Random DIY mixing and More

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    This is an amazing thread!!! I’ve just added a new folder with 5 links to do with flavour pairing etc... sorry for not sending koodo’s to the op’s of the links but I’ll be back later.

I’ve recently started making from scratch, prior I tweaked juices for quite some time. I checked out quite a bit of other resources but DIY was a bit scary for me. All this knowledge, all the talented juiceologists here, :) you deserve some recognition.

This gave me the inspiration to take the big plunge and step from tweaking to actually mixing.

TYVM diyer’s,
    Vonnie
    Please forgive me if i’m in the wrong thread but since you had the links here I figured it was ok
    Welcome.You're in the right place.........hehe

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    So I am wanting to switch my most used flavorings to plastic bottles thin tip. My instinct is to go with LDPE but not sure if that is better for flavors that may be in the bottle for 2+ years. Any thoughts are welcome.
    Glass............

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    IMO, if they need to be easy to squeeze bottles, to dispense flavoring and have a thin tip on them...LDPE is the only option for ones that don't leech plastic chemicals. If you didn't need an easy squeeze plastic...you could use PP and/or HDPE ones, too. Some PP ones are available with the thin tips. I've personally never seen any HDPE with dispensing tips though, because it's a very rigid plastic. IMO the HDPE would be better for long term storage, out of those 2 options.

Do you need the thin tip because you measure by weight? Or do you just prefer that for other reasons? I'm expecting a bunch of 1oz., narrow mouth, HDPE, leak-proof screw-on cap, bottles to be delivered this coming week. I could send you a few of those for free...to see if they'd work for you.
    Was hoping you would answer here, thank you. Have read you answer this before but it has been a while and couldn't remember the thread. They are for mixing by weight. I use LDPE for my juices since it is so easy on my fingers but those only are bottled for a few weeks to months. I have to order some bottles anyway so will add a 12 bottle lot of HDPE to try. Appreciate the offer to send some very much though. From what I can gleam HDPE are a bit softer than PET which some days are difficult to use.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    The FE Lemon may not fade as fast but I find it wicked sweet. More so than FA Lemon Sicily
    While I don't find it wicked sweet there is a candyish taste to it. Try adding a percent or two of dragon fruit. Like a juicy sweet tart for me. You may have better luck with a lemonade Fran, some are said to be very tart.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    While I don't find it wicked sweet there is a candyish taste to it. Try adding a percent or two of dragon fruit. Like a juicy sweet tart for me. You may have better luck with a lemonade Fran, some are said to be very tart.
    I have several Lemonade that are all too sweet. It's ok though. I have fruits I like better.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    From what I can tell, all vapers seem to use ecigs like they smoked.

Not me, ever. When I did MTL it was necessity because of the equipment. The long slow ecig puffs weren't like smoking. When TC came along I could do DTL, again not like smoking.
    The closest I've come to setting a smoker up with something close to smoking because he refused to adjust his puff was sub-Ω to heat up fast enough to get vapor in a short restricted MTL draw.

From all I've read vg based flavors need an extended steep. I know from playing around with base mixes the vg heavier base takes longer to steep than those with p400 added.

I'm hoping this one being 16% in an aged mix with my max PG flavoring is seeded to go faster.
    I know steeping is required with some flavors but I figure there are too many other flavors out there to deal with that. I don't see myself ever finishing a recipe with a month between tweaks. I'm usually finished working up a recipe in a month.
    If it can't seed it definitely can't work for this purpose. I could have all the watermelon vaped away, order flavors I need and tweak up a new watermelon medley recipe at 10% PG flavoring before the addition was ready to vape.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    From what I can gleam HDPE are a bit softer than PET which some days are difficult to use.

HDPE aren't soft or squeezeable at all. They're classified by manufacturers as a rigid plastic. The jugs my PG & VG from BA comes in are HDPE jugs, and they are slightly semi squishy. But that's only because they're such a large size. Smaller HDPE that I've ever ordered and used are rigid.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I have always found that dragon fruit was really sweet to me and use it once in a while just for that purpose.
    YMMV

:)

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Things must have come together somehow today cause I got through trying several juices. Got some fails and some wins. Vaping an older Strawberry Cheesecake that's rather tasty right now.

Looking through my mixed recipes and found one that really puzzles me. Guava Cheesecake with no Guava in it...................

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Things must have come together somehow today cause I got through trying several juices. Got some fails and some wins. Vaping an older Strawberry Cheesecake that's rather tasty right now.

Looking through my mixed recipes and found one that really puzzles me. Guava Cheesecake with no Guava in it...................
    Kinda of like the coffee cake that has no cake ingredient either?

LMAO.........with you.
    kinda needed that today.....

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I have always found that dragon fruit was really sweet to me and use it once in a while just for that purpose.
    YMMV

I find TFA DF to have a nice tart note. I am constantly amazed at how different all of our impressions are of any given flavor.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    HDPE aren't soft or squeezeable at all. They're classified by manufacturers as a rigid plastic. The jugs my PG & VG from BA comes in are HDPE jugs, and they are slightly semi squishy. But that's only because they're such a large size. Smaller HDPE that I've ever ordered and used are rigid.
    Then I'll just order 10ml LDPE for flavors and replace them yearly. Thank you for your help.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I finally dug out my WF roasted pecan and hazelnut and cream. I never did single flavor testers on them. I remember someone saying that they liked the hazelnut solo but don’t remember the percentage and if it needed to steep.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I finally dug out my WF roasted pecan and hazelnut and cream. I never did single flavor testers on them. I remember someone saying that they liked the hazelnut solo but don’t remember the percentage and if it needed to steep.
    The WF Hazelnut and Cream, I do @ 6% and vape it the next day. You could try out a tester because I have known some people to vape it as soon as its mixed. It will continue to develop as you vape it and stays steady for several weeks. At about 6 weeks or so its should be fully steeped and becomes a good flavor to mix with other ingredients if you want. Me I just keep vaping its goodness.

Can you tell I love this flavor?

I also use the WF roasted pecan, it does have cream in it @ 5% and needs maybe a week to taste good.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Then I'll just order 10ml LDPE for flavors and replace them yearly. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome!
    You might want to check DropperBottles.com for his prices on the 10mL size. You have to get 100, but he's got good prices. There's also an on-going code there for us. IIRC it's either DIY or ECF.

PackagingOptionsDirect.com also has a 20% off sale going on now...when your order includes bottles and closures. Code is: BETTER2GETHER, used at Checkout. Ends tomorrow night.

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    The WF Hazelnut and Cream, I do @ 6% and vape it the next day. You could try out a tester because I have known some people to vape it as soon as its mixed. It will continue to develop as you vape it and stays steady for several weeks. At about 6 weeks or so its should be fully steeped and becomes a good flavor to mix with other ingredients if you want. Me I just keep vaping its goodness.

Can you tell I love this flavor?

I also use the WF roasted pecan, it does have cream in it @ 5% and needs maybe a week to taste good.

I did a shake and vape on the HC at 6% and mixed it with peg400. It was harsh and overwhelming in the enthion. The RP was pretty strong too. I’m going to put them away for a week after diluting them some with vg. I probably should have just used vg to begin with since it’s what I’m used to. I might go ahead and mix two more with vg to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread