Random DIY mixing and More

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Thus the importance of steeping. Flavors change as a mix becomes more miscible.

The best thing that you, as a brand new mixer, can do - - - IS - - - do a mix - - - then set it aside so it steeps for a good 10 - 14 days for 10ml mixes using fruits.

Expect to steep for 30 days with bakery type flavors, creams and custards.

Leave your mix alone - - - don't vape any - - - until it is well steeped. Then, and only then, vape and judge your mixes. Tweak them as needed ONLY after a good long steep!!!

All (ALL) mixes change over time as flavors/VG/PG/nic develop into a homogeneous mixture.
    The only other thing I would add is some mixes take longer than that to steep.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    @Mediocre00Rebel making DIY juices is not the same as baking chocolate chip cookies. You can eat chocolate chip cookies out of the oven, after a 1-2 minute cool-down, and they will taste pretty much the same as they will the next day, week or month.

DIY'ing e-juice is not like that, at all. DIY takes time, effort and patience. There are no shortcuts whatsoever.

Mediocre00Rebel

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 23, 2022
    Thus the importance of steeping. Flavors change as a mix becomes more miscible.

The best thing that you, as a brand new mixer, can do - - - IS - - - do a mix - - - then set it aside so it steeps for a good 10 - 14 days for 10ml mixes using fruits.

Expect to steep for 30 days with bakery type flavors, creams and custards.

Leave your mix alone - - - don't vape any - - - until it is well steeped. Then, and only then, vape and judge your mixes. Tweak them as needed ONLY after a good long steep!!!

All (ALL) mixes change over time as flavors/VG/PG/nic develop into a homogeneous mixture.
    Not to be annoying but I see people say they mix and vape immediately, what's up with that. Also ok I will leave them alone now. I initially though maybe 48 hours would be enough. I'm worried the first ones I mixed might now have enough flavor cause I only did 10%. I'm gonna make some more at 20% and let those sit too. Then I can see which is better later on.

Reactions: FranC

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Not to be annoying but I see people say they mix and vape immediately, what's up with that. Also ok I will leave them alone now. I initially though maybe 48 hours would be enough. I'm worried the first ones I mixed might now have enough flavor cause I only did 10%. I'm gonna make some more at 20% and let those sit too. Then I can see which is better later on.
    When I first started mixing it was common for my mixes to have 20+ % flavor. The longer I mixed the lower it got. I’m not afraid to use up to 15% flavors now but many I use are less than 10%. It depends on the recipe and how concentrated the flavors you’re using are.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Not to be annoying but I see people say they mix and vape immediately

There are some who do exactly that. Some do not care how their mixes change over time. I question the level of expertise with some.

All the very experienced mixers that I know on ECF, on ELR, over at VU, on ATF (and several other places) do pretty much the same as you are being advised to do here.

I've been mixing my own juices since 2012.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here is the Bottom Line - - - if you like the juices you make right after mixing them, cool, go for it. But, I will tell you this, each of those kinds of mixes will change, and taste different, over time.

You've already mentioned how your mixes have changed from one day. So, yeah. Give them time to steep.

As I previously stated, there are no shortcuts in DIY.

dennism

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 18, 2015
    Maryland
    Are you saying BCF has said there won't be a Memorial Day sale this year?

I just checked BCF's FB page, nothing is listed yet.

They list all their sales on their FB page. Last year BCF announced their Memorial Day 15% off sale on 29 May (Sunday) the day before MemDay and it ran through 31 May (Tuesday).

If they're having a sale this year, they may not announce it until this Sunday.
    I'm going to wait until Tuesday.

Reactions: FranC

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    There are some who do exactly that. Some do not care how their mixes change over time. I question the level of expertise with some.

All the very experienced mixers that I know on ECF, on ELR, over at VU, on ATF (and several other places) do pretty much the same as you are being advised to do here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here is the Bottom Line - - - if you like the juices you make right after mixing them, cool, go for it. But, I will tell you this, each of those kinds of mixes will change, and taste different, over time.

You've already mentioned how your mixes have changed from one day. So, yeah. Give them time to steep.

You might as well give up. Some folks will never listen to those who are. experienced

Mediocre00Rebel

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 23, 2022

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thank you. I know you said no shortcuts but I really do like the way putting just a couple drips of the diy into my atomizer positively changed my favorite commercial juices. The flavor from just a couple drips sticks with all the rest of the juice in the tank. It's like I can vape my diy while I'm waiting. Most of the reason I bought the flavors I did is because I was trying to pick them out from my favorite juice. The flavor varies like crazy though. One minute it tastes like strawberry poprocks, then guava candy, next it tastes like a whole bunch of tropical stuff. Then it tastes like sweet tea, and then banana. I really wanna clone this juice but I can't figure it out!

Mediocre00Rebel

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 23, 2022
    When I first started mixing it was common for my mixes to have 20+ % flavor. The longer I mixed the lower it got. I’m not afraid to use up to 15% flavors now but many I use are less than 10%. It depends on the recipe and how concentrated the flavors you’re using are.
    Thank you for the insight.

Reactions: hittman

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I had to mow tonight and was watering our newer trees afterwards. I went to move the hose and the short hose that goes from the faucet to the hose reel had split and was spraying water everywhere.
    Good thing you saw it.

Reactions: hittman

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Morning, mixers.

Still summer here, but nicely only the low 80s, and said to be cooler for the weekend. Yeah, mowing and whacking can wait :)

The flavor varies like crazy though. One minute it tastes like strawberry poprocks, then guava candy, next it tastes like a whole bunch of tropical stuff. Then it tastes like sweet tea, and then banana. I really wanna clone this juice but I can't figure it out!

Sounding like a bad record, steeping. It might actually come close once you give it enough time.

And, adding insult to injury :)facepalm:) you might want / need to do SFTs - single flavor testers - to learn how each flavor works by itself. Yeah, not fun, but, especially when starting out, and NOT knowing what a flavor NAME actually tastes like, hard to tell how it might interact.

1685112760952.png

Users who are viewing this thread