Random DIY mixing and More

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I'd stiil like to hear from any folks that have tried the LA Cream Cheese Icing.....................in anything.
When I first started mixing, I used a lot of Bill's (Magic Vapor) recipes. He had several Danish recipes that I liked and mixed several times. My favorite was his Cream Cheese Danish:
upload_2018-6-15_2-29-41.png

As a cream cheese forward Danish, 4% CCI was the highest it was used. the 5 or 6 others used a more subtle 1.5 - 2.0%. And, keep in mind, Bill was a High Flavor mixer.;) I was later diluting his total flavoring percentage by half to two thirds.

I did try it once in a cheesecake recipe, and it helped to boost the idea, of Philadelphia cream cheese a little bit. However, the recipe as a whole was not particularly a success, and I ditched it. As I recall, I think(?) I used 2% CCI.

@FranC, I do find it has a bit of sweetness (the "icing" note, I imagine), so start low... or even do a single flavor tester, to see if you can tolerate it. I don't find the sweetness particularly dominating, but I don't share your sensitivity to sweet either.:)

I have a weird sense of what cheesecake should be. Mom had a very "wet" recipe, that was not the least bit fluffy, dry, or dense. There was nothing "cake-like" about it. Instead it was velvety smooth, near silky. If you cut it before it set up fully the sides would even slump a little.

The filling was made of two parts: the main body is cream cheese, sugar, an egg, and a bit of lemon juice. Then it is topped with what is almost a ganache of sour cream, sugar, and a touch of vanilla. Bake, chill, and serve. It is not a tall cake. It looks more like a custard pie than a classic restaurant cheesecake. But it is divine!

this is the cheesecake I want to recreate in a vape... and I just can't get there. Both the cream cheese, and the sour cream are giving me fits. The cheesecake concentrates I have tried (TFA, CAP, and LA) are all heading the wrong way toward the Dry, fluffy, cakey, NY style. Both cream cheese, and sour cream, are tough flavors to find. I have had some limited success using Greek yogurt for the sour cream, but cream cheese has been my nemesis. I was gifted some hand-me-down FF-Cream Cheese, but I have yet to try it.
Well the champagnes are both too sweet to vape solo. With the Pink Champagne being the sweeter.The Pink has a pleasant taste but I don't know how else to describe it.The Wine has a nice light touch of fruity,also a slight boozy and fizzy taste. I don't get that from the Pink.
Did you end up mixing both of these at 6%; or something else? Thanks for sharing your impressions!:D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I’ve heard good things about flavor with rayon and needing less flavoring but also heard they can potentially be bad for our lungs. This was second hand info from an untrusted source though. I’ll have to try some.
I have to agree with David, when he said:
sounds somewhat like "don't you know you're vaping anti freeze?"
It is made up of cellulose (a wood byproduct). In its early usage, some tried to equate it to using silicon, or even fiberglass; but that is just plain hooey. If you want to try it, before you buy it, PM me and I will be happy to send you a sample gratis. I have more than I can use in two lifetimes!:D

ECF has a great thread on rayon wicking here: Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2
You can do a thread search for the keywords "safe" and "safety" and read more about it.:)

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I mixed up testers of all of my champagne flavors. I will test them out tomorrow and post my opinions here. I always thought Pink was the sweetest with some pleasant, very light berry flavor added. Guess I will find out tomorrow.
    Much interested in your findings.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    That's why I decided to finally go for chocolate. If I had to pay real money for coils I may not have. Plus I won an tank that I got an RTA deck for that has velocity style posts so it's easy to rewick.
    And then....

I got a Themis mesh thinking I'd have to buy a bunch of new coil material, much like I have Kanthal I'll never use since SS TC unless I start repairing toasters.
    But I found my sheets of mesh for gennies will work (I just haven't tasted them yet). I'm guessing I have about 500 coils worth.

Between these two easy to build tanks I can afford to waste some material on coil killers.
    It's nice to vape coil killers with no worries:)

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    When I first started mixing, I used a lot of Bill's (Magic Vapor) recipes. He had several Danish recipes that I liked and mixed several times. My favorite was his Cream Cheese Danish:
    View attachment 748527

As a cream cheese forward Danish, 4% CCI was the highest it was used. the 5 or 6 others used a more subtle 1.5 - 2.0%. And, keep in mind, Bill was a High Flavor mixer.;) I was later diluting his total flavoring percentage by half to two thirds.

I did try it once in a cheesecake recipe, and it helped to boost the idea, of Philadelphia cream cheese a little bit. However, the recipe as a whole was not particularly a success, and I ditched it. As I recall, I think(?) I used 2% CCI.

@FranC, I do find it has a bit of sweetness (the "icing" note, I imagine), so start low... or even do a single flavor tester, to see if you can tolerate it. I don't find the sweetness particularly dominating, but I don't share your sensitivity to sweet either.:)

I have a weird sense of what cheesecake should be. Mom had a very "wet" recipe, that was not the least bit fluffy, dry, or dense. There was nothing "cake-like" about it. Instead it was velvety smooth, near silky. If you cut it before it set up fully the sides would even slump a little.

The filling was made of two parts: the main body is cream cheese, sugar, an egg, and a bit of lemon juice. Then it is topped with what is almost a ganache of sour cream, sugar, and a touch of vanilla. Bake, chill, and serve. It is not a tall cake. It looks more like a custard pie than a classic restaurant cheesecake. But it is divine!

this is the cheesecake I want to recreate in a vape... and I just can't get there. Both the cream cheese, and the sour cream are giving me fits. The cheesecake concentrates I have tried (TFA, CAP, and LA) are all heading the wrong way toward the Dry, fluffy, cakey, NY style. Both cream cheese, and sour cream, are tough flavors to find. I have had some limited success using Greek yogurt for the sour cream, but cream cheese has been my nemesis. I was gifted some hand-me-down FF-Cream Cheese, but I have yet to try it.

Did you end up mixing both of these at 6%; or something else? Thanks for sharing your impressions!:D
    I did mix both champagne testers at 6%. Great idea on the CCI. I will do a tester on that. What percentage of flavor should I use?

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I did mix both champagne testers at 6%. Great idea on the CCI. I will do a tester on that. What percentage of flavor should I use?
    I would probably guess at 3-4%. But, with your aversion to sweet, I would say 3% as a stand-alone. Keep the batch size small; and dilute a small amount, if you still find it overwhelming.:)

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I would probably guess at 3-4%. But, with your aversion to sweet, I would say 3% as a stand-alone. Keep the batch size small; and dilute a small amount, if you still find it overwhelming.:)
    Thank you much. I'll do a 5ml tester at 3%. Guessing I should let this one steep awhile.......

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Thank you much. I'll do a 5ml tester at 3%. Guessing I should let this one steep awhile.......
    Again, mostly guessing, but this is likely going to need a week (maybe even two) to settle in. An early taste won't hurt; but I doubt it will be very representative of the final product.

(Disclaimer: I have only used CCI in multi-ingredient recipes; so this is all wild-asp guessing. :facepalm::D)

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Again, mostly guessing, but this is likely going to need a week (maybe even two) to settle in. An early taste won't hurt; but I doubt it will be very representative of the final product.

(Disclaimer: I have only used CCI in multi-ingredient recipes; so this is all wild-asp guessing. :facepalm::D)
    I've had this flavor for awhile but I've been afraid to use it. No problem in letting it steep a month if needed. I'm in no hurry.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    I've had this flavor for awhile but I've been afraid to use it. No problem in letting it steep a month if needed. I'm in no hurry.
    I know what works for one doesn’t always work for another. But I’ve found I like adding cci in towards the end of a steep. Maybe in the last 3-7 days, depending on the mix. For the pumpkin & pralines waffles I mentioned the other day, where cci dominated and masked the other favors after a few weeks, I’m trying it this way atm. It seems to be working. Though of course theres more than one way to arrive at the same destination.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    I have to agree with David, when he said:

It is made up of cellulose (a wood byproduct). In its early usage, some tried to equate it to using silicon, or even fiberglass; but that is just plain hooey. If you want to try it, before you buy it, PM me and I will be happy to send you a sample gratis. I have more than I can use in two lifetimes!:D

ECF has a great thread on rayon wicking here: Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2
    You can do a thread search for the keywords "safe" and "safety" and read more about it.:)
    You’re great:) I really appreciate the offer, your input and useful link! This might be in the thread but is there a certain brand of rayon you prefer?

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Trying my diluted vendor juice. It's more vapable than it was but it will be a miracle if I get through the bottle.It's no big loss at this point and more glass mixing bottles are always needed. I use only glass for my mixes. Saved some small plastic bottles for testers. I bought a baggy of 30ml plastic bottles quite awhile back for emergency mixing. I've never opened the pkg.......yet.

Users who are viewing this thread