %s” in the tester, I THOUGHT. Concentrate should have been a huge DUH clue. I forgot I added meringue too (2drops). The white chocolate is almost undetectable, sort of like a buttercream taste. But no mouth feel, thus the added meringue and marzipan halfway through the tester. I think it would be good with cheesecake. I have Cap NY cc coming, % recs????

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  4. Myk

Myk Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    I was just going to say I went with tester %, but they were testers I made. Plus I had already used the chocolate enough to know it. And it was Inawera vs Inawera.

• Like Like x 5
  5. JCinFLA

JCinFLA Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2015
    I just had a 45 minute phone discussion with Linda...the very nice owner of The Flavor Apprentice/The Perfumer's Apprentice. I'm in the process of trying to put together "the straight skinny" info I got from her, to post in response to 7 or 8 posts on the last several pages about the TFA, Fa, etc. issue. It'll take me a little while, but I'll be back with it. :)

• Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. FranC

FranC TWR Co-Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Cap NY CC 5 or 6 percent in a recipe

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    • Like Like x 5
  8. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Is the INW Raspberry worth getting?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ceeceeisme

ceeceeisme Ultra Member ECF Veteran

:w00t: I made a tester recipe (completely bypassing the single flavor test) and OMG! It's 10 days old and I decided to give it a shot because it did say to age 1 week.

Wow! It's really really good! I know you're going to laugh at this but it tastes just like smoking an American cigarette. Canadian cigarettes taste different (which you may or may not know). I really like this - it's scratching an itch for me.

I only bought one NET Stixx Mixx - the A+ Blend. I may need to buy a few more now. ;)

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Absolutely. Repackaged flavors can be confusing, especially if the flavor manufacturer is abbreviated. on one of the other bottles from NR the name Purilium is clearly spelled out vertically on the side of the bottle. No confusion there. I really like original bottles, but I can understand sellers buying in bulk and rebottling for resale under their logo. Just tell us plainly what we are dealing with by spelling out the name of the flavor company instead of using nicknames or initials.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I vote for TFA or TPA on the bottle if it must be shortened instead of expanded to full length.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Back in my late childhood I did have a few Canadian cigs.. My Aunt had a camp on Lake Champlain,NY. Lots of across the border travel back then. Good to hear on the Stixx. I want the Whiskey one.

• Like Like x 5
  13. ceeceeisme

Would that be the Whiskey Cavendish?

• Like Like x 4
  14. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Me too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    That's the one.

• Like Like x 4
  16. ceeceeisme

That's going on my wish list. I'm also going to try the Canadian Virginian, The Supreme and the Butter Rum Cavendish.

• Like Like x 4
  17. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    At what % did you mix?

• Like Like x 3
  18. JCinFLA

JCinFLA Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2015
    Linda said they started using the Fa logo approx. 3 years ago, but only on the 4oz. and 16oz. size bottles of flavorings that do not require special GHS labelling. GHS labelling became a requirement for flavorings that might cause skin sensitivity, or are flammable, or several other reasons. It was because of some new government regs. that they had to start using different labels for those that did require it, and those that don't. Those that do need GHS labelling...have a bunch of extra wording about those things above, written on them.

So, if vendors like NR, ECX, etc. buy and rebottle her company's flavorings...it comes with the proper label on it when they get it from her company. She has no control over how they label it though, when they rebottle it.

The 4mL and 15mL bottles bought from her website...all have the Flavor Apprentice logo.

According to Linda...Fa is not now their brand name. It's just used as their logo on some of their labels (per the above post). Their brand name is still The Flavor Apprentice and/or The Perfumer's Apprentice.

See my post above about the Fa and NR.

Linda wasn't aware of the "Signature" line being sold by ECX until I told her about it. However, she said that any vendor can buy TFA flavorings, rebottle them, and call them whatever they want to call them. She has no control over that. But, she went on to say that the only way a consumer can find out if the rebottled "Signature" flavorings are indeed the same original TFA flavorings, or not...would be to buy a small bottle from both places and compare them.

Answered in above post.
    She did agree with my own guess as to why ECX for example, might call their TFA flavorings "Signature" or something else. I told her I thought it was because it would give customers the false idea...that the only place to get a favorite "Signature" flavoring, was from ECX, as if it was their own proprietary flavoring! If they didn't make it known that it was a TFA flavoring carried by many vendors = more repeat customers for them.

A guess as to why ECX is now putting TFA in the description: They were losing customers who wanted to buy TFA flavorings...and they were going elsewhere to buy them, since ECX didn't carry them! That sort of forced their hand to make it be known that their "Signature" line is TFA.

Bingo! We have a winner!

I've only ordered a couple times from NR, but on their invoices I just pulled out of my file...for the TFA flavorings I ordered, they've spelled out the brand name like these 2 examples below:

Flavor Apprentice Blueberry Candy (PG) - 10mL
    Flavor Apprentice DX Coconut Candy - 2oz

OSDIY has used fa on their invoices I've gotten, since at least early 2016, as part of their SKU identification numbers, ie.
    fa-citp-10 (then beside it) Flavor Apprentice - Citrus Punch II - 10mL

For Flavour Art...my invoices have fl in their SKU identification numbers, ie.
    fl-frc-15 (then beside it) Flavour Art - Fresh Cream - 15mL

Linda did say that at the time they were choosing how to differentiate the labels on flavorings that did or didn't require the special GHS labelling...they had no idea that using the Fa logo would cause any confusion with Flavour Art. In fact, she said they didn't even know about websites like ELR or others, nor that people who make their own eliquids often share recipes online and use abbreviations in those recipes. She said if she HAD known, they'd have probably opted to just stay with the TFA logo, and just make it smaller on the GHS labels, to allow the necessary extra room for all the specifics needed on them. Said as it is now...there's little chance they'll be switching back to it though, because of existing inventory, the need for redesigning logos and labels to do it, etc. She is sorry it's causing any confusion for us who DIY and thanked me for calling her.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for looking into that,JC:)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. ceeceeisme

I went for 5%. It's pretty strong so I think it can be used anywhere from 3% to 5%. This is probably going to get mellower with some time - it's got a bit of ye olde "throat hit" right now but to me that's not a bad thing. Scratching that itch, you know.

What I made up is:

Nutty Stixx
    Stixx Mixx A+ Blend 5%
    FW Creamy Hazelnut 4%
    INW Custard 1%
    FLV Milk & Honey 1%

No sweetener, which is quite unusual for me. Turns out it doesn't need any.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1