Rayon Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Mine's pretty full too. I was using way too long rayon lengths at first, you really don't need much.

Anna

I cut a 6 inch length and then cut off about an inch and a half from that, then I split it for width. That's about 8 wicks from a 6 inch piece. The box lasts and lasts.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    I cut a 6 inch length and then cut off about an inch and a half from that, then I split it for width. That's about 8 wicks from a 6 inch piece. The box lasts and lasts.
    This is after about 75 feet missing from use and letting friends try it out, by the way this was 4 yrs ago and after cutting 50 ft for myself that was then cut into smaller resealable bags. Haven't touched again since then.

20171129_160829.jpg

Ben Killeen

ECF Veteran
    Dec 28, 2018
    Finland (British)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    So I’m interested in this stuff, they don’t actually sell it in Finland, and the only stuff the vape shop sells here is cotton bacon and a Japanese silk wick (not tried yet).

But from amazon it’s quite expensive and they won’t ship to Finland

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...ayon+44130&dpPl=1&dpID=21hzIm7QRjL&ref=plSrch

Agreed. Rayon in the EU/UK is kinda hard to source. I paid about a Euro per meter plus delivery.

If you like, I can send you a bit to try out.
    PM me if you are interested.

Cheers
    I

bask

ECF Veteran
    Dec 17, 2012
    The Euroneous Zone
    they don’t actually sell it in Finland
    Have you been able to find the word in your local language, though? It helped me to find the words used for the stuff. It did, however, turn out to be a bit of a struggle to find. I did manage to find it and never ordered or thought of it again. Last year someone gave me quite a bit, but never got to actually trying it out, as I thought semi-synthetic sounded kinda sketchy I guess.

Reactions: stols001

Ben Killeen

ECF Veteran
    Dec 28, 2018
    Finland (British)
    Have you been able to find the word in your local language, though? It helped me to find the words used for the stuff. It did, however, turn out to be a bit of a struggle to find. I did manage to find it and never ordered or thought of it again. Last year someone gave me quite a bit, but never got to actually trying it out, as I thought semi-synthetic sounded kinda sketchy I guess.
    I’ve tried to, my partner doesn’t want to help as she is a bit fed up with all this vaping talk haha.
    And Finnish is the hardest language in the world.
    Their word for dragon is brilliant though, lohikäärme.
    Lohi = salmon
    Käärme = snake
    So dragon in Finnish is salmon snake.

hiclass

ECF Veteran
    Aug 11, 2016

In my case, I rewick when the degrade of flavor goes beyond my tolerance.
    In the past, I use cotton (Muji etc.), the average of rewick is 3-4 days once.
    A few months ago, I start using rayon and it is obviously more lasting than cotton. In average, I now rewick 6-7 days once.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Those are dm Viskose balls and are very nice, a little more work involved as you have to unroll them but well worth it over Sally's. I had 6 bags smuggled out of Germany through Belgium and shipped to Canada. :D

ebelin Wattebällchen, 100 St dauerhaft günstig online kaufen | dm.de
    Looks good. May not be the exact package I was thinking about, but "100% Viskose" is the right stuff, and for less than 1,- Euro it's kinda hard to go wrong. :)

I gave away my box of Graham's Cellucotton when I got a box of 1000 large Tidi brand balls back in 2014. A bit more work to un-roll, yes, but I think it's a higher quality product that has less of the nutty new-wick break-in taste.

bask

ECF Veteran
    Dec 17, 2012
    The Euroneous Zone
    In my case, I rewick when the degrade of flavor goes beyond my tolerance...
    In average, I now rewick 6-7 days once.
    I would say that is true for me as well, but I'm also lazy, so I also just switch up tanks and avoid rewicking for a few days. :D But that sounds good. Maybe I should give rayon a chance.

I just didn't think people would find cotton so horrible. And I thought we moved from silica to cotton, because of synthetic particles in the lungs, but I still don't fully understand what viscose is exactly. Anyways, I'll give it a try. If I don't like it, maybe someone else will.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Koh Gen Do cotton is an acceptable substitute for Rayon if you can't find a rayon source. Cotton fouls much more quickly and requires replacement much more often to maintain flavor than rayon and typically has a break in taste, but you have to use what's available in your area.

Ben Killeen

ECF Veteran
    Dec 28, 2018
    Finland (British)
    Koh Gen Do cotton is an acceptable substitute for Rayon if you can't find a rayon source. Cotton fouls much more quickly and requires replacement much more often to maintain flavor than rayon and typically has a break in taste, but you have to use what's available in your area.
    Any experience with Japanese silk?
    They sell that in our local

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    And I thought we moved from silica to cotton, because of synthetic particles in the lungs,
    Most of us moved to cotton because it's a better wick; it does a better job at keeping coils wet than silica does, and rayon is even better.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I still have some silica wicking that I sometimes use with a dripper atty for testing DIY juices. I like the IGO-L. it's easy to clean and gives a decent impression of a juice's flavor. Of course, we all know that the same juice will usually have different nuances across several atomizers.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread