Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
Just puttin this here from biotecharticles.com as an FYI, it's important to share all sides then let the individual decide:

Toxic Fibers and Fabrics

Rayon: Viscose or rayon is derived from cellulose of wood pulp or bamboo. Cellulose is natural starting material but it is processed by chemical treatments involving carbon disulphide, sulfuric acid, chlorine and caustic soda. Carbon disulphide is released into the environment in gaseous form alongwith other 3 hazardous chemicals. Their combined toxic effects are carried on heart, skin and nervous system. Carbon disulphide poisoning is similar to alcohol intoxication causing restlessness, unconsciousness, depression and sometimes death. Carbon disulphide is also emitted from rayon fabric. Ill health effects like nausea, vomiting, headache, chest and muscle pain and insomnia can be observed in people who wear rayon clothing regularly. Other toxicity effects are tissue necrosis, anorexia, polyneuropathy, paralysis, insomnia and Parkinson's disease. Chronic toxic effects on aquatic system, death or low growth of plants, shortened life span and reproductive effects in animals are also associated with toxicity caused by rayon factory effluents.

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
When I found it on eBay, or Amazon, don't remember, the were 2 available, I took one and let everyone know about the last one, I'm not only willing but looking forward to others experience. We'll all learn more, faster, that's the goal.

Our we'll all get cancer, aids, rabies, or whatever together....

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Just puttin this here from biotecharticles.com as an FYI, it's important to share all sides then let the individual decide:

Thanks bob will look into it. Vomiting from wearing rayon..? Sounds a little outlandish, will have to check the true sources and what research is behind it...

Regarding tencel/ lyocell / new rayon - it is produced in a safe non-toxic manner compared to traditional rayon. I have hopes that it will prove to be safe for our use with no worries of the unknown.

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Oh wait there were no sources.. Look at some of the comments in red at the bottom.
- Toxic Fibers and Fabrics

One comment
"this article is not to be taken seriously, nylon, polyester and even cotton is treated with chemicals. the claims in this article is unsubstantiated and should be ignored completely. please stop writing such misguiding articles. - noonon 2013-06-21

bunnomatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Conway,SC
Sounds like DON"T breathe or drink the liquid/fumes used to process the finished product. I would be more interested in the the safety issues of using the finished product rather than the effluents from the factory.

Toxic Fibers and Fabrics

Rayon: Viscose or rayon is derived from cellulose of wood pulp or bamboo. Cellulose is natural starting material but it is processed by chemical treatments involving carbon disulphide, sulfuric acid, chlorine and caustic soda. Carbon disulphide is released into the environment in gaseous form alongwith other 3 hazardous chemicals. Their combined toxic effects are carried on heart, skin and nervous system. Carbon disulphide poisoning is similar to alcohol intoxication causing restlessness, unconsciousness, depression and sometimes death. Carbon disulphide is also emitted from rayon fabric. Ill health effects like nausea, vomiting, headache, chest and muscle pain and insomnia can be observed in people who wear rayon clothing regularly. Other toxicity effects are tissue necrosis, anorexia, polyneuropathy, paralysis, insomnia and Parkinson's disease. Chronic toxic effects on aquatic system, death or low growth of plants, shortened life span and reproductive effects in animals are also associated with toxicity caused by rayon factory effluents.

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
Fun fact : the cotton stuffed inside zippo lighters to hold the fuel.... Is rayon!

While looking into rayon I found rayon balls from wound care company, that's where I get cotton balls from, sterile not organic, but I'm not sure if they are 100%. It seems that they like to use a rayon poly blend which is not ok for us.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vapin Dave

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
No, you do not want any polyester in a wick at all.
They probably use rayon in zippos because it wicks completely dry, where as cotton would hold the fuel in itself, essentially working like crap.

I have to admit even with no real evidence of traditional rayon being dangerous in our use, the dangerous talk does have a chilling effect. Which Is precisely why most have not been in this thread or even considered trying it. All someone has to say is something will kill you, even if its not proven to, and people will run. Kinda like all this about ecigs are bad for you. People come up and say that's bad for you, I heard their dangerous, blow up in your face, ect. That type of propaganda creates a chilling effect.

Once again I hope the lyocell/ tencel will end the worry.

Last edited:

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
Oh wait there were no sources.. Look at some of the comments in red at the bottom.
- Toxic Fibers and Fabrics

One comment
"this article is not to be taken seriously, nylon, polyester and even cotton is treated with chemicals. the claims in this article is unsubstantiated and should be ignored completely. please stop writing such misguiding articles. - noonon 2013-06-21

I hear ya buddy, while we don't know who 'noone' is, Sonali Bhawsar has a Phd in Microbiology, with 70+ articles published, I think a bit more credible

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
That article reads a lot like the don't eat tuna fish of the 90's, ie it's the process that's dangerous not the end result. Besides if you get the alternative version, the one made from a green process, you'd not have all those dangerous, nasty chemicals.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
That article reads a lot like the don't eat tuna fish of the 90's, ie it's the process that's dangerous not the end result. Besides if you get the alternative version, the one made from a green process, you'd not have all those dangerous, nasty chemicals.

Are you serious? Do you not know the levels of mercury in fish like Tuna and Swordfish? You don't think that's real?

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
Are you serious? Do you not know the levels of mercury in fish like Tuna and Swordfish? You don't think that's real?
The don't eat tuna in the 90's was because they weren't using techniques that kept them from accidentally catching all manner of other species like dolphins. Just sticking huge nets in the ocean and scooping up everything along with the tuna they wanted. I know once the whole uproar hit the fan they pretty quickly changed fishing practices.

Should have been a bit clearer so that folk would know exactly what I was talking about.

weinner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2012
ohio :-(
Unless you're educated in organic chemistry, you're not going to comprehend the manufacturing process and the solvents used. If you research on how every chemical you put in your body is synthesized, then you wouldn't take medication, only drink water, and only eat fruits, vegetables, and meat you kill. If you're sincerely worried about the solvents used in the manufacturing process of rayon then I suggest you don't do the research because I gerentee you ingest products that uses chemicals in the process manufacturing that are much more volatile to the human body.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread