Random DIY mixing and More

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I should mention that I loaded my Stixx Mixx A+ Blend and butterscotch recipe into a tank today and at 6% the A+ Blend is completely drowning out the butterscotch flavors. Next time I'll try lowering the A+ down to about 3.5%.
    Thank you, That's very promising.:)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I use the Butterscotch Cream Pie at 7% for a stand alone.

WF(SC) Honey Roasted Peanuts isn't really a stand alone kind of flavor and I find the higher you get, the drier it gets. I use it as an accent flavor only for TFA Peanut Butter and usually keep it below 1%. (4% TFA PB with 1% WF(SC) Honey Roasted Peanuts)
    I was tasting my sf peanut butters last week and added the sf VTA honeycomb to the wick and they were pretty tasty combined. thinking about getting taro for a peanut butter potato candy juice. I just got in the ooo powders sugar, theoretically it should work out.

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2016
    Niagara Region, ON CANADA
    I was tasting my sf peanut butters last week and added the sf VTA honeycomb to the wick and they were pretty tasty combined. thinking about getting taro for a peanut butter potato candy juice. I just got in the ooo powders sugar, theoretically it should work out.

I have VTA Honeycomb but haven't done a thing with it yet. I also have FE Taro and why did I buy that again? :confused:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I have VTA Honeycomb but haven't done a thing with it yet. I also have FE Taro and why did I buy that again? :confused:
    I was never interested in taro until Necro and I were chatting about potato candy one day and the wheels started turning.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I think I’ve figured out why the hazelnut cream was so overwhelming before. It was a combination of too much peg and the enthion rda is super flavor producing. I mixed a new bottle with my regular 70/30 vg/pg and it was still pretty strong in the enthion. I tried it in an ammit mtl rda and it was much smoother.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    "Tart" is going to be kind of tough with those two; both are for the most part "sweet." I would look to LA Tart & Sour, or similar, to get that. Small amounts of grapefruit or rhubarb may also be useful.

Depth is a bit easier. Meringue, or marshmallow, will both add depth without changing flavor profile much. Caramel is a popular combination, with pear and/or apple, and also adds richness. Coconut is another that can add complexity, and some depth. A touch of cinnamon is good for giving a suggestion of "cooked" fruit, and can add a bit of complexity, but doesn't add much depth on its own. Bakery (Pie Crust, Graham Cracker, Danish) can all add depth, and take the fruit in more of a pastry direction.

Maybe tart is the wrong word. More of a “bite” that a green apple has. I like the idea of adding depth with either marshmallow or meringue. Thanks

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I think I’ve figured out why the hazelnut cream was so overwhelming before. It was a combination of too much peg and the enthion rda is super flavor producing. I mixed a new bottle with my regular 70/30 vg/pg and it was still pretty strong in the enthion. I tried it in an ammit mtl rda and it was much smoother.
    Maybe it's a good thing I haven't coiled my Enthion yet..................

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    You could try some of FA forest fruit flavor. Or maybe a honeydew, or kiwi?

:)

Hmmmmm forest fruit is an interesting idea as long as it stays in the background. I do a lot of honeydew so maybe the kiwi would be better for this recipe. Thanks

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Maybe tart is the wrong word. More of a “bite” that a green apple has. I like the idea of adding depth with either marshmallow or meringue. Thanks
    A kiss of lime or sweet & tart are probably your best bets for bite. Maybe try a blackberry by the drop.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    Bill's Magic Vapor (ex-commercial eliquid maker, well-known and loved ECF member, a wealth of info. on DIY, etc.) was someone I learned a lot from in my early days of DIY. I tried many of his recipes, read his blog (there's a wealth of info. in it by the way), followed him on the TFA thread, etc. He's not been active for awhile now on ECF, but I still regularly use some of his techniques, hints & suggestions, etc. and I refer back to a file I have saved with a bunch of his "stuff".

One of his methods used to easily make various eliquid recipes was to make what he called "bases". (I've always thought he probably used these as a commercial mixer.) Specific flavorings are mixed to make each specific "base" type. That 1 base could then be turned into any number of different eliquids of that "type"...by simply adding a different single primary flavoring to the base. I'm thinking those "bases" were probably a type of "stone", as people are calling them nowadays.

Here are a few of them below and his recommendations for using each one. All flavorings are TFA unless otherwise noted. He is/was a high total flavoring % guy. But it's easy to cut that down. At first, I made them as written, but I've found that cutting each by 1/2 is still flavorful enough, for me.

For several years, I made 120mL or larger bottles of several of his bases. I'd then just pull off some of the "base" and add a single Primary flavoring to make my individual recipes. Worked like a charm for me.

Custard - Make a custard eliquid by adding any single flavoring to this mix. You just need to work out the % for that flavoring. It's usually going to be between about 7-13%. Starting at no more than 7% for stronger flavorings would be best.

Cotton Candy 7%
    Vanilla Custard 6%
    Bavarian Cream 6%

Creams - This cream recipe is great with fruits and just about anything else. Add a single primary flavor ingredient to this, in the 10-15% range. I would start at 10% and increase until you find the sweet spot.

Sweet Cream - 5%
    Vanilla Swirl - 5%
    Hazelnut - 2-3%
    Honey - 3%
    Sweetener - 2-3%

Vanilla Milkshake Base - Add about 5% of any fruit flavoring to make that flavor milkshake.

VBIC - 10%
    Marshmallow - 5%
    French Vanilla Deluxe - 4%
    Sweetener - 3%
    Dulce de Leche - 2%
    Koolada - 1%

He also has bases for cobbler, danish, and pies.

I just started making a custard “base” for fruit custards about 6-7 weeks ago as suggested by folks here mostly because of the steeping time and the fruit fading.

It worked out wonderfully. I just pulled of 20 ml from a fully steeped base and added lemons in this case and it’s good to go!! I can see many recipes that this would be helpful for.

I’d like to check out his blog and recipes if they’re still available. Too bad he’s not currently active but I guess the baton has passed into your hands!!

Thanks for posting this information.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I just started making a custard “base” for fruit custards about 6-7 weeks ago as suggested by folks here mostly because of the steeping time and the fruit fading.

It worked out wonderfully. I just pulled of 20 ml from a fully steeped base and added lemons in this case and it’s good to go!! I can see many recipes that this would be helpful for.

I’d like to check out his blog and recipes if they’re still available. Too bad he’s not currently active but I guess the baton has passed into your hands!!

Thanks for posting this information.
    Some of Bill's Magic Vapor Recipes | E-Cigarette Forum

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I’d like to check out his blog and recipes if they’re still available.
    Her ya' go!
    Bill's Magic Vapor

EDIT: sorry; should have mentioned the link is for his profile page. Click on the "Blog" tab, and you can see all his blog entries indexed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread