Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Rayon wicks can last 5 to 7 days easily vaping mostly unflavored DIY juice.
I'm surprised it's that short. I generally get 3-4 weeks out of a rayon wick in my ADV mod on unflavored, and even then, it's really more the coil that needs cleaning rather than the wick being a problem.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
ETA2: As I recall it, people started switching to cotton when rebuilding became popular. It was a pain to wind a coil around silica rope--we had to stick a needle through the rope to stabilize it first. I hated that process and never could get it quite right. With cotton, you made a coil first (toothpicks and skinny drill bits were handy) and then just cut the wick to fit the coil. We started with organic cotton balls from Walgreens. :)

Never could get that quite right either. And I had an even worse time with those Evod//T3/pro-tank-II style "non-rebuildable" modules that people would rebuild... I don't think I ever got a single one of those right, come to think of it. They would either leak or dry-hit. Well... They often did that anyways brand-new -- just that rebuilding them led to it being always.

ETA1: I wonder if the wicking wasn't so good because the fibers were twisted into ropes. This may have impeded wicking. Hmm... I might go and find some old silica ropes and try to untwist them. :facepalm: Maybe not.

If you want, I could send you ~130ft of Fastech's 2mm silica with which you can carry out these important experimental endeavers!
Please? For scientific purposes?? Anyone??? :tumble:

But silica never burns. :D

This and my surplus is why I developed a technique to re-wick silica in-place. I use it from time-to-time in drippers. I once tried a combo rayon-tufts/silica wick in a Kayfun 5 tank (so I could just dry-burn), and was more successful than I thought I was going to be, but I kinda gave up on that for now.

I don't really think silica wicking is as bad as we used to remember it with those old-style tanks. My main drippers I used back then were those 'octopus' type with multiple strands - and those were mostly fine - that is, until I needed to re-wick (aka recoil) myself. :eek: So that multiple-strand thing carried over to my more modern in-place technique.

But I do have to wonder: just how much of my 3lb/900ft box of rayon will I be stranded with when something better comes along? :-x

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
ETA2: As I recall it, people started switching to cotton when rebuilding became popular. It was a pain to wind a coil around silica rope--we had to stick a needle through the rope to stabilize it first. I hated that process and never could get it quite right. With cotton, you made a coil first (toothpicks and skinny drill bits were handy) and then just cut the wick to fit the coil. We started with organic cotton balls from Walgreens. :)

ETA1: I wonder if the wicking wasn't so good because the fibers were twisted into ropes. This may have impeded wicking. Hmm... I might go and find some old silica ropes and try to untwist them. :facepalm: Maybe not.

But silica never burns. :D

I still have part of a bag of Walgreens organic cotton balls, if you need a few...

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
If you want, I could send you ~130ft of Fastech's 2mm silica with which you can carry out these important experimental endeavers!

I still have part of a bag of Walgreens organic cotton balls, if you need a few...

Thank you very much, gentlemen, but I have enough of my own. :lol:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I use to love Ekowool over Mesh in the Gennys.
5zQrPpwl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread