Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Thanks everyone for your quick response. Have seriously blown my ecig budget for the immediate future (See Shinyitis Support Group) but Rayon is definitely on my ToDo list. I have a really small Aspire Quad Flex tank, and it sounds ideal. When using traditional materials I was thinking of of taking the wick tails half way down inside the tank, would that technique be suitable for Rayon if they were thinned out?

Don't use that tank, but sounds like a good starting point :)

If it leaks, try not thinning as much as the leaky one. :2c:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Thanks everyone for your quick response. Have seriously blown my ecig budget for the immediate future (See Shinyitis Support Group) but Rayon is definitely on my ToDo list. I have a really small Aspire Quad Flex Tank, and it sounds ideal. When using traditional materials I was thinking of of taking the wick tails half way down inside the tank, would that technique be suitable for Rayon if they were thinned out?
I assume you will be using the Quad Flex in RDTA mode?
On my RDTA's such as the Limitless Plus, Combo, Serpent and others that have come and gone. I cut off the upper 50% of the tail 1mm to 2mm away from the edge of the coil (all depends on the coil ID I don't usually build smaller than 3.5mm), then trim the tails so they are just peeking out below the decks wick holes.

Be sure not to stuff too much down those holes choking off juice flow, RDTAs are not leak proof and will drain if laid on their side. There is no need to bring wick tails all the way down to the bottom of the tank or even halfway as they get saturated every time you tilt it to vape and the extra wick just takes up juice space. ;) Finding the right density in those holes takes a little trial and error. You don't want them so loose that juice will pour out around them or too tight that it air locks the tank causing dry hits.

I treat RDTAs as drippers with a really deep wells. :D

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thanks everyone for your quick response. Have seriously blown my ecig budget for the immediate future (See Shinyitis Support Group) but Rayon is definitely on my ToDo list. I have a really small Aspire Quad Flex Tank, and it sounds ideal. When using traditional materials I was thinking of of taking the wick tails half way down inside the tank, would that technique be suitable for Rayon if they were thinned out?

I've been vaping and recoiling on a 40ft roll of Rayon in the blue box for a couple of years now. It's still half full, FWIW. I waste some because I'm ticky about perfectly straight fibers in the wicking. I cherry pick the material out of a 6" length from the box and discard some of it. I don't waste a lot, but I'd say that 10% goes in the trash and I'm still working out of my original box with about half left.

I typically cut a 6" length from the box and that stays in a ziplock inside a snap top box with all my recoiling tools and supplies. I get about 2 or 3 weeks to a month or more of wicking from the 6" piece depending on how many atomizers I have in rotation.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hmm... I have started using less (a lot less) and even twisting together different strands to get to just the right length. I just rewicked (and occasionally recoiled) every RTA I have going in search of the more space around Anna to avoid mod breaking mishaps. I must say, it also looks a lot tidier in here.

Super pleased with myself for installing a SS Clapton in my "Tea" Siren, that mix is turning out so well.

There is no reason why I cannot keep all my tools in a bag in the vape closet and just take out what I need... Seriously.

I'm not really worried about my rayon supply, I just enjoy being frugal. :) When I'm not spending recklessly. Etc.

Anna

jameth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Southern Utah
Been vaping since 2009, somehow missed the rayon train until yesterday when I stumbled upon this thread.

Ran over to Sallys' and got my lifetime supply 500' box for $16, wicked up a GeekVape Peerless RDTA, and a Kayfun v5 squared, and oh...my.....

Good bye cotton!

THIS is where its at, quite literally shocked at how well it works as compared to cotton.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Been vaping since 2009, somehow missed the rayon train until yesterday when I stumbled upon this thread.

Ran over to Sallys' and got my lifetime supply 500' box for $16, wicked up a GeekVape Peerless RDTA, and a Kayfun v5 squared, and oh...my.....

Good bye cotton!

THIS is where its at, quite literally shocked at how well it works as compared to cotton.
Better late than never! :thumbs:

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015

Good bye cotton!

Yay! Welcome to team Rayon!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Rayon was a game changer for me. Flavor and longevity were two major benefits. The vapor is definitely better with Rayon. Juice doesn't seem to crust up on Rayon like it did with Cotton. I always find myself thinking that I could reuse the Rayon wick when I'm changing a crusty coil.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    I also love how forgiving Rayon is, a couple of times I forgot to lock a mod when pocketing it and it fired for a bit but a quick rinse of the coil and I made it through the day vaping until I made it home to rewick. If it was cotton that burnt taste would not be rinsed away temporarily.

Last edited:

alan53

Jun 10, 2018
    Rayon is King..my first time useing some was some a Dr gave me at the hospital...i asked is it rayon..he showed me it was..lol...so when i got home i wicked up a Griffin 25...it hated cotton....so took my time wicking an reading info on useing it....will got it wicked an filled...let it sit an hour to see if she leaked..none..happy...now when i vaped it..first thing i noticed was no cotton tatste...that week i ran to Sally's beauty an got a big box of it...been using it over a year now..i have close to 60 Atties..but a little goes a long ways an u dont have to change it much at all....best stuff ever for vapeing

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    Sadly I don't have a similar story to share about rayon. As for rebuildables, I am and was a heavy user of nickel wire. But some have been bugging me to use SS and/or titanium wire. Well I have been using SS316L first and the flavor seems fine (so was nickel), but the same ADV juice I have been using for 3 years now clogs up SS wire in 2 to 3 days. With nickel, it just flakes right off and no cleaning or anything for a long time. Here is a pic of SS wire with my ADV and the last time I had used rayon. I waited too long to clean and this was after 6 days. Sorry I hit it with a rinse in the sink and it messed up the left side wicking before taking a pic. I did this hoping it would just rinse off.

Vapefly Galaxies RDTA SS316L sm.jpg

The problem with rayon is that is takes a dozen or so of ml of juice to go through it before the flavor gets good. Well these SS wires can't go that long before I have to tear everything apart again and redo everything with fresh wicking. And I get great flavor from the get go with my organic cotton.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    If you like nickel, it's taste and performance, then I'd say stick with it, but have you tried it with rayon?

And what many of us do is saturate and fire a few times, rewetting as needed, before final assembly of the topper. Gets the flavor moving well :2c:

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I mean if nickel is working for you better, I don't see the problem. I don't dislike SS but I do find that once my coil gets "elderly" it can gunk up more quickly.

I use the saturate and fire technique as well, not only does it get rid of any rayon taste but well, I am sure I have everything tucked in neatly, where I want it and firing well before I fill etc.
    You might try it whatever coil you are using it will take away quite a bit of the break in taste, in my experience.

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread