ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    @hittman

I think it's better to sit down and talk with him... !?

"Elevator To heaven"
    I’ve been trying to think of a way to have a rational conversation with him. He doesn’t answer to me but when he doesn’t do his job then it makes us all look bad. His wife passed about two years ago and about six months later he started dating this woman who he now lives with. His job performance has increasingly gotten worse the longer they have been together. I think he’s drinking a lot more and started smoking after having quit several years ago. She’s a drinker and a smoker and has rubbed off on him. How do you tell a friend/coworker that they are screwing up without being offensive or judgmental?

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    How do you tell a friend/coworker that they are screwing up without being offensive or judgmental?

Simple. Bypass the coworker altogether and bring this to the attention of your boss. Tell your boss what the purchasing guy did. Make it your bosses problem, it is his business, if he cares he'll deal with it.

You have a coworker who is slacking, that is not acceptable to the bottom line of the business. The guys personal life shouldn't be brought to work.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Simple. Bypass the coworker altogether and bring this to the attention of your boss. Tell your boss what the purchasing guy did. Make it your bosses problem, it is his business, if he cares he'll deal with it.

You have a coworker who is slacking, that is not acceptable to the bottom line of the business. The guys personal life shouldn't be brought to work.
    I agree totally. However, the slacker is also the right hand man of the boss so I am sure that any complaints will be met with excuses. I’ve been down that road before with my boss and a different employee. In the end, it’s up to me to handle it or not.

DLKnives

Retired Knifemaker
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 25, 2019
    Las Vegas

I agree, I would NOT deal with the coworker. I used to drink a lot and wouldn't have appreciated it and it sure wouldn't have changed anything if a coworker talked to me. Either the boss has to do something or I don't think anything will be done. Sometimes you have to find the bottom on your own and nothing anyone does will change that, and that may be where he is heading.

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 4, 2014
    Hitt,

Basically, it’s a matter of professionalism. It’s not your brief to deal with this if he isn’t under your authority. Being chummy about it is the last thing you want to do. I’d take it to the boss not even talking about the guy, but talking about the (twice) screwed up order and why that order is screwed up. That way the boss can’t come back to you when the ish hits the fan, because you have already notified him of the possibility. Maybe if you were best friends or something, you might want to have a quiet word, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Your conscience should be clear as long as you do right by the company. jmo

Oh, and if the boss comes back at you, for bringing it to him: don’t stand for it.

I’d say, “Hey, he’s YOUR guy, not MY guy.”

This is his problem.

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I agree, I would NOT deal with the coworker. I used to drink a lot and wouldn't have appreciated it and it sure wouldn't have changed anything if a coworker talked to me. Either the boss has to do something or I don't think anything will be done. Sometimes you have to find the bottom on your own and nothing anyone does will change that, and that may be where he is heading.
    I get what you’re saying but I know the boss won’t do anything from past experience.
    Hitt,

Basically, it’s a matter of professionalism. It’s not your brief to deal with this if he isn’t under your authority. Being chummy about it is the last thing you want to do. I’d take it to the boss not even talking about the guy, but talking about the (twice) screwed up order and why that order is screwed up. That way the boss can’t come back to you when the ish hits the fan, because you have already notified him of the possibility. Maybe if you were best friends or something, you might want to have a quiet word, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Your conscience should be clear as long as you do right by the company. jmo

Oh, and if the boss comes back at you, for bringing it to him: don’t stand for it.

I’d say, “Hey, he’s YOUR guy, not MY guy.”

This is his problem.
    Actually we used to be what I would call work friends. He and I used to walk together at lunch and I went to his house a couple times to help him with electrical problems. I know that the boss won’t handle it. My other option is to start ordering anything that I need myself and make myself oblivious to his issues. That might be the path I need to take and let him fall on his own.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    My other option is to start ordering anything that I need myself and make myself oblivious to his issues. That might be the path I need to take and let him fall on his own.

That sounds like the wisest choice to me Hitt. It's the best for you and the company if you are able to run your part of business independently of others.

When coworkers fail to produce they hurt the company and the bottom line. Sharp management will be aware of this and ultimately release them. Companies are not daycare centers for adults who fail to perform the function they were hired for.

In my working life I always made the conscious decision to keep work relationships strictly work related. I never went to any parties or got personal with coworkers. No after hours socializing. Brought nothing personal to work and kept those who did at two arms length. I was being paid to perform, exceed and excel at my function. Nothing more.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I’ve been trying to think of a way to have a rational conversation with him. He doesn’t answer to me but when he doesn’t do his job then it makes us all look bad. His wife passed about two years ago and about six months later he started dating this woman who he now lives with. His job performance has increasingly gotten worse the longer they have been together. I think he’s drinking a lot more and started smoking after having quit several years ago. She’s a drinker and a smoker and has rubbed off on him. How do you tell a friend/coworker that they are screwing up without being offensive or judgmental?
    Good luck.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Morning, mixers.

Dry and cool continues here. Did get a lot of the debris staged, so the pyre is due for flame. Finally.

Where is everybody? It's nearly 8am.

Nope, not here :)

1675349158086.png

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    That sounds like the wisest choice to me Hitt. It's the best for you and the company if you are able to run your part of business independently of others.

When coworkers fail to produce they hurt the company and the bottom line. Sharp management will be aware of this and ultimately release them. Companies are not daycare centers for adults who fail to perform the function they were hired for.

In my working life I always made the conscious decision to keep work relationships strictly work related. I never went to any parties or got personal with coworkers. No after hours socializing. Brought nothing personal to work and kept those who did at two arms length. I was being paid to perform, exceed and excel at my function. Nothing more.
    I already order most of the parts I need to do the equipment repairs that I work on. The only reason I give orders to him is when I don't have enough to meet the minimum order amount. That was the case with the order I gave him two weeks ago that I have been talking about. He screwed up the initial order and then didn't place the replacement order for almost a week with no reason whatsoever besides he's constantly distracted texting his girlfriend. From now on I'll just hold my own orders and wait a day or two until I need something else to add to it. It would be better than what's happening now. Right now the customer has waited over two weeks and still doesn't have their order.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I already order most of the parts I need to do the equipment repairs that I work on. The only reason I give orders to him is when I don't have enough to meet the minimum order amount. That was the case with the order I gave him two weeks ago that I have been talking about. He screwed up the initial order and then didn't place the replacement order for almost a week with no reason whatsoever besides he's constantly distracted texting his girlfriend. From now on I'll just hold my own orders and wait a day or two until I need something else to add to it. It would be better than what's happening now. Right now the customer has waited over two weeks and still doesn't have their order.
    If it is effecting your customer that badly then it should be mentioned to your boss. Even if he does nothing he can’t say you didn’t tell him.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Sleep. I just spent hours trying to sleep with a aching right shoulder, and finally got up and took a pain pill. I'll stay up until it quits hurting. No coffee, not yet.
    Sorry to hear of bad shoulder. Sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread